Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Upgrading Problem

Options
  • 10-04-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any help on this would be much appreciated;

I've an old machine but it has been doing me fine up until recently it started to crash quite often. In the near future I will be buy/building a replacement but until then I thought a quick memory upgrade would keep my machine going until the funds have accumulated for the replacement.

So its an old gateway (athlon 1ghz, came with 128mb ram, added another 256mb stick shortly after as well as numberous other upgrades)

Its pretty old so it takes DIMM DDR Memory and my shiny new 512 stick came arrived today, however since trying to upgrade i've been having an awful lot of trouble.

ok, how to explain this;

I've tried everything and I can't get my machine to recognise the 512 stick and now it wont even recognise the 256 stick.

There are three slots and no matter what combination I try, the machine will only ever recognise the 128 piece.

When I have tried with just one of the other two (256 or 512), or even both I get the "beeping" noise that tells me they are not installed properly when i try to boot even though they are.

When i boot with a combination of 128 and one of the other two It boots but only recognises the 128.

When I try all three i get the blue screen of death every time while booting.

(one thing that has crossed my mind is that maybe the 256 stick has been broken for a while and that caused the increased crashing and im only noticing that now but that doesn't really explain why the new one wont work)

And to be honest the two old sticks dont concern me as much, i'd just be delighted to get it to work with the 512 by itself.

If anyone has any advice. I've tried going though the BIOS and Safe mode to no avail.

Operating system is Win2k by the way.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Got it sorted.

Thanks anyway!

Advertisement