Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash MP3 Players that support flac

• 10-04-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all... wondering if you can help me with this. I've searched for the past week for an MP3 player that fits these criteria but can't seem to find any... am I being too fussy??

- Flash memory (not HDD)
    - Slot for expanding memory
    - At least 16G (although I'm willing to go lower as long as it has a memory card slot)
    - Supports FLAC

I am also aware of the Rockbox firmware which supports FLAC but I've had a look at what models they support and they don't fit the above criteria either.

Had my heart set on one of those Zen X-Fi 32G players then discovered none of the Creative players support FLAC. Was also looking at the Cowon iAudio flash players but they have no memory slot. Any help would be much appreciated... thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The Cowon D2 seems perfect for you:

Flash Memory - check (8 or 16gb)
    Slot for expansion - check (SDHC)
    Min 16gb - check
    FLAC support - check

Rockbox is currently in development for it too, but ya know - don't expect full support for a while, right now it's more than usable if you don't mind sacrificing write support and expansion support :P

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mickeyfitzray

Thanks Mactard! Just after posting I actually stumbled upon the D2. I had seen it before but the pictures I seen looked quite bulky (I take my mp3 player with me everywhere!!) but I've been assured it's quite slim and not as bulky as the HDD Cowons. Can you confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mickeyfitzray

OK scratch that last post... I've just realised it's my own stupidity that made me think the D2 was a bit of a brick (thanks to my girlfriend who thinks it's hilarious and is telling her whole family!!)... was never any good at fractions at school anyway :o

Thanks a million Mactard... think I've found my new player!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

There's also the newer D2+ available, it's pretty much the same thing but is a bit prettier...infact you can even put the new D2+ Firmware on the "old" (or Legacy) D2.

Anyway glad to help, the D2 isn't huge but I suppose every mm counts these days :P

Advertisement