Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.T-Mobile.ie ?

• 10-04-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I know T-mobile have been looking to move into the Irish market in the past.
    A friend of mine has told me that they might be looking to buy an Irish network - likely to be 3 Ireland.

Then this morning I noticed that www.tmobile.ie and www.t-mobile.ie are both active and redirect to the Tmobile International website.

Anyone know anything about these rumours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

A friend of mine has told me

How would he know?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

works for tmobile UK and it was mentioned by an area manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

why likely to be 3, t-mobile and 3 share masts in the UK....there more partners than anything...

one of meteors parents are in voluntary administration at the moment, they would seem like the obvious company to make an offer on...

t-mobile to buy meteor and then form a partnership with 3, it'll give 3 the 2G coverage it needs and t-mobile the 3G coverage it requires.....what u think?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

what u think?...

Fine apart from the fact that Eircom have already bought Meteor. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think he knows that. Babcock and brown (who own eircom) went into administration a month or two back I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume Eircom wont be effected?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sully wrote: »
    I assume Eircom wont be effected?
    No idea to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

No idea to be honest.

Is T-mobile still owner by Deutsche Telekom? If so the Eircom business could be integrated there if it was up for sale too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Richard wrote: »
    Is T-mobile still owner by Deutsche Telekom? If so the Eircom business could be integrated there if it was up for sale too.

t-mobile is a subsidiary of Deutche Telekom, the t stands for Telekom..

I don't know can eircom sell off meteor, the government blocked the split of the company before. Hutch were pretty interested in Meteor, there owner Li Ka Shing has approched eircom. No comment from anybody after that. (january)
    Eircom was bought in 2006 for €2.3billion, it then had a debt mountain of €4.3bn back them. (5th time in 10 years)
    Eircom now has a debt mountain of €6 billion and Meteor has a valuation of €1bn, how much would you offfer for both?

the more i think about it, t-mobile to buy 3 dosen't make much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

It happened me twice that when I was testing two handsets with vodafone ie I rang vodafone customer care who then gave me a phone number to ring which was 087 but it went through to the TMOBILE voicemail of 087xxxxxxxx

This is back ages ago but was reminded of this by reading this thread. I dont know how/why I reached the T mobile answering service but it did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

why likely to be 3, t-mobile and 3 share masts in the UK....there more partners than anything...

one of meteors parents are in voluntary administration at the moment, they would seem like the obvious company to make an offer on...

t-mobile to buy meteor and then form a partnership with 3, it'll give 3 the 2G coverage it needs and t-mobile the 3G coverage it requires.....what u think?...

So you're saying that:
    • Reduce competition by combining two operators.
    • Buy a 2G network for nothing other than backup coverage you already have, even though the objective of 3 is to build a 3G network covering 99.9% of Ireland anyway?
    • and, all this while ignoring the fact Meteor have a 3G network.

Doesn't make sence to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This post has been deleted.
    IEDR run a pretty tight ship, and squatting is much harder with .ie domains.

Adro947 wrote: »
    So you're saying that:
    • Reduce competition by combining two operators.
    • Buy a 2G network for nothing other than backup coverage you already have, even though the objective of 3 is to build a 3G network covering 99.9% of Ireland anyway?
    • and, all this while ignoring the fact Meteor have a 3G network.

Doesn't make sence to me.

When he says partners he means share masts or masts locations. The two companies would still compete for customers. Vodafone and 02 share masts and mast locations here. Also while meteor do have a 3g network, 3s would have much better coverage (pity they over sold the living crap out of it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

According to the domain registration on whois it expires on 31 January 2010 so they must have it from at least January this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Doesn't a business have to have an Irish address before they can legally register a .ie domain?

-goes off to whois-

brian-1000h:~ admin$ whois t-mobile.ie

% Rights restricted by copyright; http://www.domainregistry.ie/copyright.html
    % Do not remove this notice

domain:      t-mobile.ie
    descr:       Deutsche Telekom AG
    descr:       BODY CORPORATE (LTD,PLC,COMPANY)
    descr:       Corporate Name
    admin-c:     ABM594-IEDR
    tech-c:      ABM595-IEDR
    renewal:     31-January-2010
    nserver:     NS1.LOVELLSNAMES.ORG
    nserver:     NS3.LOVELLSNAMES.ORG
    nserver:     NS4.LOVELLSNAMES.ORG
    source:      IEDR

person:      Marion Schoeberl
    nic-hdl:     ABM594-IEDR

person:      Dietrich Meyer
    nic-hdl:     ABM595-IEDR

Hmm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

TMobile isnt a registered business in Ireland from what I can see. They seem to have registered the domain based on information given to the IEDR stating how they have an irish connection to the domain (usually an Irish business but I assume in this case they said they had intentions of setting up in Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Possiby start with a bid on the 900mhz licence? They might be temped to go for that and launch some dirt cheap options that sure would be interesting some of there sim only options in the uk are insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

jimmii wrote: »
    Possiby start with a bid on the 900mhz licence? They might be temped to go for that and launch some dirt cheap options that sure would be interesting some of there sim only options in the uk are insane!

Which license is that? There are three GSM licenses (on the 900/1800 MHz bands) and four 3G licenses (on the 1900/2100 MHz bands).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

jmccrohan wrote: »
    It is still possible. For a small outlay of €20 any idiot can register a business name and then register the .ie domain. I don't believe the IEDR are that fussy once their ass is covered by the busines name cert.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is still possible. For a small outlay of €20 any idiot can register a business name and then register the .ie domain. I don't believe the IEDR are that fussy once their ass is covered by the busines name cert.

Aye but its a lot more then just 20euro and you can expect a few weeks wait by the time its all sorted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But squatting can be done and once someone complains the IEDR sends them to WIPO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jmccrohan wrote: »

true but companys can still reg in Ireland, look at aol.ie its been reged for years but has not offered services in Ireland (still owned by America On-Line)

Advertisement