Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Blackburn Rovers - Match Thread (KO 12.45pm)

• 10-04-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Current odds:

Liverpool: 1-4
    Draw: 9-2
    Blackburn: 11-1

Gerrard may or may not start, and with the game right in the middle of two Champions League games, Benitez likely to play a weakened side.

Rovers also fielding a weak team, with Cruz and Roberts both out.

IMO, Liverpool to take a cagey 2-0 win.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

EDIT:

Gerrard in squad, Benitez to make late decision whether to start him or not.

Santa Cruz is a doubt, but not confirmed in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Current odds:

Liverpool: 1-4
    Draw: 9-2
    Blackburn: 11-1

Gerrard may or may not start, and with the game right in the middle of two Champions League games, Benitez likely to play a weakened side.

Rovers also fielding a weak team, with Cruz and Roberts both out.

IMO, Liverpool to take a cagey 2-0 win.

Why would benitez play a weakened squad? As a liverpool fan the premiership would take priority over the champions league this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

OK, should have clarified. That's only my opinion on what I think he'll do, since it's Rovers at home and we have a chance, however slim, in Europe.

But I'm with you. Forget Europe, go all guns blazing for the league. I'm just not sure if Benitez will see it that way. Hope I'm wrong, though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Liverpool won't field a weakened team. He may mix it up a bit on the left side like last weekend, but that is not weakening the team any I think.

If Gerrard is injured we may well see either Babel in as a direct replacement, or else Kuyt as part of a front 2 with Benayoun coming in on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

IMO benitez should not play a weakened team, the strongest selection available should be played, fire everything at them early and then rest players. The pressure needs to be kept on united and as they take the field at sunderland, another victory from us should be ringing in their ears.

I think benitez will do this, because the alternative is just stupid at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Either.

Pepe

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Dossenna

Masch----Alonso

Kuyt
    Benni
    Babel

Nando

or

Pepe

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Insua

Masch----Lucas

Kuyt
    Benni
    Dossenna

Nando

IMO.

Can't see Gerrard starting.
    I'd love to see Babel start personally.
    I think his pace could give Blackburn problems.
    As 5starpool said the whole left is interchangable, with Agger or Lucas possibly coming in for Alonso or Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

babel ?? last time i seen him against blackburn he was total rubbish...

everyone goe's on about his pace... i never seen him run fast in my life, he only runs into people....he never looks interested...hope he's sold in the summer...infact he's dead to me..

mada999 wrote: »

everyone goe's on about his pace... i never seen him run fast in my life, he only runs into people....he never looks interested...hope he's sold in the summer...infact he's dead to me..

I'm sure he's going to cry himself to sleep at night now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mada999 wrote: »

lol :D. Ya swear he slept with your missus :pac:

I can see Insua come in at left back. Gerrard shouldn't be risked if there is any doubt, like to see Yossi come in as a direct replacement and can see one of Carra/Skrtle replaced by Agger.

Heres a few links to the game for those without access to the tv channel for whatever reason........

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6816
    YES

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/71091
    Setanta

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/73257
    NTV

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/74348
    Tzonner

i will try to add more links as i find them, enjoy.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Heres a few links to the game for those without access to the tv channel for whatever reason........

YES

Setanta

NTV

Tzonner

And don't forget www.iraqgoals.com/en

Always great for the prem matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

could we see hypia and lucas in today.

Hope we dont see babel,done nothing to deserve a run in the team.

Going to be tough,remember they gave united a good game last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

daithijjj wrote: »

YES

Setanta

NTV

Tzonner

Are these links that the match can be watched at? I keep getting told that the webpage cannot be displayed.

And don't forget www.iraqgoals.com/en

Always great for the prem matches.

Yep, that too. I never get a decent stream off it though so i didnt want to post one i dont use myself. Please feel free to add others, the more the merrier.

This one doesnt need a software client so it can be used by people who dont have sopcast....its currently showing soccer am.

http://www.jonny-place.webs.com/skysports.htm

Lemlin wrote: »
    Are these links that the match can be watched at? I keep getting told that the webpage cannot be displayed.

You need a software client called sopcast.

Download it from here if the other links dont work for you....

http://download.cnet.com/SopCast/3000-13632_4-10601520.html

You need to download Sopcast, and open it through that.

http://www.sopcast.com

Edit: Too slow.:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Looking forward to the game, I hope Agger gets a run out replacing Carragher, i thought Carra was brutal the other night apart from the goal line clearance.

This would also be a good game for Babel to get a run out, i'd like to see N'Gog getting some time on the pitch if the Pool have a comfortable goal difference.

Santa Cruz is out for Blackburn which is a bit of a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

hope we fly out of the traps an early goal will dictate how this game unfolds.the longer it stays at 0-0 the deeper blackburn will defend,if we go one up makes life a lot easier.
    think width could be very important today as to stretch blackburn.
    nothing less than a 3-0 for me:)

raven136 wrote: »
    could we see hypia and lucas in today.

Hope we dont see babel,done nothing to deserve a run in the team.

Going to be tough,remember they gave united a good game last time.

Can you please explain to me what you're idea of a "run in the team" entails?

Babel has started 13 games for Liverpool this season.
    2 in the League Cup, 3 in the FA cup.
    So he's really had 6 in the prem, and 3 in the CL.
    None of them were consecutive.
    So where exactly have you seen him on a "run" of games for you to have judged him?

To put it in context, Babel has started as many games for Liverpool as he has for Holland so far this season!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Any kind of a victory today TBH. In off Masherano's backside in injury time for all i care once we win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lucas will not start today, Alonso wasn't unduly stretched on Wednesday (he has the cushiest number apart from Riena in terms of energy expelled) and Masch will be fresh as a daisy. Drop Yossi into Gerrards position and all is well.

mike65 wrote: »
    Lucas will not start today, Alonso wasn't unduly stretched on Wednesday (he has the cushiest number apart from Riena in terms of energy expelled) and Masch will be fresh as a daisy. Drop Yossi into Gerrards position and all is well.

Sorry Mike, but that's not true.
    Xabi consistantly covers the most distance of any Liverpool player.
    He covers more ground that Kuyt during a game for instance.
    He constantly moves for the entire game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Samba starting up front for Blackburn today, so expect the midfield not to get a touch of the ball, blackbun defenders will just be hoofing it up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Can you please explain to me what you're idea of a "run in the team" entails?

Babel has started 13 games for Liverpool this season.
    2 in the League Cup, 3 in the FA cup.
    So he's really had 6 in the prem, and 3 in the CL.
    None of them were consecutive.
    So where exactly have you seen him on a "run" of games for you to have judged him?

To put it in context, Babel has started as many games for Liverpool as he has for Holland so far this season!!!

did anything i wrote indicate he got a run in the team?i said i didnt want hi to start and he doesnt deserve a run in the team.
    IMO his attitude stinks and i cant figure why he doesnt get the stick a player like Lucas gets.

Sorry Mike, but that's not true.
    Xabi consistantly covers the most distance of any Liverpool player.
    He covers more ground that Kuyt during a game for instance.
    He constantly moves for the entire game.

If that true he must stop fooling poeple by looking so composed and showing up Kuyt (who looks like he needs putting through a wringer by half time!).

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Samba starting up front for Blackburn today, so expect the midfield not to get a touch of the ball, blackbun defenders will just be hoofing it up to him.

I'd say he'll start up front with McCarthy trying to feed off the scraps he wins. Blackburn's midfield aren't up to much so I'd expect the defence to bypass them as much as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina, Arbeloa, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano, Riera, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Gerrard, Dossena, Lucas, Ngog, Skrtel, El Zhar.

raven136 wrote: »
    did anything i wrote indicate he got a run in the team?i said i didnt want hi to start and he doesnt deserve a run in the team.
    IMO his attitude stinks and i cant figure why he doesnt get the stick a player like Lucas gets.

How do you know if a player is deserving of a run, if he never gets one?
    Simple.

If you think that seeing Babel play 15 minutes here, and 5 minutes there, is any indication of how he'd handle playing week in, week out, then your problem with Babel is more personal.

What about Bennayoun.
    Does his attitude stink?
    He came out and said that he wants to leave Liverpool, unless he gets more starts in a central role.
    That stinks.
    Babel has came out and said time and time again that he wants to improve as a player, and blames himself for not starting.

Ryan Babel wrote:
    The goal of my second season was to become a regular at Liverpool, but in the summer Rafa Benitez brought in a new left-winger (Albert Riera), who actually from the first game was in the starting line up. But I have patience, and I work hard. I just have to show, that I am better and deserve the first team spot.
    Ryan Babel wrote:
    Of course, it would not help me improve if I wasn't able to play, or train, in another position a couple of times. But all the time? I used to play as a striker in Holland. I grew up as a striker. That's the position I want to play."But I'm working on it. I look at myself before I blame others. I'm going to do something about it. It's not something I'm scared about.

Yeah, what a horrible attitude!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Reina, Arbeloa, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano, Riera, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Reina, Arbeloa, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano, Riera, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Cavalieri, Gerrard, Dossena, Lucas, Ngog, Skrtel, El Zhar.

As I expected Agger in for one of the centre back positions.
    4-4-2 with Yossi on the right or 4-2-3-1 with Yossi in for Gerrard?

Anyone with TVU Player, the match is gonna be on the soccer2 channel.

ooooh! Agger starts :)

C'mon the D.Agger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

c'mon samba!

Did Agger not make a big mistake against Wigan earlier in the season?

Here's hoping for more of the same today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

is there going to be minutes silence at todays game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

24097161.jpg

Did Agger not tear through the defence from the left and get an assist after laying the ball perfectly to Kuyt to score Liverpools opener against Wigan in the game Liverpool went on to win 3-2 earlier in the season?

Here's hoping for more of the same today :D

Fixed that for you.:p

No Stevie G................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

very happy with that team possibly the strongest available.wouldn't mind going back to the top of the table its lovely up there:)

• Advertisement

Hmmm... What to do when you've just seen your Champions League hopes all but dashed... Claim you always cared more about the league anyway! "I'm not just saying it because of what happened against Chelsea, but the league has always been the priority of everyone at this club," says Liverpool skipper Jamie Carragher. "In the 13 years I have been involved in the first team, this will be the biggest league game I have been involved in, it really is that important."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

redout wrote: »
    Hmmm... What to do when you've just seen your Champions League hopes all but dashed... Claim you always cared more about the league anyway! "I'm not just saying it because of what happened against Chelsea, but the league has always been the priority of everyone at this club," says Liverpool skipper Jamie Carragher. "In the 13 years I have been involved in the first team, this will be the biggest league game I have been involved in, it really is that important."

do you ever stop **** stirring?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@redout give me the league above the CL any day of the week.
    The league is what every pool fan i know dream of and ache for - end of story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

3-1

Dunn to score the opener in first 20 minutes.

Torres hatrick (FF Reasons).

do you ever stop **** stirring?

Typical crap no doubt from someone who just most likely got knocked out of the European cup.

"I'm not just saying it because of what happened against Chelsea"

Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Whats the best stream going guys ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Typical crap no doubt from someone who just most likely got knocked out of the European cup.

"I'm not just saying it because of what happened against Chelsea"

Please.

yeh he definitely wanted the CL more

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2008/09/04/jamie-carragher-winning-the-premier-league-is-now-an-obsession-115875-20723402/

you keep telling yourself what you want to hear Kanye...

All but dashed.

You have seen Liverpool play in Europe before right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I cant get a good stream on sopcast, anyone got a link or channel for TVU player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

C'mon Blackburn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement