Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somali pirates - wtf?

• 10-04-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

What the f*ck is going on here? A shower of malnourished Somali gimps with rusty machine guns. How can they manage to hijack these ships? Why can they not be shot as they approach the ships? How do they manage to get on board? SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD FFS.

And now ludicrous images of a ****ty boat with a few Somalis and that American captain with a HUGE American warship in the background. These Somalis have some balls but it is ridiculous that it should get this far. Simply have a member of the US military on each ship and shoot approaching pirates. Really quite simple. What is Somalia going to do? Declare war on USA?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

5 ships hijacked the last week. Quite good for a gang of pirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Magnus wrote: »
    5 ships hijacked the last week. Quite good for a gang of pirates.

Yeah exactly!! How is this possible??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Jigsaw wrote: »
    What is Somalia going to do? Declare war on USA?

They gave the US a good run for their money in 1993.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Do you guys ever watch those Concern ads on TV? Is it just me or do they just make you hungry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think it's all a big insurance racket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Somalia is a basket case full of armed groups, these pirates are armed to the teeth with rocket launchers and have small manouverable speed boats. The ships they hijack are bigger so they are not as manouverable plus the fact the hijackers are obviously deranged so one of these gimos with a rocket launcher on a ship would make osmeone **** themselves. there was a case a while back where one of the speed boats was rammed and sumk. Proper job and hopefully after this alot more "pirates" go swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Probably out of their face on khat. Stuff can make you a manic and unstable.

Also apparently makes you harder to fight as an enemy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A shower of malnourished Somali gimps with rusty machine guns. How can they manage to hijack these ships?

Because rusty machineguns beat no guns at all. It's not actually unlawful for merchant crews to be armed, but the insurance companies that insure the vessels tend to require it. They work on the basis that it's better to avoid escalation, someone might get hurt. I call that 'appeasement' and believe it rarely works. Put naval personnel on the ships, and it probably invalidates their insurance if something goes wrong.

It also doesn't help that people seem to be a bit squeamish about how to deal with piracy. (The Royal Navy was issued instructions not to arrest pirates in case they violated their civil rights http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3736239.ece. Since revoked, I hear). The Indian Navy has the right idea, just blow them out of the water. Unfortunately, they only have one ship in the area. French have done well as well. "OK. We'll pay the ransom.... Then we'll send in the helicopters, shoot you, and take the money back"

Personally I think the Navy should build a few Q-ships, or issue letters of marque for privateers. They come up to a container ship, the sides of a container fall away revealing a 30mm autocannon. Should do the job nicely.

In the meantime, it seems there's a 'gathering of forces' going on. A bunch of naval vessels are converging on the American captive, and the pirates have started converging as well. I think there should be a general invitation for any country who has a currently-captured ship in the area to fly their special forces teams over and at an appointed time there's a simultaneous raid. Problem solved.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Rusty Machine Guns??

They're making millions from hijacking ships and collecting ransoms and you think they're running around with rusty machine guns?

They have all sorts... I saw a picture recently of them with RPGs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Easiest and much cheaper way to solve problem would be to arm the crews of these tankers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Willie 'Shoot em up' O'Dea would soon sort them pirates out.

We should hire him out for an hourly rate. Recession solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Why dont they get caught? Couple reasons

1. The coastline of Somalia is bigger than the entire east coast of the united states.

2. The area is full of small boats/canoes/rafts/whatever else floats with local fishermen, trawlers, kids, etc. etc. etc.

3. It is virtually impossible to tell who is who. They cannot open fire on innocent locals in boats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Didnt they try to hijack a german warship last week? :pac:

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    It is virtually impossible to tell who is who. They cannot open fire on innocent locals in boats.
    I would imagine any local boats would stir well clear of the big fcuk of tanker to avoid swell , unless they have an other motive for being near. There is no reason for locals to approach a tanker in motor boats either.

Latchy wrote: »
    There is no reason for locals to approach a tanker in motor boats either.

what about all the hookers?

like the boats i mean..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

lol starvin marvin is now a ruthless somali pirate

what about all the hookers?

like the boats i mean..
    Ahhh , I thought they used helicoptors for that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

I would imagine any local boats would stir well clear of the big fcuk of tanker to avoid swell , unless they have an other motive for being near. There is no reason for locals to approach a tanker in motor boats either.

Well you said it exactly right. You would imagine that. Does not mean it is the case.

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    Well you said it exactly right. You would imagine that. Does not mean it is the case.
    Unless their is some sort of international police patrol , like the Australians have in their waters ,then only option would to warn of the approching vessels with machine guns .But if the arming of civilians on tankers is be the issue, then perhaps bodygaurds, like the ones employed after the invasion of Iraq to safegaurd workers ,need to be on board these tankers .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Peteee wrote: »
    They gave the US a good run for their money in 1993.

Given the circumstances, the US gave them a good hammering.

Didnt they try to hijack a german warship last week? :pac:

Supposedly pirates in the Straits of Malacca tried to board a Russian military transport once. It didn't look like a cargo vessel.

The Russians just dumped the bodies overboard.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

"Dog" The Bounty Hunter and Chuck Norris team-up would kill the baskets.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Or we could call in the A-team. They could use Mr.T's many gold chains to lure in the pirates into a shootout where no-one actually gets shot but the a-team win anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Incidents on this map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chess on the highs seas

The Somalis are now looking to bring a German ship they have into play so they can get the US hostage off the life-raft and bag the 2 million. The Ynnaks should get a subaqua team pronto I imagine the pirates ciould be got at under cover of darkness.

Meanwhile a French yacht has been rescued with 1 hostage killed in the firefight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

because their being led by Jack Sparrow!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm so jealous, I want to be a pirate :(

I want to be the guy with the machine gun /rocket launcher who shoots the pirates out of the sea .That would be fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Make some fake treasure maps and put them on a boat, then let them hijack it. Pirates love treasure maps, it's like crack to them they'll be distracted for years.

I'm so jealous, I want to be a pirate :(

Popular culture has over-glamorized the profession in my opinion

ScumLord wrote: »
    Make some fake treasure maps and put them on a boat, then let them hijack it. Pirates love treasure maps, it's like crack to them they'll be distracted for years.
    Or as punishment ,take em over to the north atlantic ,set em free in some speed boats and tell em to attack some Icelandic fishing boats .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What the f*ck is going on here? A shower of malnourished Somali gimps QUOTE]

And in other news, everybody in Northern Ireland is a terrorist.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Personally, I feel any country who's citizens are taken hostage should do what the French did.

Give them the money, get all the hostages to safety, then send in SOF to kill all the pirates involved and get the money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

was just reading this on the news its crazy!

there was pictures in the sunday times magazine a few weeks back of a chinese guy on a ship making petrol bombs to defend themselves incase of a pirate attack:) now thats an idea!

if its not illegal then i dont see why they dont have a few guns on board,scare the daylights outta the pirates by shooting first! in one of the hijackings this week they attacked a ship in the middle of the night so i assume they only had a few people on deck awake and i doubt the pirates had their lights on,they could have easily missed them,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

what about the time they hijacked a big transport ship full of ****in T72's ?

Seriously they need to make a film/video game out this stuff, its unreal that this kinda crazy stuff is happening in this day and age! lol!

I want to be the guy with the machine gun /rocket launcher who shoots the pirates out of the sea .That would be fun :)

Got to admit, there are probably less acceptable jobs.

"So, Joe, what is it you do for a living?"

"I'm paid to cruise the Indian Ocean and blow the crap out of people who try to get aboard..."

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do pirates accept electronic money transfers these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Only after Chuck is done raping Beth's tits.

Manic, whats the law regarding shipping companies hiring private security firms, who'll announce an exclusion zone around commercial shipping and any craft entering that zone be either detained or destroyed?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I heard a rumour that the ships cook is a former special forces soldier...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Do these Somali Pirates talk with a Bristol accent?
    Do they have a wooden leg and a parrot on the their shoulders?
    Maybe like this;
    060908_cap_sur_lile_au_tres.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Magnus wrote: »
    Incidents on this map

and thats me off to play silent hunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I remember a story a friend of mine told me years ago. He was in training in a small navy in north western europe and posted on a military cargo vessel that didn't look very military. When they were passing by the Somali coast they decided to pull a prank on the pirates. They had a load of lads out of sight on deck, armed to the teeth of course, and a couple on watch with nightvision rangefinders. The predictable happened : a load of zodiac type yokes full with armed locals were coming towards them. The nightvision equipped lads kept an eye on them, kept calling the distance and once well within range of the machine guns they fired of flares and switched on searchlights and let fly with everything they had.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

I remember a story a friend of mine told me years ago. He was in training in a small navy in north western europe and posted on a military cargo vessel that didn't look very military. When they were passing by the Somali coast they decided to pull a prank on the pirates. They had a load of lads out of sight on deck, armed to the teeth of course, and a couple on watch with nightvision rangefinders. The predictable happened : a load of zodiac type yokes full with armed locals were coming towards them. The nightvision equipped lads kept an eye on them, kept calling the distance and once well within range of the machine guns they fired of flares and switched on searchlights and let fly with everything they had.....

You owe me a new urbanmythometer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Some cruise ships have a kind of gun that directs a load of noise at ships which they use to deter pirates. Although given how heavily armed the pirates are now it probably would'nt be much good for the ships passing Somalia to have these.

Some cruise ships have a kind of gun that directs a load of noise at ships which they use to deter pirates.

Celine Dion never really outgrew Titanic I guess.

At least she's lending herself to a good cause now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

brian (de bankers banker, sorry developers aid de camp) linehan could clear the countrys debt overnight if he took a leaf out off their book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

lol starvin marvin is now a ruthless somali pirate
    He marklared the marklar marklaring to the marklar.

connundrum wrote: »
    Willie 'Shoot em up' O'Dea would soon sort them pirates out.

We should hire him out for an hourly rate. Recession solved.
    Send in Dick Cheney.
    He's bound to hit someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The Somali pirates even post videos of their yarring:
    http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/04/exclusive-video.html

Got to admit, there are probably less acceptable jobs.

"So, Joe, what is it you do for a living?"

"I'm paid to cruise the Indian Ocean and blow the crap out of people who try to get aboard..."

NTM
    Lets be honest ,the pirates are only doing what they do because they are allowed to .In other words , it seems the lack of any real firepower against them is worth the risks and obiously very profitable .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement