Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somali pirates - wtf?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Latchy wrote: »
    Lets be honest ,the pirates are only doing what they do because they are allowed to .In other words , it seems the lack of any real firepower against them is worth the risks and obiously very profitable .
    There's enough firepower in that region to win several World Wars. Unfortunately as mentioned before the Somali coast is very very big and most of the pirates use small yachts and powerboats. Best method of dealing with this is the French one as previously discussed. Give them the money, get the hostages to safety, send back in commandos, retrieve cash, feed bullets to pirates. Tres bien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Fkin stupid mugus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

snyper wrote: »
    Jigsaw wrote: »
    What the f*ck is going on here? A shower of malnourished Somali gimps QUOTE]

And in other news, everybody in Northern Ireland is a terrorist.. :rolleyes:

Fair enough I accept I resorted to stereotype there. But it is still remarkable that these relatively under resourced groupings can carry this off. I still don't understand why an international communique canot be circulated saying potential hijackers will be shot. Then whe the next lot attempt it empty a few magazines into the ****ers and they'd son learn. Gay international politics probably stands in the way of this but I am and have always been in favour of a display of might. Bomb the *****rs to the sea bed and their younger brother might think twice. F*cking savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Poccington wrote: »
    Personally, I feel any country who's citizens are taken hostage should do what the French did.

Give them the money, get all the hostages to safety, then send in SOF to kill all the pirates involved and get the money back.

And you don't think the Somalis will be thinking that that's what the Americans are thinking ?
    Perfect plan for sure but if the other side has sussed it then its too risky for the forces and hence off the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Magnus wrote: »
    5 ships hijacked the last week. Quite good for a gang of pirates.

what would they be without their ships though...

a gang of creative homeless guys ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Valmont wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that the ships cook is a former special forces soldier...
    ha ha casey reibeck or however ya spell that.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Some cruise ships have a kind of gun that directs a load of noise at ships which they use to deter pirates. Although given how heavily armed the pirates are now it probably would'nt be much good for the ships passing Somalia to have these.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weaponry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

What the f*ck is going on here?
    Simply, crime organizations hire and train those fishermen, to kidnap people and goods to make money. They're bosses earn millions and those fishermen get peanut back.

More you pay them, more they're happy and inspired to kidnap more and more.

That's what's going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

With 3 pirates killed say the Beeb http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7996087.stm

Shiver me timbers, yarr :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm waiting for the UAV footage to show up on Youtube.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the ship was carying food aid, i wonder if it was the gmo food aid, the us is forcing on afirca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

RATM wrote: »
    With 3 pirates killed say the Beeb http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7996087.stm

Shiver me timbers, yarr :D

Was the firefight on land or sea??? I could imagine how it would go... if it were on sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/12/us-captain-richard-phillips-freed-somali-pirates-maersk-alabama

Thank god for the Yanks!. At least they know how to kick ASS!.
    Probably used the seals,probably just swam right up to the pirates and blew their fcuking heads off!.
    Seals are soooooooooooooo cute! with their little flippers ,their little whiskers and their big innocent baby brown eyes.
    Oh and they eat healthly.........they like fish!.
    YO HO HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Those Somali pirates sound like ruthless bast*rds.

I'm betting they'll make someone pay for the deaths of their mates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

What the f*ck is going on here? A shower of malnourished Somali gimps with rusty machine guns. How can they manage to hijack these ships? Why can they not be shot as they approach the ships? How do they manage to get on board? SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD FFS.

And now ludicrous images of a ****ty boat with a few Somalis and that American captain with a HUGE American warship in the background. These Somalis have some balls but it is ridiculous that it should get this far. Simply have a member of the US military on each ship and shoot approaching pirates. Really quite simple. What is Somalia going to do? Declare war on USA?
    The ocean is a big place. And hijacked ships can buy some nice bang bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fofs

Hostage freed pirates dead dangerous line of work

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Apparently reprisal killings are expected. There are a number of siezed vessels and a number of hostages for them to choose from. I guess we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

edit joke about steven segal already made in thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

One pirate seemingly surrendered and when the other three popped their heads out of the raft to see what was happening US Navy SEAL sharpshooters popped them in the head. Man those guys are bad ass. *Insert joke about how they also cook*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'' Ya live by the sword so ye shall die by the sword '' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the ship was carying food aid, i wonder if it was the gmo food aid, the us is forcing on afirca

"That from our Guardian correspondent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pffffffft! Johann Hari is as "right on" as they get, its about randsom - nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

i52cn9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Capt Phillips has been rescued. Breaking News on Sky News now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Hail hail! About time business was taken care of. Hopefully the hardcore republican crew will get off Obama's back for a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

snyper wrote: »

Fair enough I accept I resorted to stereotype there. But it is still remarkable that these relatively under resourced groupings can carry this off. I still don't understand why an international communique canot be circulated saying potential hijackers will be shot. Then whe the next lot attempt it empty a few magazines into the ****ers and they'd son learn. Gay international politics probably stands in the way of this but I am and have always been in favour of a display of might. Bomb the *****rs to the sea bed and their younger brother might think twice. F*cking savages.

Display of ****e, more like. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    Why dont they get caught? Couple reasons

1. The coastline of Somalia is bigger than the entire east coast of the united states.

Lol, no its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Waryaa

These big ships steal our fish and dump garbage into the ocean, they are the pirates we are the Somali coastal protector.:cool:

the French breaks international law by coming into Somalia, they will pay one day, even if it's a 100 years from today.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lockage
    If you want to discuss Somali pirates you can start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement