Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Donie Cassidy Day everyone!

Options
  • 10-04-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=49539858931&ref=ts
    Senator Donie Cassidy publicly declared on April 10 last year that house prices would rise between 25pc and 30pc within the space of 12 months.

"I will remind the house, perhaps in 12 or 18 months, when prices have again increased by 25pc or 30pc, that they were told this by the leader of the house on this historic day, the 10th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement," he said.

I'm sure everyone in this group is delighted to acknowledge the huge boost in house prices, and how well Donie's party is going. Good man.

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A govt minister pimping the construction industry, surprise surprise.

Wonder if he has any property interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

gurramok wrote: »
    A govt minister pimping the construction industry, surprise surprise.

Wonder if he has any property interests?

Why, that's extremely cynical of you. Donie only has the interest of young erstwhile property buyers at heart, who are fed up with paying Rent (It's Dead Money You Know) and would rather pay interest (Interest Is Never Dead Money Even When It's More Than the Equivalent Rent You Know).

But, as it happens, he does seem to own rather a lot of property that he makes rental income from, but that is entirely coincidental (sure how is he expected to make ends meet on a Senator's salary?):

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/publications/RegofInterestsSeanad2007.pdf
    Register of Members Interests of Seanad Éireann 1 January 2007 - 31 December 2007

CASSIDY, Donie
    1. Occupational Income …….. Rental Income:
    (1) Granby Row, Dublin 1;
    (2) 59 The Green, Beaumont Woods, Dublin 9;
    (3) 28 Molesworth Street, Dublin 2;
    (4) Belvedere Hotel, Great Denmark Street, Dublin 1;
    (5) Cassidys Hotel, 6, 7, 8 Cavendish Row and 9 Rutland
    Place, Dublin 1;
    (6) Lir Building, 52 Oliver Plunkett Street, Mullingar,
    Co. Westmeath;
    (7) 171 Belvedere Hills, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath;
    (8) 7 Gardiner Row, Dublin 1;
    (9) Dorset Hotel, Granby Row, Dublin 1;

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

oceanclub wrote: »
    But, as it happens, he does seem to own rather a lot of property that he makes rental income from, but that is entirely coincidental (sure how is he expected to make ends meet on a Senator's salary?):
    P.

Although he has a few expenses to help him out as well
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/senates-gravy-train-rolls-on-to-83643m-1586779.html

Senate's 'gravy train' rolls on to €3m

" 'house leader' Donie Cassidy tops the list with a total expenses package of €72,188.
    Senator Cassidy, from Castlepollard, Co Westmeath, claimed €50,663 in expenses and received €21,525 as the FF leader in the house, giving him his large total. "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Donie, is FF encapsulated in one person, this is exactly what we voted into power, he is FF personified.
    In Safe Hands.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

ZYX wrote: »
    Although he has a few expenses to help him out as well
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/senates-gravy-train-rolls-on-to-83643m-1586779.html

Senate's 'gravy train' rolls on to €3m

Well, it takes a lot of money to keep your hair looking this good:

http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00171/donnie_171791t.jpg

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stolen from the pin ...just to good not to share for all to bask in the greatness that is Donie, hero and loyal servant of the Republic and all its citizens.

Thanks "What Goes Up" on the pin, great pic :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is that a wig he's wearing? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Cassidy represents all that is wrong in politics and business in this country. When i find Fianna Failures like him at my door i just repeat to them, "cronyism, nepotism, cutehoorism, gangsterism,ineptitude and corruption"

Happy 4th Donie Cassidy day, everyone. I'm amazing to think how property prices have shot through the roof since Donie's prediction.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Nice one Oceanclub :)

Was that you being featured as a non-buyer in the Sunday Times property section recently?

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Nice one Oceanclub :)

Was that you being featured as a non-buyer in the Sunday Times property section recently?

Yup, twas me indeed - I'm sure Donie was weeping over my skepticism....

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

oceanclub wrote: »
    Yup, twas me indeed - I'm sure Donie was weeping over my skepticism....

P.

Link?

Zamboni wrote: »
    Link?

Behind a paywall unfortunately - I haven't seen it online myself...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

But there's unbeeelleeeeeeeeeeeeevable value out there for first time buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Thread is too cynical for me. Much like a stopped clock, Donnie will eventually be proved right.

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Thread is too cynical for me. Much like a stopped clock, Donnie will eventually be proved right.

Um, given that his prediction was that prices would go up by 2009, that's a temporal impossibility.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Senator Donie Cassidy: We have a duty to tell first-time house buyers, young couples with no previous experience, that there is unbelievable value in the marketplace today. It will not last forever. It is never the wrong time to do the right thing. I offer the House the benefit of my experience and my opinion which is all any Member can do. I will remind the House, perhaps in 12 or 18 months, when prices have again increased by 25% or 30%, that they were told this by the Leader of the House on this historic day, the tenth anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement.
    Nope. He suggests that they will definitely rise by that amount but is tentative on the time frame. Perhaps 12 or 18 months. Perhaps 12 or 18 years.

Nope. He suggests that they will definitely rise by that amount but is tentative on the time frame. Perhaps 12 or 18 months. Perhaps 12 or 18 years.

You're right; he's a financial genius.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

That'd be a tenable position if he didn't make the timeframe he was thinking clear. As it is, he was totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Snakeblood wrote: »
    That'd be a tenable position if he didn't make the timeframe he was thinking clear. As it is, he was totally wrong.

When he made that speech, I'm sure Donie knew full well that the chances of a 25-30% rise in the following 12-18 months were non-existant.

The whole purpose of saying that was to panic FTBs into loading themselves up with huge debts to further his own self serving, grubby little agenda. Worse still, he was let do so on taxpayers time.

The man's a disgrace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement