Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mess - Military Forum Off Topic Thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Now in Moscow. Internet is dodgier than ever. Expect little moderating from me.

NTM

I have seen The Mouse. With my pilgrimage complete, I shall be returning home on the morrow. And then I can set about moderating all the naughty boys and girls who have apparently taken advantage of my absence.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Place is like a bloody morgue...Somebody for God's sake start an argument..I'm bored! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

iceage wrote: »
    Place is like a bloody morgue...Somebody for God's sake start an argument..I'm bored! :)

how about a 'Libya - will the wider political fall out make the deployment of Irish troops on Europes southern periphery more likely?' thread.

obviously the title needs a bit of work...

Could be an interesting debate, everyone's lining up to be Libya's friend and ally, shall I just drop the obvious and state its because of the oil, or is it the downturn in Saville Row cos the Daffman has reverted to the Dishdash.

I just want to know where all the freedom fighter's have alf inched the G36's from?? lovely aren't they.

Irish DF deployed....unlikely by the time their finished over there. Although the Leb's not that far away is it, a quick jaunt and bingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Jedward will see ireland out of recession!

Good enough?!

Oh,G36,i seen an FN2000(?) there!

...Irish DF deployed....unlikely by the time their finished over there. Although the Leb's not that far away is it, a quick jaunt and bingo.

i was thinking more generally - does anyone belive this is going to end with Libya (whatever the hell Libya is going to look like for the next decade), or that Assad will rule peacefully for the next 30 years?

we tend not to think of it, but North Africa and the ME are astonishingly close to Europe geophically - a 1 hour ferry ride from Morocco to southern Spain - once they cross the EU border the problems of these far away countries are a 24 hour train trip from the Holyhead ferry...

Ha ha, Just heard some sphincters tighten up in Rosslare! Could be closer than we think, Didn't Italy(still very close ties there) give the new guys a chit for €350 million the other week? Do you reckon they'll be happy with that when it comes to doling out the contracts of trade.

I don't reckon it'll end with Syria either..to resort to shelling your own people from warships off the coast, you've really lost the plot haven't you, it's just a matter of time before someone has to step in.

As an afterthought, has the DF upped its Arabic lessons? Might come in handy in the not too distant future eh.

Ha ha, Just heard some sphincters tighten up in Rosslare! Could be closer than we think, Didn't Italy(still very close ties there) give the new guys a chit for €350 million the other week? Do you reckon they'll be happy with that when it comes to doling out the contracts of trade.

I don't reckon it'll end with Syria either..to resort to shelling your own people from warships off the coast, you've really lost the plot haven't you, it's just a matter of time before someone has to step in.

As an afterthought, has the DF upped its Arabic lessons? Might come in handy in the not too distant future eh.

On the move here, but as an afterthought, has the DF upped its Arabic lessons? Might come in handy in the not too distant future eh.

• Advertisement

...Might come in handy in the not too distant future eh.

tbh, i think there may be a short term need for a small peacekeeping force in Libya right now - the NTC are surrounding Sirte, giving a deadline, while Gaddafi loyalists inside Sirte are making all kinds of blood-curdling claims about the population of Sirte being lead out into the desert and being beheaded when the NTC take the city.

if a independant, trusted force could enter the city and take its surrender, then they'd be no need for an NTC advance and the civpop could be unafraid of joining the rest of Libya.

I think both you and I and everyone here knows that's not going to happen.. This is all diversionary, and will end messy of course. Could be wrong but I reckon the curly one is long gone from Sirte at least.

If there was to be any independent, globally trusted force sent in to Libya to assist in smoothing the way it would have to be McDonald's. Everybody knows your going to be taken seriously when you've been given the nod for a drive thru and a set of Golden Arches....Oh hang on..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Howya lads.

I'm up to my tits in a Cse that's leaving me very little free time, so I can't pop in as frequently as I'd like to.
    OS119 wrote: »
    how about a 'Libya - will the wider political fall out make the deployment of Irish troops on Europes southern periphery more likely?' thread.

obviously the title needs a bit of work...

The most likely chance of us deploying there would be with the Battlegroup IMO. Unfortunately, the Deutch Battlegroup which we're a part of, isn't on standby until the second half of 2012.

Just spent $ 2000 or so on tank books. Hunnicutt, Fletcher, Spielberger, Jentz... Working on the ultimate reference library.

Speaking of, I met Jentz's cohort, Hillary Doyle. He lives in Dun Laoighrie.

NTM

Some heavy reading there MM. Tanks.....

I'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

The news was saying Gadaffi could have been heading to Chad, Niger, got me thinking what would have happened if our troops had been still deployed there and he had made it into Chad ?

On another note with rumours spreading around the PDF wouldn't be recruiting till 2013, alot of peoples spirits will be broken :(
    My dad was speaking to a member of the DF and he said recruitment wasn't looking good

Edit: Just got thinking with the amount of recruits taking on last year its a shame RTE didn't make a programme following the recruits throught training, it would make some good tv and show the rest of Ireland how highly trained we are

Seen this today,

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy crap batman. Reckon he didn't flinch?

Holy crap batman. Reckon he didn't flinch?

Probably didn't seeing as it happened so quick! I did watching it though!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

On another note with rumours spreading around the PDF wouldn't be recruiting till 2013, alot of peoples spirits will be broken :(
    My dad was speaking to a member of the DF and he said recruitment wasn't looking good

Edit: Just got thinking with the amount of recruits taking on last year its a shame RTE didn't make a programme following the recruits throught training, it would make some good tv and show the rest of Ireland how highly trained we are

Hey guys first time posting on this particular section of boards, Read this section a lot though.
    Just on this note Tubsandtiles made, can anyone offer up more info on this, as i've been in the reserves about 6 years now, and I'm planning on applying to the PDF in novmeber.
    I'm 23 now, and will be 25 in june of 2013, so i think i'll be cutting it close if i do manage to get in..
    Just wondering if any of you guys can shed a little more light on this, its grand if you cant, thanks either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Hey guys first time posting on this particular section of boards, Read this section a lot though.
    Just on this note Tubsandtiles made, can anyone offer up more info on this, as i've been in the reserves about 6 years now, and I'm planning on applying to the PDF in novmeber.
    I'm 23 now, and will be 25 in june of 2013, so i think i'll be cutting it close if i do manage to get in..
    Just wondering if any of you guys can shed a little more light on this, its grand if you cant, thanks either way.

There is recruitment ongoing as we speak but they are working off the waiting list created after last years recruitment. Those near the top of the list have been contacted with the aim of checking their continued interest, and to let them know fitness tests, followed by medicals, are in the near future.

This list apparently runs out on Jan 1st 2012 so keep you eyes open in case they open a new recruitment campaign to replace the personnel expected to leave before the March 1st cut off for the reduction in pension and gratuities

Thanks for the Info Sirrex,
    I'll be applying November 1st then.. hopefully will get high enough on entry requirements.. cheers all the same :D

SIRREX wrote: »
    There is recruitment ongoing as we speak but they are working off the waiting list created after last years recruitment. Those near the top of the list have been contacted with the aim of checking their continued interest, and to let them know fitness tests, followed by medicals, are in the near future.

This list apparently runs out on Jan 1st 2012 so keep you eyes open in case they open a new recruitment campaign to replace the personnel expected to leave before the March 1st cut off for the reduction in pension and gratuities
    I can confirm this too, a friend got a call on Wenesday saying to keep his fitness up etc

Thanks a bunch lads for the info, its a small glimmer of hope, but it's enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

Colonel Gaddafi "prediction"
    In the opening scene for the pilot, as a throwaway joke, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi is shown being judged after his death, with the date given as July 29, 2011. Twenty-four years later, by coincidence, Gaddafi's death occurred within three months of the "predicted" date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

PDF out filling sandbags near mckee...verrrry tempting to shout "Baggers" out the window. :P

BigDuffman wrote: »
    PDF out filling sandbags near mckee...verrrry tempting to shout "Baggers" out the window. :P
    Durty :D

Now that Michael D looks set to take the throne in the Aras, is his portrait going to grace every barracks in the county like Mary McAleese's was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Now that Michael D looks set to take the throne in the Aras, is his portrait going to grace every barracks in the county like Mary McAleese's was?

Yes.
    As did the Portrait of every President before .

• Advertisement

So I'm listening to the radio in the car and Christy Moore comes on (We get some eclectic stations). In Welcome to the Cabaret he sings that the Army wouldn't let him play in the Lebanon or the Curragh. Any particular reason for this?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Way too Republican.

So I'm listening to the radio in the car and Christy Moore comes on (We get some eclectic stations). In Welcome to the Cabaret he sings that the Army wouldn't let him play in the Lebanon or the Curragh. Any particular reason for this?

NTM

This song is the main reason.
    http://www.christymoore.com/lyrics_detail.php?id=189

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjPmmCtHmfE

If you don't mind the patriotism, this is kindof cool.

NTM

Not too sure about the USMC or USCG, but the Air Force, Army and Navy were excellent. The sub even had a propellor..

This is unexpected.
    Salt Lake City - The nation’s largest chemical weapons depot has destroyed its final stockpile of nerve agent — a 4,100-pound supply seized by U.S. troops from Nazi Germany

Took 'em 15 years. Think the German stuff was even still viable?

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

can we get this forum moved? I have yet again clicked into the LGBT forum by accident and now my missus is giving me very funny looks :/

Nuttzz wrote: »
    can we get this forum moved? I have yet again clicked into the LGBT forum by accident and now my missus is giving me very funny looks :/

You are fooling nobody.

Your missus indeed....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Nuttzz wrote: »

Why not just save it as a favorite forum? Means it shows up with in its very own category along with any other favorite forum. So now the only time you need to "accidently" click into LGBT is when you're in the market for some size 10 sling backs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Wooooo. Just on Christmas leave from ATR Pirbright. **** me, but I'm already missing the lads and the block! Anyone else on leave for a few days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Watch to the end. Someone's going to have an interesting evening, but have to hand it to the NCO for working through it.

NTM

Oh Sheeeet.

Merry Christmas to all here, and wishing an especially peaceful one to the lads and lasses from Kickham out in the Leb, and to all the other's overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

Happy New year and all that jazz. :) Roll on 2012.

Quick thinking.

http://www.army.mil/article/71161/Fort_Polk_Soldier_receives_Silver_Star/
    Gilboe reached out and grabbed the barrel of the enemy's AK-47 and pulled it toward his chest which was covered by an armor plate. Gilboe said the last thing that ran through his mind before the enemy pulled the trigger was "This is gonna hurt a lot."

The insurgent fired a burst directly into Gilboe's chest plate, knocking the wind out of him and sending shrapnel into his legs. Out of breath and fighting hand-to-hand, Gilboe disarmed the insurgent then hit him in the face several times, stunning him and allowing the assistant gunner time and opportunity to kill him.

Fair play to him, some balls.. He deserves the medal..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

whydave wrote: »

Very hasty shooting there by the tank gunner and the loader may have dropped the shell nose down...Sov/Russian 100mm HE-FRAG ammunition has an instantaneous contact fuze, so that's not a good idea.

Needs more training.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

tac foley wrote: »
    Very hasty shooting there by the tank gunner and the loader may have dropped the shell nose down...Sov/Russian 100mm HE-FRAG ammunition has an instantaneous contact fuze, so that's not a good idea.

Needs more training.

tac

Do the soviet MBT's not have auto-loaders?

Advertisement