Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irish women.... fussy... god no... i mean yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

My brother has found a woman who wants to marry him. Irish women can't be that fussy after all.

Well women love a good sense of humour and Pat Short is a very funny man. Tell him I'm a big fan by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    ntlbell, what's the point in the antagonistic, condescending "pet" crap? It's not actually necessary.

You groan and protest innocence when people accuse you of trolling, but stuff like that hardly helps you.

i thought there was something posted in this thread all ready about backseat modding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ntlbell wrote: »
    i thought there was something posted in this thread all ready about backseat modding.

No backseat modding ntlbell.

By the way criticising someone's posting style is not necessarily backseat modding. People are free to do that up to a point.

javaboy wrote: »
    No backseat modding ntlbell.

ah there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

dizzyniki wrote: »
    Yer upset that the Sex And The City revolution swept the state and that GIRL POWER is now in force.......so i'm very sorry if we have standards nowadays, that we don't melt at the sound of yer THICK irish accents and don't lead ye on from the word go..........!!!
    NickNolte wrote: »
    Irish women seem to think that 'girl power' and this 'Sex & The City' attitude, which is just an ugly personality masquerading as confident and 'powerful', is the right way to behave and that's what 'real men' should want.[ quote]
    MIN2511 wrote: »
    Women worship SATC, i was in Capitol last night and the place was packed with women taking advantage of the 5 cocktails. Before SATC no one really drank cocktails.

There has been a lot of mention of SATC in this thread, but , tbh, I don't think it's really affected Irish women that much. People seem to think it's some sort of cultural phenomenon that really captured the 'zeitgeist' (or whatever psycho-babble baloney they go on about) but it really only captured the experience of wealthy single women in New York and possibly London and those kind of places. I'm afraid Dublin 4 just doesn't really compare to that kind of wealth. The type of men the SATC women go out with ( millionaires, business tycoons, celebrities) and the life they lead are so far removed from the average Irish woman's experience that it's laughable to suggest comparison.

I think any 'sexual revolution' for Irish women came from a gradual liberalization of the country (mainly the Catholic Church losing control). So, those women you see shopping in Brown Thomas and having cocktails are probably actually not trying to be Carrie Bradshaw. They also probably don't think they are above Irish men, either.

I have to say, I've only been on boards for about a year but the amount of threads complaining about Irish women I have seen is quite, well, depressing, I suppose. I really don't see why the entire female population should have to put up with being labeled 'stuck-up, fat, ugly' and all the rest of it because of a few boardsies' bad experiences with Irish women.

Acacia wrote: »
    I really don't see why the entire female population should have to put up with being labeled 'stuck-up, fat, ugly' and all the rest of it because of a few boardsies' bad experiences with Irish women.

I agree. I don't think it's fair to suggest that the emergence of this s**tty 'au chanté' attitude is representative of the majority of Irish women. I think most Irish blokes wouldn't suggest that most Irish women carry on like this. Having said that, it's something that has become more prevalent in recent years. It's no different to the increase in the number of stuck-up, arrogant, besuited males in Dublin with a Gordon Gecko complex. Both are examples of how pig ugly some (albeit quite a few) Irish people have become inside.

I have to say, I've only been on boards for about a year but the amount of threads complaining about Irish women I have seen is quite, well, depressing, I suppose. I really don't see why the entire female population should have to put up with being labeled 'stuck-up, fat, ugly' and all the rest of it because of a few boardsies' bad experiences with Irish women.

I hope SATC hasn't had much of an affect on women but what I think HAS had an affect on irish mens attitude towards irish women is the influx in non irish women.

Intelligent,funny,confident,interesting,friendly, put a mirror up to irish women and the differences were magnified

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well women love a good sense of humour and Pat Short is a very funny man. Tell him I'm a big fan by the way.

Will do.

Intelligent,funny,confident,interesting,friendly, put a mirror up to irish women and the differences were magnified

The only difference I've noticed is friendliness, approachability and foreign women tend not to be as cliquey/treat you like an oddball unless you know one of their friends. Irish women certainly don't have any problems in the intelligence, confidence or humour deparments.

I agree. I don't think it's fair to suggest that the emergence of this s**tty 'au chanté' attitude is representative of the majority of Irish women. I think most Irish blokes wouldn't suggest that most Irish women carry on like this. Having said that, it's something that has become more prevalent in recent years. It's no different to the increase in the number of stuck-up, arrogant, besuited males in Dublin with a Gordon Gecko complex. Both are examples of how pig ugly some (albeit quite a few) Irish people have become inside.

I agree. :)
    I hope SATC hasn't had much of an affect on women but what I think HAS had an affect on irish mens attitude towards irish women is the influx in non irish women.

You could say the exact same about the influx of non-Irish men making Irish men look bad, though.

I know plenty of intelligent, funny, confident, interesting, friendly Irish women, by the way. This is what I'm talking about- I really don't see how the majority of Irish women are unintelligent, un-interesting, or unfriendly, etc. Fair enough, that's your opinion, I really just don't see it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The message of Sex & The City is the exact same one women have had fed to them for aeons, just packaged differently:

- Single and childless past 35, she's a failure, to be pitied, and more than likely miserable herself - or at least feeling obliged to be miserable and to justify/explain to everyone her sad existence
    - All women need a man but not all men need a woman
    - Promiscuous women will eventually be punished and see the "error of their ways"

Anyone who thinks Sex & The City is "liberating" etc for women is very misguided... It's entertaining fluff, that's about it.

You could say the exact same about the influx of non-Irish men making Irish men look bad, though.

Can't really comment on it as I don't really associate enough with the guys to make a judgment call on it. But I'm sure there's some truth in it.
    I know plenty of intelligent, funny, confident, interesting, friendly Irish women, by the way. This is what I'm talking about- I really don't see how the majority of Irish women are unintelligent, un-interesting, or unfriendly, etc. Fair enough, that's your opinion, I really just don't see it though.

It's not my opinion that irish women are stupid.

I'm just saying that the non irish women maybe magnifying a problem and making it look a lot bigger than it is.

The message of Sex & The City is the exact same one women have had fed to them for aeons, just packaged differently:

- Single and childless past 35, she's a failure, to be pitied, and more than likely miserable herself - or at least feeling obliged to be miserable and to justify/explain to everyone her sad existence
    - All women need a man but not all men need a woman
    - Promiscuous women will eventually be punished and see the "error of their ways"

Anyone who thinks Sex & The City is "liberating" etc for women is very misguided... It's entertaining fluff, that's about it.

Agreed. Was demonstrated very well by the last movie, I think (Carrie's wedding, her gushing at the huge closet Mr.Big buys for her, etc.) I do watch the show, and it's entertaining enough, but I certainly don't strive to act like any of the characters.

I do think it's hilarious when people say it celebrates 'man-hating' and all the rest of it...clearly they even watched the feckin' thing, or they would see it's far from it. :pac:

It's not my opinion that irish women are stupid.

I'm just saying that the non irish women maybe magnifying a problem and making it look a lot bigger than it is.

Well, that's fair enough.:) I just don't like when certain posters criticize all (or the majority) of Irish women as cold, ugly, etc, based on a few experiences with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just thinking about your post, it isn't SATC or foreign women, it was the easy availability of credit cards and loans.*

*Applies to men and women.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Completely unrelated to the thread but seeing the women throng to the cinema for SATC all dressed up and drinking cocktails in the bar is one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in real life.

humbert wrote: »
    Completely unrelated to the thread but seeing the women throng to the cinema for SATC all dressed up and drinking cocktails in the bar is one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in real life.

Yep. Was (ironically) in the beer garden of the Morgan Hotel bar when the movie was out in the cinema and saw that very thing. It's up there with nerds dressing up as Obe One Kenobi to go and see the new Star Wars movies. Although I would suggest that wanting to be a Jedi is a little less pathetic than aspiring to be a promiscuous, materialistic 40'something that can't keep their knickers on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yep. Was (ironically) in the beer garden of the Morgan Hotel bar when the movie was out in the cinema and saw that very thing. It's up there with nerds dressing up as Obe One Kenobi to go and see the new Star Wars movies. Although I would suggest that wanting to be a Jedi is a little less pathetic than aspiring to be a promiscuous, materialistic 40'something that can't keep their knickers on.

Yeah, I thought about that comparison, but by and large the nerds have to leave that persona behind when they enter the real world. These idiots don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Cool...my only chatup line I need now is "I work for a living..fancy a shag"..

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-04-11/

At least if you're dressed up like this you can head into Burger King after the film without getting funny looks. Try doing the same thing while looking like these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

At least if you're dressed up like this you can head into Burger King after the film without getting funny looks. Try doing the same thing while looking like these guys.

What is that thing Leyla has?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    What is that thing Leyla has?

Eric Clapton on his knees?

Eric Clapton on his knees?

Bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭donster79

I think that the Celtic Tiger boom has certainly lead to younger Irish women behaving in the snobbish, insular, treat you like an odd ball if you go near them type of way. They have had it easy and are usually treated like a princesses and daddys little girls. Most would not have had to work through college and got the easy hand out on the Sunday night or whatever.

As they get older no doubt you will probably stand a better chance with them as the fear of being left on the shelf leads them to desperation. They know they will not pull anything younger than them so their options are limited. This is where the man has the advantage as he can ride young ones all around him and be regarded as a king for doing so. Men generally age better than women anyway so by the time women reach their 30s their best days are usually long long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

donster79 wrote: »
    I think that the Celtic Tiger boom has certainly lead to younger Irish women behaving in the snobbish, insular, treat you like an odd ball if you go near them type of way. They have had it easy and are usually treated like a princesses and daddys little girls. Most would not have had to work through college and got the easy hand out on the Sunday night or whatever.

Yeah, I miss the good ol' days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

donster79 wrote: »
    As they get older no doubt you will probably stand a better chance with them as the fear of being left on the shelf leads them to desperation. They know they will not pull anything younger than them so their options are limited. This is where the man has the advantage as he can ride young ones all around him and be regarded as a king for doing so. Men generally age better than women anyway so by the time women reach their 30s their best days are usually long long gone.

Shelf Women FTW!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

I always agreed with this and always said it!
    I always found Irish to be very fussy, even though I'm Irish(but I do go for nice lookers who have a decent personality)
    I found the dutch to be the most down to earth people I ever met, who take people at face value.
    I mean my brother was in a taxi one night and these 2 stranger girls were in it with him, he tried to talk casually to them and all they could do was criticize to his face what his clothes were like. sarcastic bitches! A lot of women, particularly the young yuppie college girls, seem to judge people on how much money they have or how they dress!
    Laid back as people said, is a load of crap!

The majority of these snobby girls are either bland looking or mingers! I met the nicest women in Holland who were so nice and decent and were actually hot, who were really decent, and well spoken and calm. What is with the newage girls here? I mean FFS, look in the mirror and treat people with respect, we all have our life to go about, so why be bitchy?

And why make generalisations? ;)

Because sometimes it's not a case of "the small minority giving the rest of us a bad name" and it becomes endemic. Generalisations are bad, I agree, but if we're talking about percentages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Because sometimes it's not a case of "the small minority giving the rest of us a bad name" and it becomes endemic. Generalisations are bad, I agree, but if we're talking about percentages...

That is a pile of steaming, stinking turd. At the back of it all, you know it too.

Dots after a sentence does not have a valid point. And you know that too.

NO, not all women are "SATC" obsessed fucking twats. I apologise to the women that like that film, for whatever reason. But its obvious to me that men tar every women with the same brush. And you say we are all sad?

Instead of thinking with the díck, try being a little objective ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

Abigayle wrote: »
    That is a pile of steaming, stinking turd. At the back of it all, you know it too.

Dots after a sentence does not have a valid point. And you know that too.

NO, not all women are "SATC" obsessed fucking twats. I apologise to the women that like that film, for whatever reason. But its obvious to me that SOME men tar every women with the same brush. And you say we are all sad?

Instead of thinking with the díck, try being a little objective ffs.
    fyp:P

• Advertisement

NO, not all women are "SATC" obsessed fucking twats.

I know. I was simply saying that a noticably increasing number of them have become that way over the last 10 or so years and I think it's both sad and pathetic. I would never suggest that all Irish women are like that. Most of my female friends aren't. However, there are so many that are that it make me just shake my head in shame. It has no real impact on my life or anything. I just think it's unfortunate is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Irish men are fussy too!

Yeah I've got a perfect example Ive a mate who will only go out with a girl if she's on the pill and dumped one because she wouldn't because cancer risk's!!! Also at 27 years of age lives with his parents and mummy cooks for him and cleans....... :rolleyes:

so yeah its very true...

As for women I know a little I get on with some women and don't get on with others It would appear, people are confusing fussiness with incompatibility/rejection as an excuse to save face.

Oh good yeah perfect example Ive a mate who will only go out with a girl if she's on the pill and dumped one because she wouldn't because cancer risk's!!! He also at 27 years of age lives with his parents and mummy cooks for him and cleans....... :rolleyes:

so yeah its very true...
    He's one guy. Some Irish men are fussy, some Irish women are fussy... just like some men are fussy, some women are fussy.

NickNolte wrote:
    just think it's unfortunate is all.

Well, each to their own is my view. Im not a fan, by any means. I just dont get why women see these women as idols. I just feel sometimes that women need a 'cause' to be able to gel with one another, that is what I feel sickened by. Its either, clothes, babies, prospective boyfriends or husbands.. I'd rather hang out with the quirkier dressed rebellious chick. She'd have something different to say to me.

He's one guy. Some Irish men are fussy, some Irish women are fussy... just like some men are fussy, some women are fussy.

I agree but everything works booth ways thats my point.....

Actuly I blame hollywood and big movies with these male actors with there chizzeled looks etc...

Actuly I blame hollywood and big movies with these male actors with there chizzeled looks etc...

I raise you "The Hills". :pac: Its funny.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I agree but everything works booth ways thats my point.....

Even where I work the polish girls are more likely to treat people with basic friendliness and civility. An appreciable minority of Irish women have an attitude because they think everyone wants to shag them.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Even where I work the polish girls are more likely to treat people with basic friendliness and civility. An appreciable minority of Irish women have an attitude because they think everyone wants to shag them.

I agree with you on this, but it is rather annoying for those women that don't fit that category. The 'lets bitch about women' threads were far more popular than the Stephen threads, and thats saying something.

Let me remind you at this point that, men make their choices in women. Don't come winging here when it all goes tits up. And to even the score, the same thing goes for women. Start using the grey matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is this thread still going?
    I had sincerely hoped that by now we had already reached the consensus that the Greeks invented gayness and that Irish women are great.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote: »

That is very true Red Alert!!

I could also say that all south african people are black----untrue!
    I could say all Irish people have red hair and freckles
    untrue!
    I could say all french people hate the english
    untrue!
    I could also say that a lot of irish people dislike english---maybe a generalisation, but I wouldn't call it untrue.

My point is that generalisations don't mean a solid fact, but there's substance to them, or some degree of truth to them!

I hate people using the generalisation word as their defence;)

Is this thread still going?
    I had sincerely hoped that by now we had already reached the consensus that the Greeks invented gayness and that Irish women are great. Oh, and that Irish men are stunning and intelligent.

Fixered. :pac:

I just find it ironic how you keep saying "be nice to each other", "I'm not trying to offend anyone" etc... and then come out with a massively insulting wopper of a generalisation... ;)

b28 wrote: »
    I could also say that all south african people are black----untrue!
    I could say all Irish people have red hair and freckles
    untrue!
    I could say all french people hate the english
    untrue!
    I could also say that a lot of irish people dislike english---maybe a generalisation, but I wouldn't call it untrue.

My point is that generalisations don't mean a solid fact, but there's substance to them, or some degree of truth to them!

I hate people using the generalisation word as their defence;)

Oh hai Nick.

I just find it ironic how you keep saying "be nice to each other", "I'm not trying to offend anyone" etc... and then come out with a massively insulting wopper of a generalisation... ;)

I've been described as moody, does that answer your question:D
    And I've been described by many as impulsive.

When I say not trying to offend, I meant genuinely I didn't want to upset anyone, but was just giving my view. I should learn to be a little less blunt perhaps.

Oh hai Nick.

I'm entitled to "my" opinion.

But, leave your bias against me aside, and consider my point. And respect my point! please for the sake of the children:D

I raise you "The Hills". :pac: Its funny.

i prefer 2 and half men I LOL watching that :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Fixered. :pac:

Don't you be putting gheh words in my mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭raptorman

Quite a lot of Irish women have a real attitude problem. They're also the ugliest women on earth.

Slightly off topic and its been discussed before but I think a lot of Irish people have a real attitude problem not just the women.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement