Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I test the GPS on my Nokia n95 8GB?

• 10-04-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't seem to be working in Google Maps or with the Nokia Maps. It just keeps searching and searching for satellites.

I've tried in big open green areas and I've tried on the dashboard of my car. No difference.

This used to work before hand.

Is there a program or something I can get that will test the GPS on my phone for me to make sure it's picking up satellites or let me know how many it's picking up etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bottom right above "Exit" shows the dish and the strenght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's got something similiar in Google Maps too but I was hoping there might be an application or something out there.. in case Nokia Maps is just plain wrong.

Nokia maps seems to be suggesting I'm somewhere I'm not.

What does this screen mean for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

In the options menu, under tools i think you will see satellite info. It will scan for the satellites and give you a strength rating. It should pick up about 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    Nokia maps seems to be suggesting I'm somewhere I'm not.

What does this screen mean for example?

What exaclty do you mean?
    Its saying you have data off, and your not connected to satellites. It would have more yellow bars than that. Sometimes i have experienced that it will show possibly show you a mile or two away from where you actually are on start up.

I forgot that the option in my last post was for version one of the maps, instead now to check the satellites around you and a gps position, go to;
    Menu; tools; Gps data; then click position. If it doesnt pick it up straight away press, 'options' and then select 'satellite staus'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's all very strange. Everythings working again now after updating the firmware but no amount of hard resets would get the GPS working.

One wonders ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Davy wrote: »
    What exaclty do you mean?
    Its saying you have data off, and your not connected to satellites. It would have more yellow bars than that. Sometimes i have experienced that it will show possibly show you a mile or two away from where you actually are on start up.

that will be the gsm location, it guesses where you are based off the nearest cell tower. usually about 2km circle

Advertisement