Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprint to Olympic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

headin out tonight for 6*1k with 90sec recovery , 1k circuit round carrick on shannon , will be there around 9 o clock ( have to put kids to bed first and stuff ) , come along if it suits , you can do less 1k reps if you think 6 is alot on the first day. let me know if you can come

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

7th May
    Run
    5.5km
    .5km warm up
    4x1km at 4.24 pace with 2 min rest
    1km cool down....
    ...ouch! I'm so not built for (attempting) speed

Swim
    100m warm up
    500m with pull bouy
    1000m straight swim

how did you find the speed session ?
    good session at the gym :)

Seres wrote: »
    how did you find the speed session ?
    good session at the gym :)

HATE IT!
    :)
    My ass is sore today- go figure?

Sat 9th may
    Long slow run-haven't done one in well over a week.
    Just over 14k in 1hr11min-distance is a bit of a guess-timate.
    Sun10th may
    FIRST OPEN WATER SWIM OF THE YEAR!
    Beautiful morning,lake was like glass, only 3 people from the club were there so we just gave it a lash to test out how cold it was... My teeth were numb after the first 550m, never felt that before!
    No times, 1100m approx.
    Followed by a very relaxing spin on the bike-did more chatting than pushing which was lovely- 24k in 1hr:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

ladytri wrote: »
    FIRST OPEN WATER SWIM OF THE YEAR!
    Beautiful morning,lake was like glass, only 3 people from the club were there so we just gave it a lash to test out how cold it was... My teeth were numb after the first 550m, never felt that before!
    No times, 1100m approx.
    Followed by a very relaxing spin on the bike-did more chatting than pushing which was lovely- 24k in 1hr:)

Sounds like a nice session there, my first EVER OW swim tonight... how do you judge distance?

We swim in Lough Key (don't know if you know it??) but it has an Island in the middle of the lake so we swim out and back, one of the lads measured it last year on his GPS. Absolutely beautiful- my favourite part of training is getting to swim in such amazing places and see them from a new perspective.
    Good luck with your own OW!! Its great craic trying to go in what you THINK is a straight line:)

jesus you did well to swim 1100m , are ye headin out next weekend , or will your body have warmed up by then ?

Seres wrote: »
    jesus you did well to swim 1100m , are ye headin out next weekend , or will your body have warmed up by then ?

Hey, you've done it yourself girl! Thats the distance out and back to the island.
    We sure are going out on sunday- in fact we're also going out on Wed night if you're around?

Hey, you've done it yourself girl! Thats the distance out and back to the island.
    We sure are going out on sunday- in fact we're also going out on Wed night if you're around?
    never this time of the year though , dont know bout wednesday , ye are prob going out too early , dont know if i would be up to it yet , havent really done much swimming yet this year , just started back in the pool a week or two ago. sure let me know anyway what time ye will be out and sure who knows !

• Advertisement

will you PM me your mobile number?

May 11th
    Went to the local pool for what was supposed to be a 'lane coaching session'.
    For €8 you get a swim teacher to check out your stroke and write you up a training plan...sounded too good to be true, but there was no swim teachers there so they gave us a free swim and apparently the swim teacher is going to give me a call about the sessions for next time...score! Private sessions for €8:)
    Met super runner Seres there!
    No idea of distance...maybe did 750m- but went pretty flat out after this speedy guy who was in our lane, I'm sooo childish and competitive:)

May 12th
    Not a good day, supposed to go for 45min 10k paced run but my bloody legs were useless so only did 30mins of slow paced torture instead

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭huber

Hi
    Im doing my first sprint triathlon on saturday. Looking for advice....What training should I be doing for rest of week???What should I be eating now and morning of race(10.30am start) besides the usual pasta etc. Any advice at all on doing 1st tri appreciated!!!

Hi Huber,
    Its hard to say really without knowing what your fitness is like and what your training has been up to this but there's some good advice in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055560892
    Personally, I eat the same thing the morning of a race as I do every other day- PORRIDGE! I never really change my diet either apart from the obvious avoiding alcohol and drinking plenty of fluids. On the morning bring some fruit and an energy bar with you for if you get hungry while hanging around.
    Good luck with it and try to just relax, enjoy it and you'll have a ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭huber

Thanks ladytri

May 11th
    Went to the local pool for what was supposed to be a 'lane coaching session'.
    For €8 you get a swim teacher to check out your stroke and write you up a training plan...sounded too good to be true, but there was no swim teachers there so they gave us a free swim and apparently the swim teacher is going to give me a call about the sessions for next time...score! Private sessions for €8:)
    Met super runner Seres there!
    No idea of distance...maybe did 750m- but went pretty flat out after this speedy guy who was in our lane, I'm sooo childish and competitive:)

May 12th
    Not a good day, supposed to go for 45min 10k paced run but my bloody legs were useless so only did 30mins of slow paced torture instead

when we were all at it together i think we did 16*25m first time and 8*25m the second time , i kinda lost count as to the lenght i did too ,
    you didnt seem to be doing to bad keepin up with speedy guy , i was trying to stay close to padraig whisch meant i ended up been a bit fu*ked

Hey going for speed session morro , but will prob be early ( 6.40am) , dont really like doing speed sessions early morning but evening is out, will text you my no. and let me know if you can come , this is what i will be doing if you fancy doing them by yourself

6*800m with 70/80sec recovery
    if your thinkin of doing these and 6 seems alot try 4/5 with 2mins recovery

May 13th
    Another OW swim this evening- felt pretty good. Apparently the lake is only 1000m out and back which I did in about 8mins over and the same back. Happy days, if only my running was coming along as good

jesus, that was savage , welldone , if only my swimming was as good as that , how was the water ?

Thats great swimming ladytri. 16 mins approx is that much faster than a pool 1k for you?

I think it probably is. I know I was aiming to get as much below 30mins for the 1500m in the pool as I can get but haven't timed it in a while so don't really know....bloody hope so, I've been doing alot of swimming these days!

May 15th
    Interval run
    5 min warm up
    5 sets of 2' mod/ 2'mod-hard/1' hard
    8 min cool down
    Managed to get through this, barely. When is this running lark going to get easier!
    Intend on doing cycle tonight but I'm a fair weather cyclist so reckon thats ot going to happen...we'll see

• Advertisement

May 17th
    Club long cycle
    Did a total of 70km. Took the first 30km pretty handy, a lot of climbing- came off the bloody bike going up a steep hill:) Back wheel of the bike started skidding when I got out of the saddle and I couldn't release the cleats. I was going so slow so had to just fall over to get off the bike! Ridiculous.
    Second half we pushed it out a bit and averaged about 29kph for the last 40km. Not sure how to pace these long cycles - presume they should be like your long runs where you're supposed to be able to hold a conversation.
    Absolutely wrecked after it today but planning a swim tonight.

May 18th
    Lane coaching session in local pool- messin' with me head trying to tweak my stroke...
    100m warm up
    50m easy
    50m fast
    100m kick board
    100m pull buoy
    100m easy concentrating on stroke
    25m flat out
    25m one arm stroke (don't know what this is called)/25m fc
    25m OAS/25m fc
    25m catch up/25m fc
    then a load of messing to cool down

Not a bad day at the office...
    20TH MAY
    Club open water swim 1000m- pretty choppy...need to sort bilateral breathing out but I'm a bit gimpy breathing on the left so its not going to be easy.

Followed by 5km run. Only girlie out tonight but kept pace with the guys. New PB of 23.40...going to celebrate with a beer and some taco cheese nachos :)

This has got to be one of my worst weeks for getting training in- only did 1 long cycle (70km) 1 coach swim (max 1000m)1 OW swim (1000m) and 1 5km run up until today! Was supposed to go out Thursday night but had to work late, same on friday- been doing 12hr days in work and its been impossible!
    23rd May

11km nice and easy. 55mins
    tomorrow is club meet so prob OW swim & long cycle...hopefully:)

Don't feel so bad, 3 quality swims (2 OW), 2 bikes and 2 runs is not exactly a write off of a week ;)

I suppose MCOS...but I count today's (Sundays) sessions as the start of next week so only one cycle last week which is just not good enough!

May 24th
    Knowing that today is my last chance for a cycle for a couple of weeks I wanted to push myself a bit so did a few sprints in a 46km cycle followed by 5km run. Bike felt good- all those hills are starting to pay off.
    First run off the bike this year and F**k me that sensation brought back some memories! Took it pretty handy to get a feel for it and did the 5k in 25 mins, got bad cramps in my calves near the end.
    No times for the cycle because I'm a muppet, forgot to reset the computer which got me very excited when I saw I'd burned 1867 calories:)

So first day in Venice and thought I'll start as I mean to go on!
    28th may
    40 min easy run to get my barings- I was all over the shop trying to get around but lots of running up steps and over bridges. Great way to explore the city. If I find a pool I'll go for a swim in the morning

30th May
    40 mins even pace
    Similar run to Thursday morning but felt like I ran a bit harder out because I was wrecked getting back... loads of stepped bridges so not planning on doing any sort of tempo runs while I'm away, feels like hill running:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

30th May
    feels like hill running:)

Sounds great! Although if hillrunning in Ireland was like running around Venice there might be more people taking part!

• Advertisement

Wow, had to really dig deep to find this log!
    So, I only managed 4 runs over the last 2 weeks, work was just hectic over in Venice for the 2nd week I was there so I knew it just wasn't going to happen.
    Got back yesterday, had 14 hours sleep last night and I'm raring to go so planning a nice 40km tonight on the bike...I'm prepared for a sore ass tomorrow...

Advertisement