Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprint to Olympic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Sat 13th
    7 km run-34'33"
    went out with the OH and as always happens when I run with him I start out too fast and suffer in the end! Made it round though and pretty happy with the time considering I haven't trained for over a week...

Sun 14th
    1100m OW swim
    Have no time for this but felt great

48km Cycle
    1hr 58min- jesus, I've a savage amount of work to do on the bike- want to get the 40km down to 1hr 20min!

Mon 15th
    Coached Swim
    100m warm up
    50m breathe on 3 strokes
    50m breathe on 5
    50m breathe on 7
    50m legs / 50m easy x 2
    100m arms
    6x 25m sprint/ 25m easy
    350m cool down
    1200m total

Sprint was pretty awful-I'm just not built for speed! We were timed for the 3rd and the 6th sprint - 19secs and 20secs respectively. I've never sprinted in swimming before but at least its a base for improving on!

Wed 17th
    Fartlek run
    5mins warm up
    5* 2min easy/2mins med/1 min hard
    5min cool down...

hate how much fitness I've lost in the last 2 weeks:(

Wed 17th PM
    OW swim
    1000m total out and back swim. Think it took me 8'50" over 8'45" back, not bad because it was pretty choppy.

Thurs 18th AM
    30km cycle -1hr 5mins
    Really windy this morning, first 5km were hellish but pulled through, its a pretty hilly route so think I'm going to use it as my own personal TT:) want to get this well below the hour but pretty happy with this given my lack of cycling recently.
    Made me assess what my targets are for times and I really want to get the 20km well below 40mins (split today was 44mins/PB is 38) and get the 40km in 1hr 20

Was out in mullaghmore yesterday, disgusted I didn't get to sign up for this but put me in the mood for my first race of the year... The aptly named Metalman tri in Sligo...in only 3 weeks, Eeek!!

Sun 21st
    1000m OW swim- felt horrific on the way out. 500m in 8min 45. Return a bit quicker in 8min 30.
    Followed by 41km cycle with the club, very comfortable in 1 hr 30ish.
    Promptly followed by 5km run off the bike-really worried about the olympic distance run, can't imagine adding another 5km to this, felt pretty tough. Anyone with nuggets of advice as to how I can dramatically improve my run in 3 weeks, I'm all ears!! 24min 14sec for run.

• Advertisement

Plan of action for the week:
    Mon 22nd
    7-10km run followed by coached swim
    Tues 23rd
    5km run off 23km cycle
    Wed 24th
    5km run off 1500m OW swim
    Thurs 25th
    30km cycle
    Fri 26th
    10km run
    Sat 27th
    1500m OW swim / 40km cycle on Metalman course, Rosses Point
    Week total:
    3 x swim
    3 x cycle
    4 x run (hmmm, ambitious)

Will probably try to do the same next week and take it easy the week before MM

Mon 22nd PM
    All right, falling flat on my commitments already:mad: Had to work late last night so didn't have time for run last night before swim...
    Coach swim
    250M warm up (arrived a bit early)
    150M warm up with group
    100M kick
    50M kick w/fins
    150M kick w/fins
    150M w/pull buoy & paddles
    25M sprint
    25M easy
    150M breathing on 4/6/8 strokes
    300M cool down
    1400M total

Tues 23rd AM
    5km mod run: 24.15
    I've contacted Sligo AC to see if I can do some training with them, I need to deal with my lazy running

Wed 24th
    AM
    30km cycle - a little slower than last week at 1hr 8min but feck it, it was a beautiful morning for a spin on the bike, lovely smell of fresh hay in the air!

PM
    1000m OW swim
    This is an out and back swim, did the first 500m in 7.55 which is a new PB!
    Back was not so speedy in 8.50, there was a speed boat messing around where we were swiming and it made the water really choppy- that's my excuse anyway

5k easy run after

Thurs 25th
    Unscheduled rest day
    Was supposed to meet up with Sligo AC but got the bloody day wrong, meeting them on Tuesday instead

Fri 26th
    50 min easy run...
    haven't done much over 5k for the last while and supposed to be doing the full Metalman course tomorrow and a bit nervous about the 10k run so wanted to get one substantial run in before I head down. Should be interesting doing this tomorrow after a 40th birthday party tonight. Then again, I've to go to a wedding in Dublin the night before the real thing so I suppose I'm really simulating what will be my race condition!

I know I haven't stuck to any of the training sessions I'd outlined for the week but after tomorrow the tally will be
    4 x swims (1000m OW x 2 / 1500m OW / 1400m pool
    5 x runs (5km x 3 / 10km x 2)
    3 x cycles (40km x 2 / 30km)
    Thats a bumper week, pretty happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

ladytri wrote: »
    I know I haven't stuck to any of the training sessions I'd outlined for the week but after tomorrow the tally will be
    4 x swims (1000m OW x 2 / 1500m OW / 1400m pool
    5 x runs (5km x 3 / 10km x 2)
    3 x cycles (40km x 2 / 30km)
    Thats a bumper week, pretty happy with that!

It sure is!! Oh to have the liberty to train that much :(

• Advertisement

yeah, I was pretty bold, should've been working;)
    work from home with my partner, he was away for the week so what're ye gonna do when you're home alone and its just you and the dog?

Sat 27th
    So, went out to Rosses Point saturday morning, beautiful day for a swim and a spin!!
    1500m OW swim- took it pretty handy, one swimmer with us wasn't 100% confident so hung back with them.
    40km cycle- this is going to be a fast cycle race, it's all on the main road, good road surface. Only downside is it's a busy road.
    Didn't get to do the run because I was meeting the race organizers, who are really sound and very committed people-really excited about doing it now and feel a bit more confident. Anyone looking for a race to do in the next couple of weeks I can't reccommend this enough from a venue point of view!!

Mon 29th
    Coached lane swim
    A bit frustrating because we're getting a different coach every week and some are better than others anyway...
    250m warm up
    150m kick boards
    150m pull bouys
    150m of 25m sprint/25m recovery
    150m legs only
    150m various catch up
    150m breathing on 3/5/7
    about 250m cool down
    1400m or there abouts
    Heart wasn't in it, had a bad day yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Mon 29th
    Coached lane swim
    A bit frustrating because we're getting a different coach every week and some are better than others anyway...
    250m warm up
    150m kick boards
    150m pull bouys
    150m of 25m sprint/25m recovery
    150m legs only
    150m various catch up
    150m breathing on 3/5/7
    about 250m cool down
    1400m or there abouts
    Heart wasn't in it, had a bad day yesterday
    totally agree with ya there , lots of conflicting advice , hopefully though will be able to keep this session up over the winter !

Wed 1st July
    AM
    Went out for 30km cycle but only did 20 due to technical difficulties. Pretty unimpressed with my cycle: 20km in 44mins. It's a route I've been doing and my times have hardly improved. But according to mapmyride it does have 140 meters of climbing so it's not an easy cycle, I hope!
    Crappy excuses:
    -badly need to get bike tuned, chain kept slipping on the climbs.
    -over dressed for warm weather, as my husband said when I arrived home 'Jaysus, you're boggin' sweat!'...very attractive

Wed 1st July
    PM
    OW swim
    Met with the club, there was a new girl with us who wasn't very comfortable in the lake so stayed back with her.

Followed by 5km run - 23.45.

Getting very twitchy and nervous about Metalman next week. Freakin' out because I've a wedding the night before in Dublin and have to drive back that night, keep having dreams that I'll miss it!

Friday 3rd July
    Nice and easy 12km run with the dog- we had 4 "doggie business" stops, 2 puddle waterstation stops, 2 cudjo incidents and 1 bog hole swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Friday 3rd July
    Nice and easy 12km run with the dog- we had 4 "doggie business" stops, 2 puddle waterstation stops, 2 cudjo incidents and 1 bog hole swim.
    "We had" ? :eek:
    I suppose when you gotta go, you gotta go..

"We had" ? :eek:
    I suppose when you gotta go, you gotta go..

LOL :D

hey, it's a messy business this mulitsport training!
    When I bring cudjo out for runs I have to keep him on his lead because he's mental so have to bare witness to all his shenanigans

• Advertisement

Sun 5th July
    Start of my tapper week:) no booze and no late nights for the week-had a serious wine session on Friday so ready to bid it farewell for the next two weeks in preparation for metalman on Sunday then athlone the following Sunday.
    48km cycle over the curlews and around lough arrow, good challenging cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tritrier

Hi Ladytri,

I've been following your log for the last few weeks. For a while there we had similar goals.. ie. stepping up from Sprint to Olympic this season. However I have realised you are way ahead of me in ability and in terms of the amount of training you are doing.

I'm planning on doing Carna in Galway in 3 weeks. My aim is... to finish!! (as it's a tough one). Just wondering what you would recommend concentrating on over the next 3 wks. My swim is fine and I'm not really worried about it but I'm very concerned about the time I've spent on the bike (only done 35km max on a spin) and my run would be weak also - 10km takes me about an hour. Am I completely mad to be attempting this in under 3 weeks do you think? Just thought I could pick your brains....

Hi tritrier
    God, its really hard to say when I don't know what your experience is, have you done many tri's before? You mentioned having done sprint distance but how did you find the cycle/run then? If I were you, and to be honest I don't think I'm much further than you in that I'm just hoping to finish this one myself with a view to improving by the end of the summer, but I'd be concentrating on doing more hours in the saddle with a couple of runs after. Try to get to 60km with even just a 5km run to get the sense of how tired you are/ how to pace the bike before the run. I could be completely wrong though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tritrier

Thanks Ladytri, yeah I will try and get more "time in the saddle" as you say. Will aim to do a 50/60km cycle next weekend and see how I get on with running straight off it. Apart from that will just keep running and cycling and a bit of swimming.

I did a few sprints last year (including your own lovely one up in Lough Key) and never had much trouble running off the bike (in my mind) but I am a slow runner and running will always be tough I think!!

My goal is to finish the Carna Tri, in whatever time that is..... God knows.... I will keep you posted on progress.

Good luck with Metal Man yourself! I'd say it'll be no bother to you.

Cheers tritrier!!
    Mon 6th July
    Coach lane swim
    200m warm up
    100m concentrating on arms
    100m as above but combined with strong kick
    100m kick boards
    200m 4x25m sprint/25m easy
    100m cool down
    Awful lot of chatter and not much swimming tonight:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

2 tris in a week! Good on you- will keep an eye out for the reports!
    The metalman one looks great- there seems to be an event every weekend that I'd like to do.
    Enjoy the taper week :pac:

I'm reckoning on tri#1 being such a torture that it'll make tri #2 feel like a piece of p**s

Wed 8th July
    1000M OW swim
    Scariest swim of the year so far. REALLY choppy! One of the girls turned back less than half way over and one of the lads didn't get in, I wouldn't have swam in it myself to be honest but felt I had to do just in case Sunday in Rosses Point is just as bad:eek:
    5KM RUN
    Felt grand, took it handy, no times this week...

Thurs 9th July
    9KM RUN
    wanted to try this out with no socks!! All good, so thats pretty much it til Sunday, might go for a very short spin on the bike which has been left in for her pre-race service, getting new grips, new gear cables etc...
    I'm not making any predictions on this one and will be very happy to get home alive and upright.

FRI 10th July
    Quick 30mins spin after I picked the bike up from her service. She has a hairline crack in the arm that attaches the back derailer!!! Repairable but not in time for the next two tri's, hope it'll hold...aside from that she's looking great and will hopefully do me proud.

• Advertisement

Best of Luck this weekend! You have great training put in, looking forward to hearing how you get on :)

Advertisement