Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Utilization of Network Resources

• 10-04-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I got this e-mail
    Dear Customer,

While monitoring our network, we noticed that an excessive amount of internet traffic from your Clearwire connection is negatively impacting other Clearwire customers in your area. These issues can be caused by a virus or spyware on your computer, by having a wireless router with no password set or by using peer to peer/file-sharing and FTP programs.

To prevent further strain on Clearwire's network resources we are actively managing your connection per our terms of service.

I have no idea what's wrong, it's not wireless broadband so no one's stealing it. It's probably not a virus/spyware because I got this e-mail twice once when I was using a pc and the other when I was using the mac. Peer/file-sharing... what? FTP programs... again what? I don't know what they are but I'll guess it's something to do with downloading stuff, which I don't do very often. I do watch things online but no more than I was always. The only thing that really changed was the wire stopped working so I got a new one, since then I've been getting the emails and phone calls. I stopped watching videos last month,thinking that I just probably watched too many films, but I got another one today. I can't figure it out. I have no idea what they mean by the last line too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Watching a full length film online is generally the same amount of data as downloading a film. Streaming / watching it online is just you watching it while it's downloading.

Ask them for details on how much you have uploaded / downloaded in the last week / month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Switch provider. Plenty of other cheaper and better alternatives out there.

Check http://upc.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Rule of thumb is if you dont download that much YOU may not have done this at all? Even streaming a lot is not going to result in massive traffic. If your not using wifi then the only option is that you know for sure the modem is where the data is being requested from and the only way to do that is cable into is in your case so WHO is cabling into it? Any other users in the house or games consoles using the connection?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Unfortunately the Clearwire network is not suited for people who say use more than 15GB per month, I know recently they have changed their product descriptions to say they are unlimited, but this is merely to attract greater numbers, rather than the fact that they have upgraded their network to allow greater usage of bandwidth.

If you are using your internet access for anything else other than basic web browsing, the odd bit of youtube, and email, I strongly suggest you move to another provider, such as UPC for instance, who have a far bigger backbone of bandwidth to be able to provide you with the quality of service you would come to expect etc.

I don't agree with the marketing of unlimited services when emails such as this are often sent out for using what in my view are not huge amount of data volumes, however this is just the way companies tend to be, as it enables them to attract far more customers to their service, which hopefully would result in greater profits for them. Having read in the press about Clearwire's results recently however they don't seem to be making much money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Orla K wrote: »
    I got this e-mail

I have no idea what's wrong, it's not wireless broadband so no one's stealing it. It's probably not a virus/spyware because I got this e-mail twice once when I was using a pc and the other when I was using the mac. Peer/file-sharing... what? FTP programs... again what? I don't know what they are but I'll guess it's something to do with downloading stuff, which I don't do very often. I do watch things online but no more than I was always. The only thing that really changed was the wire stopped working so I got a new one, since then I've been getting the emails and phone calls. I stopped watching videos last month,thinking that I just probably watched too many films, but I got another one today. I can't figure it out. I have no idea what they mean by the last line too.
    you should ask them for written dates and sizes of the offending internet traffic that is colllapsing the clearwire service in your area! it is more probable that almost all clearwire customers get this rubbish mail as they oversell their product and then have to try and manage the bandwidth so all customers get a reduced amount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement