Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it morbid to consider your funeral arrangements?.

Options
  • 10-04-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for the last few months, namely music I'd like played at mine.

Two songs I'd love played is Bruce Springsteens 'The Wrestler', only a few very close friends would realise its significance.

The other song I'd love played is 'The Old Man' by The Fureys..

Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd play Highway to Hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's only ****ed up when you hire Max Clifford before you die.:rolleyes:

as for song, only one of you're a Rush Fan... Afterimage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't know about music, but they can f* off if they think they're burying me

cremation please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

galwayrush wrote: »

I used to love Rush back in the 80's, haven't really listened to them since.

As for Clifford, I'd hire him as a sparring partner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Tell people you want to be cremated Bluewolf. If you don't, they may well bury you. To answer the initial question, there is nothing morbid about arranging your funeral details. Lots of people do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I've already considered mine:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd be happy to have everyone in the church Rickrolled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I had two good friends who died from cancer in their mid 20's, they planned their funerals etc, and it was very personal, music etc.
    In fact it felt more like a celebration of life than the usual morbid stuff.

I still chuckle when I remember how one of their partners said a few words of thanks etc, quickly followed by "please dont come up to shake hands with me, if you weren't there over the last few months when she needed you most...you really weren't much of a friend".

I think it would be nice to plan to a certain extent. So answer to the origional question, no it's not morbid .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i'd want You Are My Sunshine by Carly Simon played:o i'mm always singing it to myself,drives the OH crazy!!:D

apart from that i don't have much else to stipulate, although i wouldn't want to be cremated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I wouldn't say its morbid.

In fact I'd say it'd be a bit abnormal if one didn't think about death and how they'd see their funeral panning out.

Dunno what song I'd have, but whatever it is there'll be smoke machines involved in the ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I want a pyjama party, with the contents of my latest iPod as the music [fook just one song!]

Then everyone will sing a big production number of a song with my name in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I sort of hope that everyone in my funeral possession march quickly behind the hearse with torches and pitchforks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I want a brutal Viking burial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

An old fashioed Irish wake - lots of Alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

galwayrush wrote: »

How about King Crimson's 'Epitaph'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I often wondered who would turn up, if anyone.
    I'm sure a few bods would turn up just to be sure I was really dead.

As me Da said "If you don't go to your friends' funerals they won't go to yours".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I want Guy Sebastian's version of Otis Reddings I Been Loving You Too Long (to stop now) blasted out as I roll into the furnace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN4IdJeICis&feature=PlayList&p=43B6BC5700DA4C6B&index=0&playnext=1

And I want everyone's heart breaking. If I'm not leaving anyone behind who's going to cry for me, I've done something really wrong with my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

OP yes it is , stay in denial like normal people!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Princess Jade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭dizzyniki

its a great idea to plan your own funeral....i know plenty who have bought their plot and headstone and it saves a lot of hassle for your loved ones............however I'm leaving word that i want all my working organs donated, and what's left of me is to be stuffed and put sitting on the couch..........!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Nah, it isn't morbid. We're all gona die, we all have that much in common. It's okay to think about it, just don't fixate on it or anything :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

There is only one song I would want at my funeral.

I sure as hell don't want people crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Nope! I'll be planning mine before i die (hopefully i don't die before then!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

No, it's really not morbid to start planning your funeral. I just got back from a family member's funeral in the states, and I had no clue how dear they are! It was $600 for the obituary for 1 day in the local paper (and it's no USA today :rolleyes:), nearly $8000 to the funeral home, $150 to the diocese and $100 to the organist, and $950 for each plot, $1K in maintenence fees, and $750 to put the body in the ground. Now they're trying to arrange a headstone, and for the ones that lie flat and rise up on a slant, they start at $650, and for the tall stone ones, they started at $4,500 :eek: . It's well over $10K for the whole thing!!!!

It was funny, when I was looking at the obituaries, they had a funeral home's add in there. It said you could get a complete funeral from $4,950.00. Then, below, in very fine print, they had that the price did not include church fees, obituary fees, cemetery fees, and a whole other list of fees. Not really complete when it lacks so much!!! I would certainly start planning when I had kids, I wouldn't want to leave it all up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nope not morbid at all. I lost my Dad in 95 and know exactly what songs and how i want my funeral to go. Its much better to let your wishes be known then someone sending you off in the wrong way.

Advertisement