Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Course

Options
  • 10-04-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering is there anything I could leave out of the biology course and still get an A1? Is there anything in unit 3 which is not as popular as other sections? Im getting like different opinions from my friends as a friend of mine got an A1 last year and didnt bother with the senses reckoning that they never come up. That would be the opposite for me as it nearly seems to be definite for them to come up as they have never appeared on an exam paper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'd play it safe to be honest, do them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I left out all of genetics, evolution, DNA and so on last year. I completely skipped the whole sections, apart from a bit of basic knowledge about meiosis and mitosis.
    Got myself an A1.

I'm learning it this year though, just in case. I didn't learn it for my Pre this year and got an A2, so, go figure. But it's very possible to leave it all out once you know the rest of your stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I hated everthing to do with plants so I left out seed germination and my knowledge of plant reproduction was poor as well. Luckily, they didnt make an appearance last year.

Edit: DO NOT LEAVE OUT GENETICS OR DNA

DO NOT LEAVE OUT GENETICS OR DNA

I actually do agree with you, despite what I said up there ^^

I regret not learning them last year, I find it all really interesting!
    We didn't really go through any of it in class and I just wasn't bothered doing it on my own :P
    Not many people would be able to manage an A1 without including them like, I just chose to focus all my Biology time elsewhere and was lucky with that particular paper I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Of all the years to leave out something, don't leave out genetics or anything to do it evolution.

Pop quiz, can anyone tell me why?!

You should never leave out a section. While you might think "oh that won't come up", sods law says otherwise. Just put the head down and get it out of the way...

That guy with the beard???? It's his birthday or something me thinks!!! :confused:

Actually, thats a very good point you have made. Evolution could be a big topic this year. I noticed in last years science magazines (those LC revision ones) that they had done an essay on Mendel.

Probably best to brush up on Darwin, Lamarck, et al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I hated everthing to do with plants so I left out seed germination and my knowledge of plant reproduction was poor as well. Luckily, they didnt make an appearance last year.

Edit: DO NOT LEAVE OUT GENETICS OR DNA

Oh no they are in my artillery! Nobody does plant biology when its guaranteed at least part of a question.

You would have to be a fool to leave out genetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

The only thing I dont really like is the musculoskeletal system. I just couldnt give a **** about how many bones I have!

Favoruite Parts of The Course:
    Top 5:
    1. Genetics
    2. Respiration
    3. Photosynthesis
    4. Hormones
    5. Nervous System

Just had a wee look at examinations.ie and there hasn't been a decent question on the heart/circulatory system since 2004. :eek:
    Could be your lucky year!

• Advertisement

JSK 252 wrote: »
    You would have to be a fool to leave out genetics.

Now, now, let's not be too harsh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think I might skip a load of plant biology.

Protip: If you look back through the years you'll see photosynthesis AND respiration coming up every year. They alternative between a Section C question and a Section A/B question. Last year the C question was photosynthesis and either A or B was respiration, so this year it's probable that respiration wil come up as a Section C question and photosynthesis will come up as either an experiement in section B or as a few short Qs in section A.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

yeah its darwins an wallaces 150 th anniversary of that book thingy they wrote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

my teach said that its highly unlikely they will ask about the kidney because a full question came up last year oh DO NOT LEAVE OUT: ECOLOGY....RESPIRATION/PHOTOSYNTHESIS....GENETICS/DNA.....REPRODUCTION... my teach said the crop up somewhere every year i hope its human reproduction + respiration i hate all that plant crap :mad:

Advertisement