Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mondello C&C

• 10-04-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I was over in Mondello this afternoon. There was a Porsche Club Ireland event on and i managed to get a decent spot inside the fence. I would appreciate your comments.

Click each picture for a larger version

3428867229_d2e9428902.jpg

3428881703_83f20dfaf6.jpg

3428885027_f983fc53b0.jpg

3428892517_5bb8305e9f.jpg

3428888595_aa3b6c8800.jpg

3429702218_5bd2a5e374.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

no. 2 is sweet. looks like it belongs in a magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Great pictures, number 3 would be my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Aha! you got in :D Congrats :)

Nice shots... you seem to have hit the sweet spot with panning anyway

Something about the first one doesn't sit well with me...I'm not sure what it is really...

Two is nice, shame its the tail end of the car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

no. 2 is sweet. looks like it belongs in a magazine.
    eeyore2502 wrote: »
    Great pictures, number 3 would be my favourite.

Thanks guys!
    Aha! you got in :D Congrats :)

Nice shots... you seem to have hit the sweet spot with panning anyway

Something about the first one doesn't sit well with me...I'm not sure what it is really...

Two is nice, shame its the tail end of the car...

There is the original of no.1 for you to compare - I cloned out a few things and then auto levels, contrast and colours. Have you any suggestions? It was very overcast at this stage
    original.jpg

Unfortunately the pics i have of no.2 from the front on the track didn't come out as good. It didn't help that the driver only seemed to out for two laps at a time. Twice i was all set for him and then he pitted :(
    I must have taken 200-300 panning pics and about 30-40 are useable. Its learning curve but i'm delighted with the ones i got.

There is the original of no.1 for you to compare - I cloned out a few things and then auto levels, contrast and colours. Have you any suggestions? It was very overcast at this stage
    original.jpg
    Well, you did a good job of cleaning it up anyway! :D Let me have a think (and play) and I'll get back to you. Only thing I can think of atm is using a polarizer when taking it...
    Unfortunately the pics i have of no.2 from the front on the track didn't come out as good. It didn't help that the driver only seemed to out for two laps at a time. Twice i was all set for him and then he pitted :(
    I must have taken 200-300 panning pics and about 30-40 are useable. Its learning curve but i'm delighted with the ones i got.

Lol, I know how that can be alright....the amount of drifting pics I had that were unusable...blah... Crap happens - You did great anyway with what you got..

• Advertisement

Well, you did a good job of cleaning it up anyway! :D Let me have a think (and play) and I'll get back to you. Only thing I can think of atm is using a polarizer when taking it...

Lol, I know how that can be alright....the amount of drifting pics I had that were unusable...blah... Crap happens - You did great anyway with what you got..

That be great! Can email you a larger version if you want - otherwise please feel free to edit it as much as you want (so long as you explain what you did!)

Right... well, I went away and worked on a B&W version (got the orig size from flickr ;) ) of the shot... It's worked to what I seem to like now...but you may or may not like the result. I'm still unsure about how to work a colour version of it... I'll have a look tomorrow :D Fresh mind and all that. Could start a damn blog over the crap that went on today!

Anyway, hope this isn't totally crap.... I'll pop up editing info in a bit... :)

3429636301_17df1c9345_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

blindh.jpg

Jeez you trying to blind us!!

Alrighty then - Editing info...

First thing - Import into LR2

Lightroom edits:
    • Preset: Dave on the hill 03 b&w
    • Contrast to +100
    • Blacks to +39
    • Fill light to +56
    • Exposure to -1.40
    • Brightness to +61

Exported as PSD - Opened in CS4
    PS CS4 edits
    • Duplicate BG
    • Topaz adjust (Dramatic preset) [70% opacity]
    • Reveal layer mask
    • Black paintbrush - Paint over the sky
    • Duplicate BG layer again
    • Topaz adjust (Simplify preset)
    • Reveal layer mask
    • Black paintbrush - Paint over everything bar sky and glass on the car
    • Flatten the image - copy the layer, undo the flatten, and paste into a new layer [Didn't want to copy just one layer...]
    • Apply High-pass sharpening (Radius 6.6) [65% opacity]
    • Add a levels (Increase contrast 1 preset)
    • Save as Jpeg (quality 12)

And...voila.

It looked like this in CS4 (I added info to the layers for ya - in brackets = opacity level)
    3430472652_a363627327_b.jpg

Sounds like fun? Hope I helped anyway... :)

/edit: I may have also cropped it a small bit. There was a bit of the sky annoying me in the top right. (wasn't a layer so i forgot!)

Jeez you trying to blind us!!

Looks fine on a calibrated monitor....snap!:p

• Advertisement

Alrighty then - Editing info...

First thing - Import into LR2..............Sounds like fun? Hope I helped anyway... :)

/edit: I may have also cropped it a small bit. There was a bit of the sky annoying me in the top right. (wasn't a layer so i forgot!)

It was great fun alright! Will definitely try to get back soon.

Thanks for having a go at the photo and breaking it down step by step. It taught me a few things.....

You mentioned that you didn't know what a coloured version would be like.....well i don't have lightroom and im guessing from your tutorial that you mainly used lightroom to convert to B&W? Anyways, i followed you steps for photoshop and came up with this;

3430612327_25993a672e.jpg

I think i might work a better with the tarmac also masked off in the Topaz adjust dramatic preset? Any comments / suggestions?

Edit. But then again the effect is really growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bobbly

Number 2 is my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Would it be that the sun is coming from behind-above so you lose the defined edge of the underside of the car in the shadow?

Number 2 is definately my favourite, I can imagine it in a magazine with text worked around it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

oh! can i have a go at processing??

:)

Fionn wrote: »
    oh! can i have a go at processing??

:)

Work away - the full size is on flickr. Only condition is that you describe how you did it like challengemaster above

gary82 wrote: »
    Would it be that the sun is coming from behind-above so you lose the defined edge of the underside of the car in the shadow?
    I think it's because it looks more blue-y than black... Black cars are like mirrors :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

no.2 is an excellent panning shot.
    as somebody else said, it wouldn't be out of place in a mag.

KylieWyley wrote: »
    no.2 is an excellent panning shot.
    as somebody else said, it wouldn't be out of place in a mag.

Thanks!
    These were my first attempt at panning or shooting anything moving faster than a person running and im delighted with them!

ok
    th_car.jpg
    what i did was import into PS using the RAW converter interface - adjusted white balance just selected Auto, applied some curves and clarity. cleaned up the front of the car where it had bad marks on it and dropped in a new sky (it looks a bit false) but the focus should be on the car anyway I was going to blur out the background which would achieve good focus on the car itself. did some tweaking with the distort tool to give it a slight wider angle

mighty good shot anyway well done :)

Fionn wrote: »
    ok
    th_car.jpg
    what i did was import into PS using the RAW converter interface - adjusted white balance just selected Auto, applied some curves and clarity. cleaned up the front of the car where it had bad marks on it and dropped in a new sky (it looks a bit false) but the focus should be on the car anyway I was going to blur out the background which would achieve good focus on the car itself. did some tweaking with the distort tool to give it a slight wider angle

mighty good shot anyway well done :)

I'm not keen on the new sky you added (its looks too false) but i do like the rest of it. You've taken the blue tint out of my pic.
    Thanks for describing what you did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

de377410.jpg

Lightroom:
    Temp=+37
    Tint=-1
    Exp=0
    Recovery=100
    Fill=25
    blacks=0
    brightness=0
    cont=0
    vibrancy=10

and a crop.

I had another play with this tonight to try and remove the blue tint from the car. I used a dark filter for the car and then some levels for the sky.

Original from camera again
    original.jpg

Latest edit
    3428867229_47c62e6cdb_b.jpg

Better?

Think you hit the nail on the head there mate! Looks much better tbh. It's a bit more true black in Fionns edit, but I don't like the dropped sky...

yeah the more i looked at it the more fake the sky looked, but thats probably because it was fake - shoulda used some real sky!!

anyway cheers

Don't think changing the white balance is going to help...all that did was make the car purple!

Advertisement