Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosary-chanting Protesters force euthanasia talk to be abandoned.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

In he words of my deceased grandfather when speaking to a palliative care-euthenasia practising consultant in Belgium : "If anyone thinks I'm going to die like a dog in a ditch racked with pain they may think again." He died of natural causes, quite painlessly due to pain medication, the day before he was going to step out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And as for those YD folks, I don't know the law here in Ireland but in Northern Ireland and the UK this could be treated as riotous behaviour; a lawful public meeting being disrupted by more than 2 people with a common purpose is riotous behaviour and a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ynotdu wrote: »
    Galvasean if it was your doing as mod here I would appreciate a reason why my post on this issue was deleted?
    The moderator of the Paleontology forum (that would be Galvasean) doesn't have edit or delete rights on Politics. I suspect you're thinking of the post you made on the same topic in the A&A forum, which still appears to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I cannot believe the people causing the disturbance from YD or otherwise where not arrested, This makes me sick to be honest that an open debate had to be cancelled due to some brainwashed Teenagers who don't appreciate free speech.:mad:

The cops arrived but didn't intervene. Yet the last time things got heated with a Govt Minister, I believe they did...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Fairplay to YD. Atleast they have the courage to stand up for what's right. Euthanasia is wrong. I remember seeing a man, a couple of years ago, who was always full of life and spirit falling victim of this behaviour. He had an operation and caught a chest infection before Christmas. He was in a bad way but the doctors said he would recover. However, because he was in his seventies, the family decided that they didn't want the bother of having to take care of someone during the Christmas and so they stopped his medication and food. He died a couple of weeks later. That's not right and neither is any form of this murder and that's all it is. Whether it's quick or not it can't be justified. When someone knows that if they are purposely taking away something so a person will die then that is nothing short of murder.
    For Gods sake man, it was a debate, not a referendom, YD have no right to stop an open debate, if they ha problems they should have waited untill questions time at the end of the speech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

LMaighEo wrote: »
    Okay, first of all I'm a woman, and I didn't mean fairplay to them stopping the meeting. I meant fairplay to them standing up for something they believe in.

But this is how they stand up for what they believe in. One cannot really praise their motivation and criticize how they work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fairplay to YD. Atleast they have the courage to stand up for what's right. Euthanasia is wrong. I remember seeing a man, a couple of years ago, who was always full of life and spirit falling victim of this behaviour. He had an operation and caught a chest infection before Christmas. He was in a bad way but the doctors said he would recover. However, because he was in his seventies, the family decided that they didn't want the bother of having to take care of someone during the Christmas and so they stopped his medication and food. He died a couple of weeks later. That's not right and neither is any form of this murder and that's all it is. Whether it's quick or not it can't be justified. When someone knows that if they are purposely taking away something so a person will die then that is nothing short of murder.

That is not euthanasia, that is a selfish and greedy family not giving a toss about there granda, maybe because they wanted him dead so they could get his will.

YD are lowlife scum who should have been baton charged for their trouble, that would sort them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

That's not euthanasia. If this is a true story (and I have my doubts), well it's selfishness and neglect. There is a difference between that and someone who's got a degenerative disease and is going to die by drowning in their own saliva or someone in excruciating pain dying from cancer.

Anyway back on topic - Youth Defence behaved in a thuggish fashion and deprived someone of another basic human right. That of free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Okay, first of all I'm a woman, and I didn't mean fairplay to them stopping the meeting. I meant fairplay to them standing up for something they believe in.

They have every right to stand up for what they believe in. However they must do like everyone else and do it in the spirit of free speech and democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Galvasean wrote: »
    They have every right to stand up for what they believe in. However they must do like everyone else and do it in the spirit of free speech and democracy.

Apparantly religious nuts aren't treated like everyone else.

Its a ****ing disgrace the Gardai didn't intervene as they should have. A different standard is applied to religious protesters waving their rosary beads then to every other citizen of this country.

I repeat, this incident has made me even more proud to be an atheist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

Nodin wrote: »
    The cops arrived but didn't intervene. Yet the last time things got heated with a Govt Minister, I believe they did...

My thoughts exactly. Ireland in 2009 - you can speak freely on any topic we, i.e. the establishment, approve of. I really wish I had been at that "debate", I would be insisting on an explanation, via the Garda Ombudsman's office if necessary, as to why the Gardai did not intervene.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

I didn't mean fairplay to them stopping the meeting.
    So you do believe in democracy and free speech, then?
    I meant fairplay to them standing up for something they believe in.
    The issue was not someone "standing up for something they believe in". The issue was stopping others discussing something they may, or indeed may not, believe in. From your comment above, can I take it that you do not approve of the methods used by YD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I repeat, this incident has made me even more proud to be an atheist.

Thats like saying you dislike all Muslims because a select few decided to fly into the twin towers.

But I see your motivation.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Never mind the principle of the affair....who decides who is to speak in public then? Is it to be whatever protesters can shout loudest and make the most commotion? If so it's a poor outlook for free speech in Ireland.
    A letter in today's IT quotes from the European Court of human Rights.
    'Freedom to utter the acceptable is not free speech...the point of the right....is to protect not only that which is "favourably received or regarded as inoffensive or as a matter of indifference, but also to those that offend,shock or disturb the State or any sector of the population".Spot on.
    But then it seems the right to free speech has always been regarded sceptically in Ireland, from the days of "No free speech for traitors" of the early years of this century to Fianna Fails rage over a couple of unexceptionable paintings and the reporting on Television of those painting.
    And it isn't the first time the Government of the day has taken umbrage over some criticism on TV. Other groups would do well to take note of the Courts comment, namely those who disrupted the David Irving meeting,those Islamists-radical or otherwise-who are demanding the right to never be offended and those people in the UK government who are hastening to indulge the ever-widening and increasing demands of the religious extremes.

Advertisement