Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Informal charity

• 10-04-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I've jotted down a few brief thoughts on informal community help networks at http://tinyurl.com/cxe3cg . I would be interested in people's opinions on these notes. Maybe people can tell me if these sort of groups already exist?

The idea would be to :
    • provide people with a forum where they can meet people, and form new relationships
      • the primary purpose of which is to enable people to express their needs without feeling embarassed or ashamed
      • and where people's willingness to help each other is based - not on their money or wealth - but on their character and integrity, and the extent to which they trust each other
    • make ourselves available to help and support each other
    • explore creative and innovative ways of alleviating poverty, and of improving the quality of each other's lives

I have used the word "informal", but I don't intend to imply a "frivolous" attitude. I chose that term, rather, to indicate :
    • a detachment from the legalese and bureaucracy that seems to be creeping into other charitable and voluntary endeavors, and
    • a pattern and manner of work that is determined - not by schedules, timetables and rotas (which may not correlate with the actual needs and desires of the people we would like to help), but - by the needs of those who need help, and the energy and inclination of those who are willing to help them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 alleviate

this sounds really positive :)

lets hope for more of a response. keep me posted on what help you think might help deprived people.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Hi all,

I've tentatively renewed my attempts at developing some sort of "informal charity" as mentioned above.

Specifically, I have established an informal group called "Sharing Ireland".

We have a Facebook group and a website (website is still a work-in-progress).
    The site, the forum, and the idea are for anyone in Ireland interested in building a non-commercial culture.

If this is something you are interested in feel free to get involved.

Advertisement