Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kev's Training Journal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Some crosstrainer

Seated alternate DB curls
    17.5s x 8,8,10

One arm BB curl
    20kgs x 6
    25kgs x 6
    20kgs x 14

RG BB wrist/bicep curls
    20kgs 3 x 12

Oly Squat beltless
    20kgs x 12
    20kgs x 12
    50kgs x 12
    70kgs x 8
    90kgs x 6
    100kgs x 3
    110kgs x 3
    120kgs x 1,1
    130kgs x 1
    140kgs x 1
    150kgs x 0,0,0,0

Arm stuff was good, 25kgs one arm bb was heavy enough...
    Oly squats... could give some bullsh!t excuses about legs and knees being sore from paused squats last night, but the fact is I just need to get stronger at these full stop. Quads feel pretty dead atm, the difference a few inches of depth makes is just insane.

Videos of 130, 140, and one of the 150 misses. Didn't really want to upload it but sure what's the point of the log otherwise..

edit; i blame that fcuking bruno mars song.

DB bench
    20s x 12
    30s x 12
    35s x 12
    42.5s x 8,8

DB pullovers
    Snatches
    OH Squat - literally one
    Oly squats
    Tri Pressdowns
    Abs
    Hypers
    Ham Curls

Shoulder kinda sore, so didn't bench.
    Snatches were done standing up pretty much straight throughout, just a tiny knee bend an jump, that count as a power snatch?
    OH squat, went atg and pulled some mad shapes.. think I'll keep working on the flexibility for another while...
    Tried out oly shoes for first time, have to say I like them, it was just for very light squats and the snatch stuff, but will definitely use them from now on. Got the cheapest ones I could find - lions from strengthshop.co.uk, they seemed to have good reviews, and so far I can't complain!

Some crosstrainer

Deadlift, in oly shoes
    60kgs x 10
    110kgs x 6
    150kgs x 3
    170kgs x 1
    light belt on
    180kgs x 1
    190kgs x 1
    200kgs x 1

Oly Squat
    60kgs x few triples
    100kgs x few triples

Front squat, bar racked clean style
    40kgs x 6

Also did a few power snatches and messed about bouncing the bar off my shoulders in a jerk-like manner.

Not so sure about deads in oly shoes, might aswell be doing deficits on the side of a hill. Having said that the weights moved easy enough, 200 without the proper belt might actually be a pretend PR.
    I've managed to hurt the back of my right leg, right at the back of the knee where the ham and calf meet, I think I did it yesterday on the hyper machine from overstretching the legs at the bottom of the movement, so took it very easy on squats. Not to mention my right shoulder, elbow and wrist are all a bit fcuked. Just the right side of the body in general atm.
    Racked the bar to the front and successfully did front squats for the first time, but had to stop because this was killing my wrists after only a few reps, flexibility is getting there but still a way to go.
    Light power snatches were disgraceful - pretty much just high momentum front raises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

the 150 squat was really close, and the other 2 looked rock solid. I've tried deads in oly shoes before, they're fine with lighter weights, but they really throw you forward when you start working up in weight

podge57 wrote: »
    the 150 squat was really close, and the other 2 looked rock solid. I've tried deads in oly shoes before, they're fine with lighter weights, but they really throw you forward when you start working up in weight

Definitely felt some extra pull forward alright!

• Advertisement

Seated cable rows
    up to stack x 12

HS pulldowns
    100kgs 3 x 12

Chest supported rows
    light 2 x 20

BB preachers
    25kgs x 20

Bench
    60kgs x 12

gym closing time

Trained in Hercules club today. Think I might join, it's much closer to college than I thought, literally a 10 min walk, which would be good for training evenings.
    Just did some light back as I'm kind of in recovery, shoulder and elbow are feeling pretty good, right leg is still a bit fcked in that calf/hamstring tie in area.
    Was able to rack the bar oly style on my shoulders first time with no warmup.. this is flexibility progress.

Early morning session

Bench
    20kgs x 12
    60kgs x 12,12
    80kgs x 8
    100kgs x 6,9

Incline DB flies
    shoulder didn't like this, so stopped

Incline Bench
    20kgs x 20
    60kgs x 12,12

OH squats... about 4 with the bar, rough stuff.
    Messed about doing something which hopefully resembled hang snatches, but probably didn't.
    Light high rep BB curls in the mono, hardcore pump.
    Tricep pressdowns ~half the stack 3 x 20

Shoulder and elbow felt good benching, felt pretty strong but am keeping conservestive intensity wise til I feel a bit better. I remember not liking incline flies ages ago, that hasn't changed.
    It's time to put a plan in place now, I have notions about learning oly lifts while still doing the powerlifts and bodybuilding, but also only really want to train 3-4 days a week. An idea could be (and I'm stealing this from Pendlay.com) -
    Day 1 Bench/inclines/Tri's,
    Day 2 Oly lifts, squat
    Day 3 Strict press/Front squat/Bi's,
    Day 4 Oly lifts, occasional deads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

There's a bit in CWS Juggernaut thing about running it with the olympic lifts.

I can't actually remember what he said, but i didn't agree with it anyway so...

am yeah.

There's a bit in CWS Juggernaut thing about running it with the olympic lifts.

I can't actually remember what he said, but i didn't agree with it anyway so...

am yeah.

Read in yer blog you're thinking of doing it. Just how long a commitment is it? Because i tend to get bored of programs fast :D

Kev M wrote: »
    Read in yer blog you're thinking of doing it. Just how long a commitment is it? Because i tend to get bored of programs fast :D

it's long.

i think it's 16weeks for one cycle.

also, there's 10 rep straight set DLs which to me is the stupidest thing ever.

• Advertisement

Oly squat
    20kgs x 20
    60kgs x 12,12
    80kgs x 6
    100kgs x 6
    110kgs x 3, paused x 3
    120kgs x 3, paused x 3

Gimped about snatching the very light weights for a while.

Deadlift, in oly shoes
    60kgs x 6
    100kgs x 6
    130kgs x 3
    160kgs x 3
    180kgs x 3
    shoes off
    180kgs x 3

Light leg ext. and Hamcurls

Dodgy leg feeling pretty good, but there's still a faint pain there in the background.
    There were some oly lifters there who actually knew what they were doing, and I felt some degree of embarassment doing my swinging-front-raise-hangsnatchers.
    Deads in the shoes sucked. Then without the shoes sucked even worse. Haven't made my mind up about these shoes at all.

Assistance Type of Day

Lat pulldown
    plate40 x 20
    plate50 x 12
    plate60 x 12
    plate75 x 12
    plate90 x 10,6
    drop
    plate70 x 10

Chest Supported hammer grip rows
    30kgs x 12
    50kgs x 12,12

Seated DB shoulder press
    no idea what weight the DB's were, worked up in size to an all out set of 10 which felt like maybe 32s.

Wide grip upright rows
    20kgs x 15
    30kgs x 15
    40kgs x 20

Cable rear delts
    2 x 20

One arm BB curl
    20kgs 3 x 10

Reverse Hypers
    3 x 15

Hammers
    15s? x 12
    22.5s x 10,10

rg wrist curls
    about 100

Everything feels good, except for this morning my back wasn't happy - left rhomboid region, however after the pulldowns it felt great, is kind of hurting a small bit now a few hours later but nothing major.
    This was actually one of the best sessions I've had in a while, seriously pumped me up. That chest supported row machine is unreal, hold the static and slow negatives for the win. Reverse hypers are also awesome, did them with no weight, and still nearly had a heart attack rocking around on the belly.

Squat, some paused
    70kgs x 12
    90kgs x 6
    110kgs x 6
    120kgs x 3
    light york belt
    130kgs x 3
    140kgs x 1,5,5,5

Hang power snatch thing
    40kgs HEAR ME ROAR loadsa triples

and few sets of BTN snatch grip strict presses with 40kgs

Broke the steel rings where the straps go through simultaneously on the oly shoes... absolute fail. So just went barefoot today. Should be able to bend them back into the proper shape with a pliers.
    Squats - went wide stance low bar, felt pretty good, had good speed. Forcing depth can fcuk the form a bit though. Wanna see what oly shoes does to this form next time.
    Snatches were probably the best I've done - which isn't saying alot now. I'm basically just bending at the knee a few inches, then jumping. Catching the bar in a fully upright position, but presumably more weight will force me down eventually, and smash my shoulders, back, hips, knees and ankles in the process.

This is worth seeing. 360 x 5 raw....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Broke the steel rings where the straps go through simultaneously on the oly shoes... absolute fail. So just went barefoot today. Should be able to bend them back into the proper shape with a pliers.

Bummer. Would you not go to a cobblers with them though, they might have stronger buckles to replace them with.

Bummer. Would you not go to a cobblers with them though, they might have stronger buckles to replace them with.

Should be okay, it was more the way I pulled the straps up hard to tighten them, as opposed to kinda out and downwards. They're fairly decent quality, it's just a step too far to ask them to stand up to my raw power! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

This is worth seeing. 360 x 5 raw....

I'm not even surprised like. Nothing he does surprises me anymore. Onrail.

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm not even surprised like. Nothing he does surprises me anymore. Onrail.

That's pretty much how I feel about it aswell now. He did a 195 axle press there (which I believe is an unofficial WR) to go with the 195 log. It's just hard to even try and comprehend.

That's pretty much how I feel about it aswell now. He did a 195 axle press there (which I believe is an unofficial WR) to go with the 195 log. It's just hard to even try and comprehend.

Didn't see the axle press... Saw the vid of the 195kg log, looked like there was weight in the tank too.

I absolutely love the way he's there doing all of this in Total Fitness... and people come on to boards p!ssing and moaning about how commercial gyms aren't hardcore enough for them to do their 140kg deadlifts and 100kg benches!

Didn't see the axle press... Saw the vid of the 195kg log, looked like there was weight in the tank too.

I absolutely love the way he's there doing all of this in Total Fitness... and people come on to boards p!ssing and moaning about how commercial gyms aren't hardcore enough for them to do their 140kg deadlifts and 100kg benches!

Haha yeah it's brilliant. I think some people must have notions about themselves. A WSM competitor (and some other freaks in their own right) can train there no bother but these people can't get anything done because the staff won't repair the machines. It's hilarious really :D

• Advertisement

Bench
    52kgs x 12
    72kgs x 12
    82kgs x 8
    102kgs x 3
    112kgs x 3
    122kgs x 3
    132kgs x 2
    112kgs x 5.. paused

Jump snatches
    42kgs loadsa triples

Front Squat, clean grip
    42kgs good few sets of 5

Vgrip pressdowns s/s EZ bar curls
    plate52.5 x 20 32kgs x 20
    plate60 x 20 32kgs x 20
    plate67.5 x 20 32kgs x 20
    plate75 x 20 32kgs x 20

Benching was as solid as it's been in a while. Shoulder felt fine, think light snatches are actually good for it. Used the wraps and sleeves for some sets and actually felt better without them, think they were throwing off the bar path :confused:.
    Snatches were light and easy, as 42kgs really should be. This is more technique building than anything, and is making my traps grow, for serious.
    Front squats - the pain in my hands/wrists/under forearm is quite substantial, to the point where it's unbearable after 5 reps. On the plus side I was burying them and holding shape so flexibility is probably improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Spot on.

Take a look at this like. Chap trains in his garage.

Push Press
    40kgs x 12,12
    60kgs x 8,8
    70kgs x 3,3
    80kgs x 3
    85kgs x 3
    90kgs x 2
    strict 70kgs x 6

Jump Snatch
    22kgs x 6,6
    42kgs x 3,3
    47kgs x 3
    52kgs x 2,3,3,3,3

Front Squat, clean grip
    52kgs 5 x 5

Strict BTN press, wide grip, standing
    42kgs x 10,10,10

Yeah, triceps are fried.
    Haven't done push presses in ages, felt pretty good. The dip I'm taking is seriously short, to the point where the guy training with me thought I was doing strict presses. The 90s went pretty good which was encouraging. Not using the wraps or sleeves at all atm.
    Some snatches were terrible, others were some of the best I've done. When the weight gets heavier in the next few weeks I'll be forced to tackle some flexibility issues, like the OH squat for instance.
    Front squats hurt my hands and wrists like fcukn crazy.
    BTN press is good with a wide grip, really makes the upper back work.

Don't mind OH squats, you won't be catching a snatch from a static position.

Snatch Balances... or drop snatches.

Don't mind OH squats, you won't be catching a snatch from a static position.

Snatch Balances... or drop snatches.

I'll do that tomorrow, I predict many many dropped bars.

LAt pulldowns
    plate50 x 12
    plate60 x 12
    plate70 x 12
    plate80 x 12
    plate90 x 8,8
    plate70 x 12

Chest supported row
    30kgs x 12
    40kgs x 12
    50kgs x 12
    60kgs x 12,12

Reverse Hypers
    no weight 2 x 12
    machine only x 12
    2.5kgs x 12
    5kgs x 12

One arm BB curl
    20kgs x 10,10,12

RG EZ preachers
    30kgs x 12,12,12

Snatch Balance
    20kgs few fails

Just a back assistance and light biceps session. That chest supported row machine is quality, as is the reverse hyper.
    Snatch balance - was pretty much burnt out at this stage, tried a few but always caught the bar forward, shoulders could do with a rest. I'll get these down soon.

Oly Squat
    22kgs x 12
    62kgs x 12
    92kgs x 5
    112kgs x 5
    122kgs x 5
    132kgs x 5
    142kgs x 5
    147kgs x 1
    152kgs x 2.... oly PR
    157kgs x 1.... oly PR
    102kgs x 12

Standing calf raise s/s Ab pulldowns
    plate225 x 20 plate 52.5 x 12
    plate225 x 20 plate90 x 12
    plate225 x 20 plate105 x 12
    plate225 x 15,5 plate105 x 12

Goal was to squat 150, having missed it multiple times a while ago. Warm up sets felt sh!t, set at 142 felt sh!t, but then I thought of some inspirational quotes for the top sets, cranked the avril lavigne up full volume, didn't get a spotter, and absolutely destroyed them. Happy days. I know depth was good because I hit the bottom hard.
    I now have no problem saying that imho oly and front squats are the best quad exercises.
    Haven't done standing standing claves or ab pulldowns in ages and that s/s pretty much killed me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

One arm BB curl
    20kgs x 10,10,12

These make my wrist hurt just thinking about them.

Are you doing these with a full length barbell?

grimloch wrote: »
    These make my wrist hurt just thinking about them.

Are you doing these with a full length barbell?

Yeah the full sized 7ft bar. Took me a few tries to get the wrist stability/balance down, so if you have bad wrists they could be a bad idea.. But then again I believe they've improved my wrist strength considerably so could be worth a shot!

• Advertisement

One arm BB curl
    20kgs x 10,10,12

IDIBISHDI

Cool exercise tho, eh?

Advertisement