Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kev's Training Journal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Kev M wrote: »
    Yeah the full sized 7ft bar. Took me a few tries to get the wrist stability/balance down, so if you have bad wrists they could be a bad idea.. But then again I believe they've improved my wrist strength considerably so could be worth a shot!

I take a false grip when I do them. Lets me keep my wrist locked straight and balance the bar easier.

Just FYI for anyone having issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Hanley wrote: »
    IDIBISHDI

Cool exercise tho, eh?

Big time DIBISYDI

in fact, from the original one arm bb curl workout:
    "One arm BB curls IDIBISHDI, they weren't bad at all, balance was a bit off on the left side but was better on the 2nd set. For some reason I got the idea to do 2 bars at the same time, sort of crossed over one another, but then decided against it as there's only 4 bars and people could get pissed if I was curling with 2 of them smile.gif."

Savage exercise, has brought up curling strength (very important lol) fast. Struggling with 20 x 6 with no stability a few weeks ago to doubling the reps with rock solid form pretty easy now. Great pump too!!

You should never cross swords like that!!

RE: Strength increases - it's srsly neural. You learn to stabilise it super quick. I was doing ring push ups today for the first time. First set was like Michael J Fox working out with Shakeweight, by the 4th set I was good and solid on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

You should never cross swords like that!!

RE: Strength increases - it's srsly neural. You learn to stabilise it super quick. I was doing ring push ups today for the first time. First set was like Michael J Fox working out with Shakeweight, by the 4th set I was good and solid on them!

Michael J Fox references

IDIBISKPDI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

YFirst set was like Michael J Fox working out with Shakeweight

LOL :D:D

• Advertisement

Some crosstrainer

Lat pulldowns and leg adductor warmups

Bench
    20kgs x 12
    50kgs x 12
    70kgs x 8
    80kgs x 6
    90kgs x 5
    100kgs x 5
    110kgs x 3
    paused 120kgs x 4... happy with this, long solid pauses.
    100kgs x 12... paused last rep, strong set, happy with this.

slight hang snatch
    27kgs x 6
    32kgs x 3
    37kgs x 3
    42kgs x 3
    47kgs x 3
    52kgs x 2
    57kgs x 2
    62kgs x 2,2.... these were more like muscle snatches. But also still like reverse curl front raises...

Front Squat, clean grip
    62kgs 5 x 5

Combination of dodgy OH squats, Sotts press, really dodgy snatch balance
    22kgs 3 x 8-10

Vgrip pressdowns s/s Cable curls
    3 x 20 3 x 20

Pretty much in bits after that. Benchin was good, could have probably tied or beat PRs in the last 2 sets but stuck with quality over quantity. Still not using wraps or sleeves and feeling better for it.
    The snatches were alright, some of the better I've done, which again means fcuk all, but it's now pretty evident that I don't dip under the bar whatsoever, literally just catch it standing straight. With 62 however I couldn't throw it that high, so pressed out the last 2 or 3 inches.
    All the snatch flexibility moves basically bent me in ways I've never really been bent before, and I feel crippled now, and love it. I can't stay on my heels in that bottom position at all, poor ankle flexibility among other things. I reckon it's wise for me to front squat and practice these snatch positions with a wide stance, because decent oly lifters with longish legs/ short torso all seem to have to go wide. The wide stance also lets me take front squats 100% atg.
    Arm stuff to be full and pumped.

Today I did full snatches with a wooden stick. Really forced that bottom position pretty hard. Seriously surprised my shoulders aren't fcuked yet, DOMS'd to bits now, but feeling overall pretty god damn healthy.

Also of course learned that my beloved TF has closed... Been a member since I was 12, did all the kiddy classes back in the day, moved on to the crosstrainer and threadmill for an hour followed by swimming and jacuzzi/sauna, then at one point ventured down into the weight room and realised that I'd never be the same again :D - saw two of the top bbr's in the country doing dips with DB's hanging out of them bigger than I ever knew existed and was like 'Yeah I have to do this now!' :D. Some great times had, great people met, and just lessons learned full stop in that gym, and I'll seriously miss it!

Lat pulldowns
    up to 95kgs x 6,8

Seated vgrip rows
    up to near full stack x 12

Front Zombie Squat
    20kgs x 5
    40kgs x 5
    50kgs x 5
    60kgs x 5
    65kgs 5 x 5

BB curl
    40kgs 4 x 10

RG EZ curls
    30kgs 3 x 10

Reverse hypers
    nothing x 12
    5kgs 3 x 12

Hanging lat stretch s/s Facepulls s/s Ab crunch machine
    3 x 20-30 seconds 3 x 20 3 x 20

Did zombie squats to see how good my form is with regards to staying upright. They went well, best front squats I've ever done tbh, and saved my wrists too.
    Everything else was good, except for the ab machine which was ghey.

Shoulders are in bits, not in an injured sort of way, but in a bruised 'stop bouncing bars off of me' sort of way. Going progressively heavier will either make it significantly worse, or maybe the fact that the bar won't go temporarily airborne at the top of every rep will prevent it from giving me a beating, but I'm inclined to believe the former.

Also had a look around Universal Warrior gym today, looks good and very close to me, hardcore gym and a lot of good equipment. Might join in a while but for the time being Hercules will be the one stop shop.

Oly squats
    20kgs x 12
    70kgs x 8
    90kgs x 5
    110kgs x 5
    130kgs x 3
    140kgs x 3
    150kgs x 1
    155kgs x 1
    160kgs x 1.... Oly PR
    110kgs x 12

Snatch Balance
    the stick 4 x 10-12

Squats felt good, tending to go a litttle forward though, the oly shoes have done that to me. A weightlifting dude was telling me they were very deep for powerlifting, not so deep for weightlifting, but I dunno - like I'm hitting rock bottom, hopefully they'll manage to keep getting deeper as flexibility comes on.
    Snatch Balance's were quite poor, have trouble keeping on my heels at the bottom, keep letting the bar go forward, am just a mess in general. Think I'll get a physio to look at my shoulders before doing anything stupid, they're just tight as hell, also getting some magic done on my upper back could be good.

Be careful who you listen to in there.

• Advertisement

Be careful who you listen to in there.

Cheers, for sure! Suspicious is my middle name.

I'm considering getting some online coaching from one of the top guys, just video everything and get his input and how to program etc., will wait til I'm flexible enough to come up out of the snatch and actually practice jerks for a while first though.

Must have a read back through your log to go over your oly experience again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Cheers, for sure! Suspicious is my middle name.

I'm considering getting some online coaching from one of the top guys, just video everything and get his input and how to program etc., will wait til I'm flexible enough to come up out of the snatch and actually practice jerks for a while first though.

Must have a read back through your log to go over your oly experience again.

You know Glen Pendlay is here this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

You know Glen Pendlay is here this week?

i was wondering why you bought hair gel..

i was wondering why you bought hair gel..

I'll give you that one. I lol'd

Lolz,

Yeah I heard that, doing a seminar in ECB on Wednesday, would love to go but just haven't the time (but mostly the money :)). Jon North's gonna be lifting at it aswell, say it'd be savage alright. You going?

No, weightliftings gay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

No, weightliftings gay

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Oly squats
    20kgs x 12
    70kgs x 8
    90kgs x 5
    110kgs x 5
    130kgs x 3
    140kgs x 3
    150kgs x 1
    155kgs x 1
    160kgs x 1.... Oly PR
    110kgs x 12

Snatch Balance
    the stick 4 x 10-12

Squats felt good, tending to go a litttle forward though, the oly shoes have done that to me. A weightlifting dude was telling me they were very deep for powerlifting, not so deep for weightlifting, but I dunno - like I'm hitting rock bottom, hopefully they'll manage to keep getting deeper as flexibility comes on.
    Snatch Balance's were quite poor, have trouble keeping on my heels at the bottom, keep letting the bar go forward, am just a mess in general. Think I'll get a physio to look at my shoulders before doing anything stupid, they're just tight as hell, also getting some magic done on my upper back could be good.

Think I might hav witnessed your squat.... the oly guys was right

I know a few weightlifters none of whom have particularily deep 1rm squats.

Like they're a good depth but nothing crazy

I know a few weightlifters none of whom have particularily deep 1rm squats.

Like they're a good depth but nothing crazy

This.

My experience training in the sport, and with guys is that not many of them look particularly ass to grass when they're taking near max lifts. Below parallel for sure, but only by a couple of inches.

And lets not all forget that limb length is one of the biggest things. A guy with longer than average legs will be able to get much further below parallel than a guy with short legs like me.

• Advertisement

dave80 wrote: »
    Think I might hav witnessed your squat.... the oly guys was right

I don't know, I think there was only 3 of us in there at the time, and from your log I don't think either were as big as you!
    But if I missed ya, thanks for the input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

I don't know, I think there was only 3 of us in there at the time, and from your log I don't think either were as big as you!
    But if I missed ya, thanks for the input!

i seem bigger in my my log than i am in person... true story :D

dave80 wrote: »
    i seem bigger in my my log than i am in person... true story :D

I on the other hand am much fatter than my log would have you believe.

Bench
    20kgs x 12,12
    60kgs x 10
    80kgs x 10
    90kgs x 5
    100kgs x 5
    110kgs x 3
    120kgs x 3,3
    100kgs x 9

Zombie front squats, paused
    20kgs x 5
    40kgs x 5,5
    50kgs x 5
    60kgs x 3
    70kgs x 3,3,3

Some Rock n Roll Snatches w/43kgs... only for about 5 mins as platforms were closing

EZ bar curls s/s tri pressdowns
    50kgs x 8,6,6,6 s/s half stack or so 4 x 12

Benching wasn't great, first time using that bench and it felt much lower than I'm use to, also upper back slid on it quite easy, also I didn't take enough rest between sets because I was in a rush to get to the platforms. But bullsh!t excuses aside, bench just wasn't that strong.
    These front squats were deep, like seriously the closest to the basement I've ever gotten. Weight's not heavy it's still just more of a technique/flexibility movement atm. Would have made a vid from the side but gym was busy, in a rush etc.
    Had no time to really do snatches, thinking about it now, it would have made sense to snatch first then squat upstairs. But the rock and roll snatches felt alright, they're the same as the jump snatches except just rocking back onto the heels to bring in the posterior chain more, and to get the feel of the hips working. My internet guru L told me to do them, he's a good coach I'd recommend him :cool:.

Yeah, more people should listen to me. I fixed COH before the Heffernan fella killed him.

Front Squat Zombie Paused
    20kgs x 12
    60kgs x 5
    70kgs x 5
    75kgs 5 x 5

Chest Supported row
    30kgs x 12
    40kgs x 12
    50kgs x 12
    60kgs x 12
    70kgs x 12,12

DB row
    35kg x 12
    42.5kg x 12
    50kg x 12,12

Military Grip Pulldowns
    plate40 x 12
    plate60 x 12
    plate80 x 12,10

RG BB curls
    20kgs x 12
    25kgs x 12,12,12

Easy enough session, took a video of the first set at 75 on the squats, stance was a bit wide and depth doesn't look great which I'll attribute to not being warmed up at all at that stage. The last 2 sets felt better depth-wise, because I could sit down more at the bottom, but that was making the bar want to roll forward, meaning the upright position was being compromised, it's a work in progress.

Jump Snatches
    40kgs about 10 x 3

Jump Cleans
    40kgs about 6 x 4-8 some crap jerks thrown in

Push Press, fairly strict not going mad with leg drive
    40kgs x 5
    50kgs x 5
    60kgs x 5
    70kgs x 5
    75kgs x 3
    80kgs x 3
    85kgs x 3
    90kgs x fail forward + 1

Oly Squat paused
    40kgs x 8
    70kgs x 6
    90kgs x 3
    110kgs 5 x 3

So snatches were moderately bad, focusing on being quick with the hips.
    Cleans are a disgrace, no feel for them at all.
    Used a hook grip for everything and thumbs are fairly battered now.
    First time pressing in the oly shoes, actually felt very different.
    Squats were fairly easy, again just trying to force depth, think they're getting better but I'd be happier with another few inches. Videos are first and last sets at 110. Think the one from the side shows that there's more depth to be had, but also how it'll be hard to get without rounding my lower back.

THanks for reminding me how much I miss Hercs. Jerk.

Also, weightlifting - YDIBYSLDIWDIBHSHDI

• Advertisement

Also, weightlifting - YDIBYSLDIWDIBHSHDI

To an extent that's absolutely true, but also I always wanted to do this, it just wasn't accessible in that I didn't know what to do or how to start. Always had alot of time for weightlifting, one of my all time favourite sporting moments would have to be Steiner's performance at the 08 olympics, it was definitely on my to do list since then!

But yes also IDIBISYALDI :)

Advertisement