Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy reductions - pre-emtive strike for more welfare cutbacks?

Options
  • 10-04-2009 9:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Energy regulator cuts prices on gas and electrity with another cut expected in October. Me being a habitual cynic, one might suspect that this move will give the government the grren light to cut back on the household benefits package which includes free units for gas and electrity, and one might also think the fuel allowance will also be cut in December.

What are your thoughts :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you're inventing stuff.

Surely if the price is down, so should the payment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So you're saying they should cuts payments?....ergo, i was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

If they bring in Carbon Tax that will bring up the Price of Coal and heating materals
    The price of gas has not decreased yet! Trying to hit the old people again would bring the government down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Energy regulator cuts prices on gas and electrity with another cut expected in October. Me being a habitual cynic, one might suspect that this move will give the government the grren light to cut back on the household benefits package which includes free units for gas and electrity, and one might also think the fuel allowance will also be cut in December.

What are your thoughts :confused:

Well the value of free units of gas and electricity, as it is "per unit" actually goes down with the price of electricity...which is totally fair, and self regulating...whatever...

The fuel allowance is a tricky one. See, given our unpredictable weather, it can NEVER be fair, whatever you do with it.

Last winter cost far more to heat than the previous several...how do you predict that?

It's just too hard to predict where we will all be in October...

You do realise there is literally NO WAY to know between this all being over and the recovery being begun...and the 30s looking like a walk in the park...

Also remember that the price of gas and electricity affects a LOT more than just welfare allowances (it's and huge cost to industry), and if it can be cut, due to falling prices, it should be.

On the whole, the winter fuel allowance has never been realistic at best...but, if prices do fall appreciably, then the welfare base rate will have to be cut...

But, OPENLY, TRANSPARENTLY, and only by the same percentage as the price of the actual staples claimant are likely to buy...and NOT related to the fall in the prices of luxury property or a top of the range lexus...

I am not against cuts in line with relevant deflation (when it happens), I am against stealth cuts in line with nothing more than who can bully their landlord and who can't.

Advertisement