Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra Fan Unit

• 10-04-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Hey, I recently got my 360 and decided very early on to make sure I'd take care of it. I bought a detachable fan unit as I've heard alot about RROD; that the machine gets too hot and this causes components to expand and crack and such. Will the additional Fan make any significent difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yes it will cool it down, but it will also make the 360 5x noisier. Also if MS found out you've been using one it could void your warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Hey, I recently got my 360 and decided very early on to make sure I'd take care of it. I bought a detachable fan unit as I've heard alot about RROD; that the machine gets too hot and this causes components to expand and crack and such. Will the additional Fan make any significent difference?

If it is the one that you atach behind original fans - it will make a difference, it will kill your xbox as its actually blocking original airflow. is simple words, don't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

docentore wrote: »
    If it is the one that you atach behind original fans - it will make a difference, it will kill your xbox as its actually blocking original airflow. is simple words, don't use it.

Yes it's that type :/ also it allows me to use non-360 audio & cables...feck. Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

way too noisy they are. Mine is dumped in a box somewhere.
    Besides the failure rate on new 360's is fairly low now so you should be ok.
    Plus you have the 3 year RROD warranty from MS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard they as take their power from the 360 which causes even more heat and can increase the temperature inside the 360 as a result. Just leave it in an open space and never use it vertically since this blocks the biggest vent on the 360. You should be alright then.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yep they do more harm than good supposedly. I'd avoid using it. Keep it apart from other stuff as much as possible to have a good airflow and you should be fine. As was said previously the failure rate has dropped since the newer iterations of the hardware. You should be grand.

Well, the general consensus amongst gamers is that the fan does more harm than good, so I'll detach it. I bought my 360 second-hand so I don't know what generation it is or if it's been repaired before, what would happen if it broke down and I tried to go to Microsoft? Obviously no receipt or proof of purchase, but could I atleast pay for a repair?

Repairs are costly outside of warranty. You can tell the model of it by a few different aspects but mainly the wattage of the Power Supply. If its rated as a 175w unit than you've got one of the revised models. MS can tell how old the unit is by the serial code on the back because it contains the month and year of manufacture afaik.

Check this link for how to tell if it's a Falcon.

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2008/02/05/how-to-spot-a-falcon-65nm-360-in-the-wild/

There's a newer one again out at the mo but it's only available a month or two so you're unlike to have it.

No it's 203w I believe. Feck. Hope to god nothing ever goes wrong.

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you keep it well ventilated. You'll find folks on here saying how they are on their 20th unit and you have to question the way they have it positioned. Plenty of air in a room with a reasonable ambient temp and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement