Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen extractor fan problem

Options
  • 10-04-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi, I have a kitchen extractor fan in my house on wall not hood. It was there when i bought house - a few days back the outside went fell off. It seems that it had a clamp inside it which connected in to back off the fan, the connection had rusted away. I discovered there is was no ducting from the fan, also discovered that the kitchen which is an extension has cavity walls - rest of house is cavity block.

I have got vent covering hold in wall temporarily. Should I try and get ducting from fan out or am I ok to simply try and attach a grill to outside of wall with screws/wallplugs etc?

also would it be possible to insulate kitchen with pumped foam as it has cavity walls eventhough rest of house cavity block.

any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Handyman is spot on there. Wall should be sleeved with 4" upvc pipe (Wavin), otherwise a fire in your kitchen could spread into the cavity wall construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

thanks guys, will try and get sorted. fan is actually about 8" in a diameter so holes are too. showed a picture to guy in hardware shop who hadnt seen anything like it before. may go for broke and replace with a cooker hood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

chickey wrote: »
    Hi, I have a kitchen extractor fan in my house on wall not hood. It was there when i bought house - a few days back the outside went fell off. It seems that it had a clamp inside it which connected in to back off the fan, the connection had rusted away. I discovered there is was no ducting from the fan, also discovered that the kitchen which is an extension has cavity walls - rest of house is cavity block.

I have got vent covering hold in wall temporarily. Should I try and get ducting from fan out or am I ok to simply try and attach a grill to outside of wall with screws/wallplugs etc?

also would it be possible to insulate kitchen with pumped foam as it has cavity walls eventhough rest of house cavity block.

any advice appreciated.

You can not pump a cavity block wall. Not unless you drill every block. If thats what you have.

You should consider dry lining. Battening the wall inside, installing 50mm PU type insulation and reslabing (maybe with an insulated slab if you have the room).

Never seen an 8" hole for an extractor before? Hard to know whats going on there.

Advertisement