Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which digital camera to buy?? (Tips/advice please)

• 10-04-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Im not a photographer at all but would like some help in buying a new digital camera, thought this forum would be best for getting advice.

Right, I have two cameras.
    1. Is a 10mp camera but runs on batteries, which wont last a whole night even though I'd only take about 20 pictures, so I have to bring spare batteries with me wherever I go! Also pictures taken during the dark or in night clubs look c**p!
    2. I bought because it came with a printer for E100 and came with chargable batteries, trouble is its a 8mp so again pictures look c**p

Anyways Im thinking of buying a new camera but don't know which one to buy. (Hence buying two which are both ****e)

Can anyone recommend a good digital camera that doesn't cost loads?
    Also because I haven't a clue about cameras, tips or advice on what to look for when buying one would also be appreciated.
    Was looking at the Sony Cybershot 10mp ones. Any good???

Thanks for the help and advice

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The MP of the sensor is not an indication of the quality of a camera.

Any compact Point & Shoot camera will not give you very good results in low light conditions.

I would stick with the ones you have unless you want to spens a lot more money & spend some time learning a bit about photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Lolabugs wrote: »
    trouble is its a 8mp so again pictures look c**p

i dont know enough to advise you on what to buy. but i've printed some really nice 6x4 pics that came out of a 3.2mp camera.....

i wouldn't worry about megapixels anyway. 8 is loads.

edit - i didn't see that first reply before i posted mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Lolabugs

Must be me then :D

Seriously nearly ALL pictures that I take come out really bad. (maybe 2 in 10 is good)
    Have a little girl that wont stay little forever so trying to take lots of pictures, also going away soon and would love to take at least a few decent pictures.

Heard good things about the cybershot that's why I was thinking of buying it

Must be me then :D

Seriously nearly ALL pictures that I take come out really bad. (maybe 2 in 10 is good)
    Have a little girl that wont stay little forever so trying to take lots of pictures, also going away soon and would love to take at least a few decent pictures.

Heard good things about the cybershot that's why I was thinking of buying it

what do you mean by bad? do you mean blurred?

what do you mean by bad? do you mean blurred?

some blurred some just not good quality.

Whats the difference between an 8mp camera and a 10mp camera?
    Which is better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Hi there, If you gave an indication of your budget, it would help you get better advice.

some blurred some just not good quality.

Whats the difference between an 8mp camera and a 10mp camera?
    Which is better

i cant imagine 8 or 10mp makes a big difference. maybe if you are blowing up very big prints the 10mp would be better.

if you are getting bad shots from both your cameras, i'd guess you're either very unlucky and got two bad cameras, or, more likely, you just need to work at it a bit and practice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Im not a photographer at all but would like some help in buying a new digital camera, thought this forum would be best for getting advice.

Right, I have two cameras.
    1. Is a 10mp camera but runs on batteries, which wont last a whole night even though I'd only take about 20 pictures, so I have to bring spare batteries with me wherever I go! Also pictures taken during the dark or in night clubs look c**p!
    2. I bought because it came with a printer for E100 and came with chargable batteries, trouble is its a 8mp so again pictures look c**p

Anyways Im thinking of buying a new camera but don't know which one to buy. (Hence buying two which are both ****e)

Can anyone recommend a good digital camera that doesn't cost loads?
    Also because I haven't a clue about cameras, tips or advice on what to look for when buying one would also be appreciated.
    Was looking at the Sony Cybershot 10mp ones. Any good???

Thanks for the help and advice

You're really approaching this from the wrong angles. Most of your issues with the photographs you're taking are not because you have only 8 or 10 MP. I have a 10MP camera, it's a DSLR but until I had it, I only had a 6MP camera and prior to that it was 5MP. The resolution of the camera is only really important when it comes to deciding how big you want to print. If you're looking at normal sized brings then frankly whether you are looking at 8 or 10, it's irrelevant. In terms of difference, however, the 10MP will allow you to print slightly bigger pictures but it's like way out on the large end. For a normal 6x4 photograph, 8 is way more than adequate.

I'm guessing that you are having trouble with slow exposures meaning handshake is a feature of your night photographs, hence blur. I am assuming that both your cameras have flash.

Here's what I would recommend. Learn a little about how cameras work. For example, figure out how to set the shutter speed on both cameras and make sure that at night, they are not below 1/60 or 1/100 (the shakier your hands are, the 1/100 is safer) and shoot with flash and see what happens.

Until you do that, you could spend any amount of money on compact cameras and it won't change your problems.

Any tips??? :D

Thanks for the help, might just go through the different functions on the cameras. Maybe thats where Im going wrong... didnt explore the cameras enough

Advertisement