Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CDI unit - Indicator problem?

• 10-04-2009 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

A certain workshop has told me that my indicators are not working properly due to a faulty CDI unit. But, if I understand correctly, the CDI unit is basically a capacitor and timer for providing high voltage electricity to the spark plug.

My indicators don't activate unless I'm braking, and at slow speed. I know this is an electrical issue, but is it even possible that the CDI unit is responsible for this type of issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

A certain workshop has told me that my indicators are not working properly due to a faulty CDI unit. But, if I understand correctly, the CDI unit is basically a capacitor and timer for providing high voltage electricity to the spark plug.

My indicators don't activate unless I'm braking, and at slow speed. I know this is an electrical issue, but is it even possible that the CDI unit is responsible for this type of issue?
    What bike? I think the indicator relay/flasher is usually separate from the cdi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    What bike? I think the indicator relay/flasher is usually separate from the cdi.

Sorry. I forgot to mention. It's a Gilera DNA 180.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sorry. I forgot to mention. It's a Gilera DNA 180.

Are the indicators/CDI/electrics stock or are any add ons?

nereid wrote: »
    Are the indicators/CDI/electrics stock or are any add ons?

All stock. Thanks for your help guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

First thing I'd check are that all the bulbs working and correctly seated.

Next thing to check are the wiring couplers, that they are correctly seated. It may help un-clicking and clicking them in to make sure rain or moisture hasn't corroded / shorted any. First port of call here would be any of the indicators or brake lights.

After that, it's down to grounding circuits, and checking all other connectors. It may help if you can identify exactly when it doesn't work. If it is a specific sequence that you can replicate each time then you can check each link in that chain to find you problem.

I.e. right indicator on + back brake on = check right indicator + rear brake circuits incl levers and switches etc etc.

If you can't find the problem easily, at least this specific circumstance can help a mechanic not spend hours with unnecessary diagnosis.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

my spider powers tell me its an earth problem, I doubt the CDi has anything to do with it. As already said disconnect all electrical connections one at a time, clean and dry them, then reconnect. Use WD40 if you find moisture or rust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Some mopeds have the flasher unit built into the voltage regulator , this is probably what the shop were trying to explain.

Usually they would be wired up something like this :

LH---->indicator switch on handlebar
    flasher unit---fuse---ignition switch----battery
    RH
    ^

As a few have said above if it still works under a certain set of circumstances ( brake lights on etc) its probably just wiring/corroded connectors etc.

You could just get another standard flasher unit if that is the problem and hook it up instead , but the current set up probably functions as some sort of early warning that the regulator is going to die .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Some good advice in this thread, sorry i don't know much about Gilera DNA's but i do know electrical issues are a pain to sort out, good luck with it!
    If you can get hold of a workshop manual/wiring diagram online you could check if the cdi/flasher is all one unit on the Gilera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

similar thing happened me a couple of weeks ago on my Gilera Runner
    Indicators would only work at slow speeds, then they worked normally after a few days.,
    Few days later the wouldnt work at all even at slow speed
    Also at the same time my speedometer (incl Trip Counter and Mileage Counter) stopped working
    Indicators have started working again but speedometer and Counters still not working..

Thanks for all the advice.

The workshop is gonna install the new CDI unit. If it doesn't work, I won't be paying!

All the wiring seems fine, and the bulbs are seated well.

I'll post the results.

• Advertisement

Just an update for anyone interested.

The CDI unit was indeed the cause. On the Gilera DNA 180's, the CDI until functions as a flasher unit as well. The DNA 50's and 125's have it incorporated into the voltage regulator.

A big thank you to the guys at Bikeworld for identifying the cause of the issue, ordering in a new CDI unit and then fitting/testing it....all free of labour charges!!! So I only paid for the CDI unit itself!

Advertisement