Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering A Pup - Advice

Options
  • 10-04-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wanted to get a bit of info. Last year, my uncle gave a pure bed springer spaniel to my brother. My brother has a fair few dogs for hunting and my uncle couldn't care for this springer female anymore.

My brother has now bred the dog with another pure bred springer. He is giving my girlfriend's family a pup but he isn't interested in registering the pups.

I was wondering however if I can register the pup. Trouble is, the mother springer is still in my uncle's name. How could I go about registering the pup?

Do I need to get the springer out of my uncle's name to register the pup or can I contact the kennel club directly myself about registering it?

For example, do I have to get my brother to change the dog into his name and then he can sign the pup over to me by a transfer? Does it matter that the dog wasn't in my brother's name when the dog had the pups?

I've just got the papers to join the kennel club and am joining.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

The Kennel Club would be the best place to ask- their site is www.ikc.ie, should be a phone number there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im sorry, the only person who can register the pup is the breeder. You wont be able to register the pups as you arent the breeder.
    Also, the pup can also only be registered if both parents are registered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

andreac wrote: »
    Im sorry, the only person who can register the pup is the breeder. You wont be able to register the pups as you arent the breeder.
    Also, the pup can also only be registered if both parents are registered too.

Both parents are registered. Can my brother register the pups though if the mother isn't in his name?

No, as far as i know only the owner of the dog can register them. You would have to ring kennel club and ask. But i know only the breeder can register them.

No, as far as i know only the owner of the dog can register them. You would have to ring kennel club and ask. But i know only the breeder can register them.

I'll have to get my brother to change the dog into his name then and then can register them.

• Advertisement

Is there a reason you have to have the pups registered?

Is there a reason you have to have the pups registered?

Just thought it'd be best to have them IKC registered.

Well the only reason you would need to register them is if you wanted to show them, or breed from them and register the pups. It doesnt really mean anything else, so might not be worth the hassle if its not for one of the reasons i mentioned.

Well the only reason you would need to register them is if you wanted to show them, or breed from them and register the pups. It doesnt really mean anything else, so might not be worth the hassle if its not for one of the reasons i mentioned.

Well may breed them in future and I'm interested in getting into showing dogs etc. so wanted to have the pups registered.

Ok i see, well you will have to get the original owner to hand over paperwork to your brother then and make sure he gets all the paperwork in order first as the pups cant be done unless the registered owner of the dog registers the pups.

• Advertisement

Ok i see, well you will have to get the original owner to hand over paperwork to your brother then and make sure he gets all the paperwork in order first as the pups cant be done unless the registered owner of the dog registers the pups.

Ah yeah, everything is in hand to get them registered. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement