Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick shooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

We will always be a violent nation, no one is safe anywhere -:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Princess Jade

Bring back internment for crime peoples.

J
    xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Happened just barely round the corner from the 2nd biggest Garda station in the city. Craziness. Very busy takeaway right next to it. Tescos just behind where it happened. I often do my weekly shop there with my toddler in tow. Scary. unfortunatly this problem is not just confined to Limerick. Is nowhere safe anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I believe it's particularly severe in Limerick - that's not to say there are scumbags everywhere you look there obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

And all because he gave evidence against the scumbag traveller, Wayne Dundon, 4 years ago.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    I believe it's particularly severe in Limerick - that's not to say there are scumbags everywhere you look there obviously.

Never heard of West Dublin? It's far worse than Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Shot in the back...

Your're Cowards, sad bastards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

testicle wrote: »
    And all because he gave evidence against the scumbag traveller, Wayne Dundon, 4 years ago.

It wasn't him who gave evidence, it was his cousin according to the newspaper
    Mr Collins was brutally shot dead in the arcade he managed in the city because his cousin, Ryan Lee, gave evidence against criminal Wayne Dundon, a leading member of the notorious McCarthy-Dundon gang.

I would imagine it would put a lot of people off given evidence

Never heard of West Dublin?
    No, never heard of it.

Sorry but most of the population of Limerick go about there daily lives without any involvment, connection whatsoever. In fact most only read about it in newspapers same as the rest of the country.

Media are in love with the fued in limerick. Jump on it every time something happens. I'm sure they rub their hands in glee whenever something major happens.

I do realise the fued gives the media plenty of fodder but in fairness there is a lot more to Limerick

• Advertisement

Saibh wrote: »
    It wasn't him who gave evidence, it was his cousin according to the newspaper

True, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

What is particularly severe in Limerick?

The problem of gang violence.
    Birdie086 wrote: »
    Sorry but most of the population of Limerick go about there daily lives without any involvment, connection whatsoever.
    Never said they didn't.
    I do realise the fued gives the media plenty of fodder but in fairness there is a lot more to Limerick
    Never said there wasn't.

True, my apologies.

It is sad though, that any relative is not safe if you had to evidence.

It would be a tough decision for someone to make - give evidence and make sure the person is sent to jail, or not give evidence and the criminal gets away with it.

The problem of gang violence.

Never said they didn't.

Never said there wasn't.

What's your point so?

Sorry maybe in all my waffle I didnt get my point accross properly, the problem isnt anymore severe than anywhere else in Ireland. Lawlessness is a major issue up and down the country. The fued is the media wet dream. When an act of violence occurs in Limerick the media always make sure to mention whether or not its fued related.

Indeed. There have been as many murders in Cork so far this year than there have been in Limerick. Up until this week, there were more in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Princess Jade

Dudess,

Give it up ffs.

J

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

MIN2511 wrote: »
    We will always be a violent nation, no one is safe anywhere -:(

A violent minority doesn't represent the entire nation, not by a long, long way.

Um... is it not obvious? LOL at the defensiveness. Here's my point: it appears gang violence has become a considerable problem in Limerick - simple.

Disclaimer: That doesn't mean people can't go down the street without being attacked but there is a problem, and to say there isn't is just denial. At the same time, yes I've no doubt the media exaggerates things, but anyone with a hint of intelligence is aware the vast majority of Limerick people are decent and the vast majority of people's lives aren't touched directly by the violence. To say this has become quite the problem is not an attack on Limerick.

It's also disingenuous to say things are similar everywhere else - gang violence like this is not a problem in, for instance, Cork. Not saying that out of a sense of civic pride - I'm not remotely "proud" to be from Cork and if there were gang shootings in Cork I wouldn't have a problem saying so.

• Advertisement

A violent minority doesn't represent the entire nation, not by a long, long way.

thanks for that, I hate having justify being from Limerick. I love my city. Had a good childhood in Moyross and now live just outside of the city.
    I'm not oblivious to what goes on but I hate the we are all tarred with the same brush!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mr. Croft

Ah sure its grand its grand, isn't dublin and corks just as bad. I hate Limerick, it has a bad energy, has lots of good people too but it's the bad ones who stand out. Glad I moved, sorry if this gets up people noses but thats my honest opinion.

Headline Crimes per 1000 population (2007)

Dublin - North Central - 124.00
    Dublin - South Central - 97.49
    Dublin - Eastern - 23.84
    Dublin - Southern - 23.80
    Dublin - Western - 23.22
    Dublin - Northern - 19.64
    Cork City - 20.93 <- What's that Dudess ?
    Waterford/Kilkenny - 20.05
    Limerick City - 16.75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

thanks for that, I hate having justify being from Limerick. I love my city. Had a good childhood in Moyross and now live just outside of the city.
    I'm not oblivious to what goes on but I hate the we are all tarred with the same brush!!!

You're very welcome pleasedontstabme. :)

To say feud/gang violence seems to be a problem in Limerick (not going by the media, going by word of mouth from people who live in Limerick) is not at all tarring all Limerick people with the same brush.

I'm referring specifically to gang/feud-related violence.

I'm referring specifically to gang/feud-related violence.

So you admit that Limerick is safer than Cork?

(Unless you happen to be in a gang, or have any connections to any gangland activities)

To say feud/gang violence seems to be a problem in Limerick (not going by the media, going by word of mouth from people who live in Limerick) is not at all tarring all Limerick people with the same brush.

I know I'm over senstitive so maybe I shouldnt comment. The media exagerrate this fued. Every time I'm away which is quite a lot the minute you introduce yourself as being from Limerick there is always a negative comment.

Maybe I'm just fed up of this and shouldnt be commenting on this forum cos my opionion is clouded by this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Personally I'd have no problem if the Goverment sanctioned a special ops group to wipe them all out.
    Hell..don't even bother even making it look like an accident..
    Plus if they admitted...yes we took all those fcuking scumbags out, their approval ratings would go through the roof. They'd get my vote as bad as they are with the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Dudess,

Give it up ffs.

J

xx

Give what up? Dudess is only sayin it like it is.

I'm from Limerick (county) and am disgusted at this cowardly murder, but it irks me every time theres a murder in Limerick you get people saying "Oh Cork is worse, oh Dublin is just as bad...." Who actually checks the figures as to how many murders there are in Cork/Dublin as a kind of point scoring thing?! :confused:

One murder in Limerick is one too many, regardless whats goin on in the rest of the country. Lets sort our own house out first and hunt down these animals. :mad:

Personally I'd have no problem if the Goverment sanctioned a special ops group to wipe them all out.

I don't think anyone would to be honest, with the exception of Richard Boyd-Barrett, Dana Rosemary the Scallion, Kathy Sinnott, and people of that ilk.
    Who actually checks the figures as to how many murders there are in Cork/Dublin as a kind of point scoring thing?! :confused:

I didn't have to check them, I had them to hand.

I know I'm over senstitive so maybe I shouldnt comment. The media exagerrate this fued. Every time I'm away which is quite a lot the minute you introduce yourself as being from Limerick there is always a negative comment.

Maybe I'm just fed up of this and shouldnt be commenting on this forum cos my opionion is clouded by this
    Well unfortunately there are idiots who'd say stuff like "Limerick people are scum" and that kind of nonsense, so yeah, from that perspective I'd understand defensiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I don't think anyone would to be honest, with the exception of Richard Boyd-Barrett, Dana Rosemary the Scallion, Kathy Sinnott, and people of that ilk.

Typical do-gooders...gimps like those are the ones that let padeophiles/child molesters/rapists out on bail...their poor rights are being trampled on ec...does my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Limerick people are scum
    Jeez, let it go already.

Well unfortunately there are idiots who'd say stuff like "Limerick people are scum" and that kind of nonsense, so yeah, from that perspective I'd understand defensiveness.
    Aidric wrote: »
    Jeez, let it go already.

If you had quoted the rest of her post, you would see that she wasn't saying it herself, she was saying people in general were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

time to get tough on these guys and i mean gardai sit on them watch them dont let them p*ss in comfort, bring in laws that if you have convictions your dole is cut off and council house taken away. Then bring in 45 year terms in jail for murder and by jail i mean real jail no gym no cinema room a proper russian gulag for these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

If you had quoted the rest of her post, you would see that she wasn't saying it herself, she was saying people in general were.
    Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I'm not from Limerick, but I've read things about why certain families behave like animals.
    Is it because they're descended from the 'black and tans', or is it social deprivation, or is this traveler related, or all three?

Just curious to know what someone living there thinks or knows?

Typical do-gooders...gimps like those are the ones that let padeophiles/child molesters/rapists out on bail...their poor rights are being trampled on etc
    Do you really think they'd do that? In particular devout catholic Dana?
    So you admit that Limerick is safer than Cork?
    Numbers of murders aren't an indication of level of safety.
    And also:
    Population of Limerick city: approx 91,000
    Population of Cork city: approx 190,000
    (Unless you happen to be in a gang, or have any connections to any gangland activities)
    Yes, that's what I was originally referring to. What's wrong with simply saying I believe it's becoming quite the problem in Limerick? It's only you who's imbuing it with deeper meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I'm not from Limerick, but I've read about why certain families behave like animals.
    Is it because they're descended from the 'black and tans', or is it social deprivation, or is this traveler related, or all three?

Just curious to know what someone living there thinks or knows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭blogga

There will be an Irish response:
    1. Much defence of Limerick with statistics etc.
    2. Extra Garda patrols for a while
    3. Speeches of condemnation
    4. Money thrown at "deprived" areas
    5. 12 year "life" sentences imposed if anyone can be convicted if anyone will give evidence if anyone will sit on a jury
    6. Politicians will posture
    7. Problem will recur
    8. Perpetual analysis on whineline and boards ie

The solution is as old as the problem.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I would imagine it would put a lot of people off given evidence

Put a lot of people off having cousins who give evidence is the point. It's one thing to worry about yourself, another to worry about your family & friends.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dublin - Eastern - 23.84
    Dublin - Western - 23.22
    Limerick City - 16.75

So south and east have higher crime rates than north and west dublin?

Where are the stats from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

Dublin - Eastern - 23.84
    Dublin - Western - 23.22
    Limerick City - 16.75

headline crime includes things like prostitution as well as assaults that cause harm so can we seriously say thats the same as murder?? stats can be used to distort fact 62% of people know that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Hell..don't even bother even making it look like an accident..
    Plus if they admitted...yes we took all those fcuking scumbags out, their approval ratings would go through the roof. They'd get my vote as bad as they are with the economy.

+1
    I'd be in the queue to sign up to this special ops team too.

I have lived in Limerick for 26 years, that being my entire life. I have not once, in all the nights out and wanderings around the city, come close to these scumbags.

It truly sickens my sh1t that these dirty filthy rat b&stards have given Limerick this 'image'. It also sickens my sh1t that because of this 'image', there now seems to be a nationwide assumption that walking through Limerick is the equivalent to staring death in the face. FFS, how many murders have occurred in Dublin this year? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it come close to something like one a week?? How many in Limerick??

These putrid sacks of dirt are hidden away for the most part, but as soon as they do something, the media pounce on it and Limerick will again be subject to headlines such as 'a city in turmoil' or 'turf wars rip through limerick yet again'.

Its so very fcuking tiring.

Fizman wrote: »
    there now seems to be a nationwide assumption that walking through Limerick is the equivalent to staring death in the face.
    Only idiots would make such an assumption. Give reasonable people credit where credit's due.
    FFS, how many murders have occurred in Dublin this year? Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it come close to something like one a week?? How many in Limerick??
    To be fair, seeing as Dublin's population is so much bigger than Limerick's, the percentage probably works out the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

To be fair, seeing as Dublin's population is so much bigger than Limerick's, the percentage probably works out the same.

This doesn't hold water with me I'm afraid. A life is a life, regardless of location, population density etc.

I'm beginning to think Limerick people should almost be a little chuffed. In some strange way, when someone gets killed in this city, the death seems to be far more important an issue than someone getting killed anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Fishtits wrote: »
    Shot in the back...

Your're Cowards, sad bastards...
    Complete cowards and bitches in my books. If they were so scary why dont they use their fists rather than being a bitch and using a weapon from behind. They would more than likely get the head bet off them. Hopefully though a few more of the wannabe tough guys will die in a really horrible , painful and slow way. Nob heads the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

blogga wrote: »
    There will be an Irish response:
    1. Much defence of Limerick with statistics etc.
    2. Extra Garda patrols for a while
    3. Speeches of condemnation
    4. Money thrown at "deprived" areas
    5. 12 year "life" sentences imposed if anyone can be convicted if anyone will give evidence if anyone will sit on a jury
    6. Politicians will posture
    7. Problem will recur
    8. Perpetual analysis on whineline and boards ie
    9. Post similar American tragedies; deny Ireland has a problem.

The solution is as old as the problem.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Overheal wrote: »
    FYP
    Whats that mean?

• Advertisement
Advertisement