Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes, I take pictures in the dark...

• 10-04-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

I'm really not with it. I was bright enough to go and check the sunset time this evening but it never dawned on me to check the moon rise time. I look out my window and there's a nice bulbous full moon in the east and had I noticed it rising a couple of hours ago while I was still in Howth, freezing, I might have had a go at it.

However, what I did do was this sort of stuff:

4424AB7C55A442378E2A35C3DEA91132.jpg

(stacked filters again)

B692850769DD4796A393016A103E05E8.jpg

(manual focussing != easy when it's dark and the camera is at floor level)

4949D6537B6A40B79FAEC81E581B64F9.jpg

It's been a while but Howth Lighthouse and my cameras have generally had good relationships.

I had fun.

Technical details stuff...oh god I have no idea. I took 86 photographs of which 7 got uploaded to the hosting sites so proportionately, shocking harvest rate. But a couple that I really like. Exposure times to the tune of 20 and 30 seconds. The red one is a stacked tobacco and ND filter (can't remember which one). Handiest tool of the night - the torch I keep in my handbag for emergencies. LCD screens are illegible in the dark. And LiveView makes a huge difference when you're trying to compose these things.

What I found tonight is that some people can be very nice. The guy who live in the lighthouse stopped to wait for me to finish one of the photographs before driving to his front door - really nice - and a few people stepped out of the way while I waited for long exposures to complete. Couple of plonkers around as well but that's the way it goes. And one lady was surprised to see me point a camera at the lighthouse...I did try using the flash a couple of times but not much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

love the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i think the second picture is very nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Lovely stuff there.

Will you be bringing some of these images along on Tuesday for the Members Showcase?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

CabanSail wrote: »
    Lovely stuff there.

Will you be bringing some of these images along on Tuesday for the Members Showcase?

great images :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Great pics,love the first one.well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Love the 1st and 3rd!

Maybe up the contrast on the third? Then again I'm on a very dull monitor today...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First one is superb Calina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

CabanSail wrote: »
    Lovely stuff there.

didn't occur to me to be honest. I'll see how they print up and see what else I have got.

Thanks you all by the way. Appreciate it. When I do something slightly different, like this, and the stuff from Malahide the other day, it's a bit nervewracking showing it to other people just in case you're the only one who actually likes it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Doesn't have to be prints, you can bring along about 10 or so digital images to project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

1st one is ace!

• Advertisement
Advertisement