Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out of date chemicals

• 11-04-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I was developing two rolls of Ilford Delta 100 tonight; the chemicals i was using were out of date and the film came out fogged. How much of an effect does the date of the chemical have on the development process? I sat in the dark room for 10min to confirm there were no light leaks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Burnt wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I was developing two rolls of Ilford Delta 100 tonight; the chemicals i was using were out of date and the film came out fogged. How much of an effect does the date of the chemical have on the development process? I sat in the dark room for 10min to confirm there were no light leaks.
    What developer is it and when did it expire? Is the film fresh or it's expired as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Generally, expired means you're going to have to leave it longer...

But, if there's something important on the rolls, and you'd like to get some good results, I'd advise cutting off 2/3 inches and developing that, and judging your results on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Generally, expired means you're going to have to leave it longer...

But, if there's something important on the rolls, and you'd like to get some good results, I'd advise cutting off 2/3 inches and developing that, and judging your results on it!
    `

This is what I would advise too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

You say the film came out fogged? Try Re-Fixing and re-washing the film (you cannot do any damage). If the film is milky then fixing will probably work, if it looks underexposed and muddy it's probably the dev and fixing won't work.

You cannot take chances with developing film, Chemisrty MUST be in date. Also be very carefull with chemistry once it's opened, the expiry date only applies to un-opened bottles. For film dev buy it in bottles you know you will use within a month (or less) once opened.
    Paper dev, Fix and Stop are a different matter, it's easy to see if the work without doing any permanent damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Cheers Guys,

I'll give the refixing a go and buy a batch of new chemicals. Film was brand new.

• Advertisement
Advertisement