Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started jogging after kicking the smokes

Options
  • 11-04-2009 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey,

Gave up smokes in January after 18yrs and decided that if i was ever to get fit this would be the best time. Started jogging for a month now.(approx twice per week). Just jogging around a 400m track at the moment. Can definitely feel myself getting fitter. Here are distance /times done so far:

Distance (km) Minutes
    4 25min
    4 21min
    4.8 30min
    4.8 30min
    5.6 28min
    6 32min
    6.4 36min
    6.8 32min
    7.2 34min

Hope to do a 10km at some stage.
    Any tips? Aged 32 Male.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It can be helpful to follow a structured program (from where you are at the moment, the Hal Higdon novice 10k program might be useful to you), and to pick a race to focus on. You'll probably notice a little more progress too if you could get a third session in during the week.

Congratulations on giving up the smokes btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Tips:

1. Join a local club - easier to run in a group and organised training sessions. Don't be put off thinking clubs are just for competitive runners - we all start somewhere & most of us are in it for the fun/fitness.
    I trained for my own for 2 years, found myself always lapsing on the sessions, not keeping a good pace etc. Since I joined a club this year, I've been going out consistently and my weight, fitness & times have all improved a lot.

2. Training on a track - make sure you keep to outer lanes, inside lane gets far too much use & if there's a club training, good etiquette says you should give them the inner lanes to use, as they are likely to be pushing it doing intervals, etc.

Advertisement