Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next election

Options
  • 11-04-2009 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

A few questions here really. Has the budget and it's aftermath affected your mindset regarding who you will vote for in the next election? if so, which party will get your vote and do you think ff will even make it to the next election? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

so far none of the political parties came up with anything resembling a sound economic policy that can get us out of this

some like SF dont even have an economic policy...

so were screwed

maybe time too start reading up on some independents

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

I voted for Fianna Fail in 97,02 and 07. I trusted them and Bertie Ahern. I feel so angry and betrayed by them now. This property tax they are threatening is really going to hurt lower paid workers and families. I really hope some Fianna Fail TDs will do their "patriotic duty" and pull the plug on this shambles before they wreck the country completly.

mikedublin wrote: »
    I voted for Fianna Fail in 97,02 and 07. I trusted them and Bertie Ahern. I feel so angry and betrayed by them now. This property tax they are threatening is really going to hurt lower paid workers and families. I really hope some Fianna Fail TDs will do their "patriotic duty" and pull the plug on this shambles before they wreck the country completly.

nope it will hurt people with many properties

landlords, speculators and builders

bring it on i say

house prices need to be knocked back where they should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

They will always follow the party whip !
    mikedublin wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

ionix5891 wrote: »

bring it on i say

I'd have to agree there
    Greed got us in to this mess!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bring it on i say

Except that it will just get passed along to tenants. And what's the point in getting at builders now we have taken all their toxic loans....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭alegrabaroque

A few questions here really. Has the budget and it's aftermath affected your mindset regarding who you will vote for in the next election? if so, which party will get your vote and do you think ff will even make it to the next election? Thanks.

Have voted green becuase it seemed the only option the last few years, not that I`ve any confidence in them or any other politician today. The right people are not the ones who are charismatic and popular or say the right thing (thats whats happened and where has it got us). When we as a population stop reacting to the spin and look at the real qualifications we`ll have credible politicians. So never then? People are going to vote Fine Gael this time because they are, on expensive advice no doubt, making the right noises. Enda Kenny smacks of BS. He is just the same as the rest and is not a different character at all! Then we look at Barrack Obama, a nicely packaged breath of fresh air for the Americans to just swallow up and be appeased. Real innovation, fresh thinking and passion wouldn`t be accepted by the people becuase it doesn`t come with a pretty bow. Cut the wages! I`m passionate about politics so passionate I`d nearly do it for free how many politicians would say that? Just think about it...if your heart and sole is in something you will do it for next to nothing if not you will put in as little effort as possible and milk it for all its worth...sound familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JasonBourne 2.0

I would have to agree with some of the above comments in so far as i detest Fianna Fail however there are no real strong leading candidates to consider as the next taoiseach, however if we take each party as a whole FG would be the strongest right now and will probably get my vote. The rainbow coalition that existed in the 80's in my opinion were the best government we have ever had. They spent most of the decade cleaning up ff's mess and were unjustly voted out months before we began to see the fruits of their labour.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Except that it will just get passed along to tenants. And what's the point in getting at builders now we have taken all their toxic loans....

no it wont as they build to many houses...

rents are falling across the board due to the flood of housing onto market

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

They spent most of the decade cleaning up ff's mess and were unjustly voted out months before we began to see the fruits of their labour.

Agree, and they will spend the next ten years cleaning up after FF's mess again.

Anyone but FF \ Green for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

To my eternal shame I have to admit that I voted FF the last time. More the candidate than for the party or Bertie. I will however never forgive myself for helping to elect the eternal waffler back into a position in which he has screwed the ordinary person because of either downright incompetance in recognising the problem or skullduggery in scratching the backs of developers etc that he was sucking up to.

As for the Greens, I think that if I voted for them I would not be over the moon eithr.

It's FG or Labour for me next time. People are saying that the other parties are all the same as FF. That is typical FF speak to encourage people not to change. The last FG / Labour govt under Bruton was a damn site better than Bertie's. Enda Kenny deseves a chance to show what he is made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

bring it on i say

I hope you are right, as each new day is unsweetened by the dread of yet another double-edged sword of Damocles. Are people, who are struggling to pay a mortgage for a roof over their heads, going to waken up tomorrow to discover that the new property tax is to be added to their miseries? The opinion in this article doesn’t inspire much confidence.
    Property tax could take some pressure off income earners

Given that there is an existing form of property tax on commercial property (local authority rates), any new property tax is likely to be restricted to residential property. In order to generate the required amount of revenue, it is likely that a new tax on residential property would apply to all private households and would not be limited to a taxation on landlords of rental properties.

There are approximately 1.5million private households in this country. If we assume that one third of those should be exempt from tax based on some form of de minimis rule to exclude households that cannot afford to pay the tax, then that would mean that approximately 1 million households could face a property tax.

If a target sum of €1 billion were to be extracted from this new property tax, then, on average, each household would have to pay €1,000 per annum.

While a property tax is certainly capable of generating revenue of this order, the difficulty is applying it in a way that is demonstrably equitable and fair. In order tobe truly fair,the tax should take account of the property value and the ability of the property owner to pay the tax.

It is quite possible, for example, that a retired person on a very limited income and with no other form of wealth could be living in quite a valuable property.On the other hand, a person on a very high income and material wealth could be living in a property of quite low value.

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS+FEATURES-qqqm=nav-qqqid=40916-qqqx=1.asp

To answer your first question, no. I have never voted for Fianna Fail and never will. The Greens did not live up to their promises long before the budget. The only option seems to be a Fine Gael/Labour government.

Will Fianna Fail ‘even make it to the next election?’ I think the sad fact of the matter is that an early election would create further economic chaos by distraction. We are caught between a rock and a hard place.

The Raven. wrote: »
    I hope you are right, as each new day is unsweetened by the dread of yet another double-edged sword of Damocles. Are people, who are struggling to pay a mortgage for a roof over their heads, going to waken up tomorrow to discover that the new property tax is to be added to their miseries? The opinion in this article doesn’t inspire much confidence.

the solution is simple, only have property taxes on more than one property owned by a household

that way the primary residence is not taxed and speculators and landlords get hit, so instead of investing money into housing bubble they put the money in deposit accounts or stocks or invest in business

investing in housing doesn't help the economy in long term nor creates much long term employment (as recently demonstrated by the collapse of the construction industry) compared to the same money going into investing into a company such as Intel via sale of stock or the money being invested into a bank where it can be used to make loans to small businesses etc

the solution is simple, only have property taxes on more than one property owned by a household

that way the primary residence is not taxed and speculators and landlords get hit, so instead of investing money into housing bubble they put the money in deposit accounts or stocks or invest in business

investing in housing doesn't help the economy in long term nor creates much long term employment (as recently demonstrated by the collapse of the construction industry) compared to the same money going into investing into a company such as Intel via sale of stock or the money being invested into a bank where it can be used to make loans to small businesses etc

I agree with you 100%. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My concern is that the government might include primary residences in this property tax. A home is a home, not a business. The property speculators and landlords deserve everything that is coming to them for causing this mess.

You have a valid point as regards the lack of long term employment in the construction industry. That creates a very unstable situation, whereas companies such as Intel are invaluable to the economy in the long term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The Raven. wrote: »
    To answer your first question, no. I have never voted for Fianna Fail and never will. The greens did not live up to their promises long before the budget. The only option seems to be a Fine Gael/Labour government.

I didnt vote Fianna Fail either but I did give Greens my 2nd preference as they were positioning themselves as part of the "opposition alliance" with FG / Lab.

Seeing as how they've completely sold out on every one of their policies and been so utterly consumed and corrupted by FF in the process they will NEVER get another vote from me again as in I'll not even give them a 8th or 9th preference.

miju wrote: »
    I didnt vote Fianna Fail either but I did give Greens my 2nd preference as they were positioning themselves as part of the "opposition alliance" with FG / Lab.

Seeing as how they've completely sold out on every one of their policies and been so utterly consumed and corrupted by FF in the process they will NEVER get another vote from me again as in I'll not even give them a 8th or 9th preference.

I have to admit that I too gave the Greens a second preference vote, thinking that they would help us in our uphill battle against ruthless developers, who have systematically wreaked havoc on our built and natural heritage throughout the country, and created the property crisis. However, they gave very little support on this, and seemed primarily concerned with climate change etc. That is all very well, but instead of using a positive approach through encouragement towards achieving their goals, they seemed hell-bent on the more negative approach through penalising stealth taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

dixiefly wrote: »
    To my eternal shame I have to admit that I voted FF the last time.

Don’t despair dixiefly, help is at hand.

When presented with a polling both, be it local, European or general election don’t put anything in the box that reads FF \ Green or local candidate 'who will side with FF'.

That’s what I will be doing, ABFF, anyone but Fianna Fail.

Oh and don’t forget when they knock on your door to tell them where to go :) colourful language allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

I won't be voting for those money hounding fianna fail ba***rds anyways.
    In my opinion all of them should be locked up and the key to be thrown away get some people into government that are actually bloody qualified to be ministers and I mean Minister for health should atleast have an idea what fitness is as opposed to the elephant in the position at the moment.

Lets face it our country is run by a bunch of money grabbing biggots who would see us all crumble just so they can get their overly inflated salaries.
    How about those F**Ks take a pay cut not like they need 300,000 euro a year on top of their expenses come on they are worse then the scum that are on the dole for their whole lives.

For example say if I worked in a petrol station and I came in talked aload of bull and looked for more holidays then teachers I would be sacked.
    Why are the politicians getting away with it??????? They do less work then a full time student does.

Below is for all the people who complain about how teachers get this and that.

Teachers get those holidays because 1. They work with kids (Anyone who works with kids I applaud you for the patience you show because I myself wasnt a model student and understand now what it must be like)
    Teachers worked and still work damn hard to get the education to become a teacher and to mould children into decent adults
    And finally If teachers didnt get those holidays they would burn out and lose it.

The only reason most politicians might burn out and lose it is because they are for the most part Fat F***ers that couldnt do an honest days work because they are too god damned lazy.

Now yes I have generalized a few things
    1. Some politicans do great work and I think its brilliant that said persons are trying to get into office.
    2. No I don't think all politicans are evil though most are
    3.Get Fianna Fail out because they are the reason this country is in such a dire state of affairs.

I would like to hear peoples views on this from both sides and am waiting to see them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I'd vote FG. I'd have to think long and hard about giving a preference vote to labour or the greens, would be worried they'd go into power with FF again.

The budget wouldn't make me change my mind on who to vote for, the complete lack of a coherent sensible economic policy over the last few years meant my mind had already been made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

zootroid wrote: »
    I'd vote FG. I'd have to think long and hard about giving a preference vote to labour or the greens, would be worried they'd go into power with FF again.

The budget wouldn't make me change my mind on who to vote for, the complete lack of a coherent sensible economic policy over the last few years meant my mind had already been made up.

Your one of the rare few with a brain:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement