Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Movie Ever? Suggestions...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,413 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Big Lebowski
    Twelve Angry Men
    The Godfather 1 and 2
    The Usual Suspects
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Dark Knight
    Unforgiven
    Fight Club
    The Matrix
    Pulp Fiction
    The Third Man
    Once Upon a time in America
    Batman Begins
    Memento

And many, many more but they are what come to mind right now. No doubt about the first four in my mind as the best four but not necessarily in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Midnight Express

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Date Movie
    Meet the Spartans

All the classics;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

how has this pointless thread not been locked yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Doom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

City of God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Oldboy

Everybody has their own unique tastes, but for me that is by far the greatest movie ever made...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Schindler's List not gotten a mention yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

tman wrote: »
    Oldboy

Everybody has their own unique tastes, but for me that is by far the greatest movie ever made...
    That'd be up there on my list too. Amazing film.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

American Psycho is my favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Big Lebowski
    Magnolia
    Dumb and Dumber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

my top ten would be
    1.goodfellas
    2.scarface
    3.saving private ryan
    4.godfather
    5.die hard
    6.forest gump
    7.platoon
    8.heat
    9.la confidential
    10.the fugitive

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

OFF THE RECORD ON THE QT AND VERY HUSH HUSH
    (LA Confidential 1997)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Because it's not that great of a film. It's good...but it doesn't belong in any kind of top ten list.

Can you give us 10 better films in your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I can indeed.

The Sting.
    The Godfather.
    Pappillion.
    The Good the bad and the Ugly
    Schindler's List
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Godfather Part 2
    12 Angry Men

All of those films are better than the shawshank redemption. I'll give you another ten if you want.

I can indeed.

The Sting.
    The Godfather.
    Pappillion.
    The Good the bad and the Ugly
    Schindler's List
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Godfather Part 2
    12 Angry Men

All of those films are better than the shawshank redemption. I'll give you another ten if you want.

Maybe this should be added to your post (IMO) Talk about picking the obvious. Did you look up a top ten movie list in empire.

Ok. Films from your list that are not better IMO

The good the bad the ugly
    The silence of the lambs
    Saving Private Ryan

while still good movies they dont surpass shawshank in my opinion.

Some of the others would be in the same league

And you can come up with another 100 movies if you like, you will still be wrong:P IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's all about opinions mate. I think Shawshank Redemption is a great popcorn film, but imo it's just too predictable as a "favourite film of all time" for people and really doesn't warrant such a tag.

Personally, I can't believe anybody would think that Shawshank Redemption is better than the good, the bad and the ugly. Saving Private Ryan has its flaws but is still a superior picture.

But this is what movies discussion is all about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good to see films like Shawshank Redemption conjuring up a bit of a debate. I'd also think it is 'overrated' - it is overly sentimental and manipulative (voiceover in particular is like getting hit in the face with a mallet). That isn't to say its a bad film - I really do like it, wouldn't be anywhere near my top ten mind but it is a highly enjoyable film with some great moments.

Discussions about 'best movie ever' shouldn't just be about listing films (and I'm glad the charter points that out). Everyone will have their own opinions at the end of the day. There isn't a best film ever made, everyone just has their favourites (indeed there are films in my top ten I would readily admit aren't perfect, but I adore them anyway). And that makes film debate more interesting. There are going to be fans and haters of pretty much every film out there, and it is good to hear both voices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Fight Club
    3. The Godfather
    4. American Beauty
    5. American History X

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

it has got to be pulp fiction! superb movie in every single way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I can't pick the best ever but here are a few I thought were pretty good. In no particular order.

Jean de Floret.
    Spiderman 2.
    White heat.
    Raging bull.
    The pianist
    The first Jason Bourne movie.
    The shining.
    Psycho (the original).

Lots more I can't think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JasonBourne 2.0

Forgot to mention this one: A beautiful mind. An absolute classic of a movie. Just goes to show you how flawed the academy awards are considering Denzel Washington for his "You shot me in the ass" performance in Training day beat Russell Crowe's outstanding performance at the oscars. Note: i still like Training day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

I see no one has mentioned this one yet (and Im usually on my own with it) but;

The Talented Mr. Ripley.

I just think its amazing, fascinating, beautifully shot, brilliantly scripted, and very under-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JasonBourne 2.0

Yeah love that film aswell and anything with matt damon in it really as you can probably guess from my user name. There is also a decent follow up called Ripleys Game with John Malkovich as Ripley which i seen a few years ago, you should check it out, severley under rated film. I think the films are based on a series of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

Somehow I missed Ripley's Game when it came out, and I never bothered with it because I heard it was a very poor "sequel" so to speak, and I thought it might just ruin the original for me! But might as well check it out, as Malkovitz rarely gets it wrong...

It's all about opinions mate. I think Shawshank Redemption is a great popcorn film, but imo it's just too predictable as a "favourite film of all time" for people and really doesn't warrant such a tag.

Personally, I can't believe anybody would think that Shawshank Redemption is better than the good, the bad and the ugly. Saving Private Ryan has its flaws but is still a superior picture.

But this is what movies discussion is all about.

That is my point. You cant just come in saying people who say shawshank is their favourite movie deserve a smack in the face. Its all about opinions mate. That is why i said use the IMO

At the end of the day, saying one film is better than the other is redundant . But please dont attack other peoples opinions in such an aggressive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rochie16

Agreed on the whole Shawshank issue. Terribly over-rated.

My top 10

True Romance
    The Departed
    Miller's Crossing
    Raging Bull
    Lord of the Rings
    No Country For Old Men
    Fargo
    Pulp Fiction
    Goodfellas
    Memento

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    Remarkably enjoyable piece of crap that :)

It is rather fun, much like Frankenfish which to this day remains one of the most enjoyable films ever.

On a completely different note, I just gave Uwe Boll 33 euros of mine to help fund his next film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It is rather fun, much like Frankenfish which to this day remains one of the most enjoyable films ever.

I have yet to see a better film about killer fish (that can walk on land).
    Shot by a house!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement