Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Movie Ever? Suggestions...

Options

Comments

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have yet to see a better film about killer fish (that can walk on land).
    Shot by a house!

So, so many great scenes in it. It offers one of the greatest joys a film can, it surprises you with its inventiveness and use of age old cliches. Speaking of surprises, I'm in the midst of watching Thrill Seekers a rather decent Casper Van Dien sci fi epic which goes against conventions int a number of scenes and remains far more watchable than it ever should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

rochie16 wrote: »
    Agreed on the whole Shawshank issue. Terribly over-rated.

My top 10

True Romance
    The Departed
    Miller's Crossing
    Raging Bull
    Lord of the Rings
    No Country For Old Men
    Fargo
    Pulp Fiction
    Goodfellas
    Memento

A lot of descent movies there but for me, The Departed wouldnt get any where near the top movies. A very disjointed and at times badly acted movie. Now the original asian movie (infernal affairs) would make my all time favorite list. Sequels are class aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭JCos

Loads of people seem to still not have copped on that Scarface is actually a bit ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

So is this thread about peoples favourite movies or the greatest movie ever? Because to me one of those is a very boring pointless thread (the former) and one is an interesting debate that could throw up a lot of good discussion.

Personally I think when you talk about the greatest film ever it needs to hit all the bases. It needs to be historically significant (i.e. it represented something new or fresh that helped with the development of cinema), it needs to be technically impeccable, well acted, written and directed, entertaining enough to watch multiple times and deep enough that something meaningful can be taken from it and you can continue to find new things on multiple viewings. I also feel that it should be a film that has had a large enough impact in that its popularity has (or will) endure for decades and that is why I think a discussion of the greatest movie ever will be rationally biased towards older films.

For me the one that ticks all of them boxes is Citizen Kane, absolute masterpiece. Vertigo, The Rules of the Game, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thieves and the Godfather would all be up there as well for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

The Matrix surely! just my preference though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Bandit883

:D
    flanree wrote: »
    fight club
    i agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Favourite film would be Kes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dumby

aint no such thing as best movie ever sorry buds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

For me the best movie ever would be The Lord of the Rings.i know this is a trilogy but one can also watch it back to back as one movie!This movie has everything in it that makes it great.Firstly the actors and actress in the movie are extremely talanted and there wasnt one moment in the movie where i saw bad acting or wasnt convinced by a charactor!

The scenery/sets and filming was first class from the mines of moria,the shire,edoras...etc all made me believe i wasnt watching a movie and actors but real places and people.

The music score was fantastic,every tune fitted perfectly with every scene from the danger of the mines of moria,the tranquility of the shire or the battle at helms deep.

Overall the films had the right amount of action,fantasy,comedy,romance and thrills to keep me glued to the screen the whole time and i can watch again and again and this is why to me the Lord of the Rings is the best movie ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

12 Monkeys...love everything about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

dumby wrote: »

absolutly..there are only favourite movies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

a matter of life and death, or The life and death of colonel blimp

i can't decide between the two.. blimp is longer so there's more awesome to go around but a matter of life and death is just so ****ing special.

oh wow we got us a serious Powell and Pressburger fan.

I like those two films aswell. So I salute you good sir!

My current personal favourite though (and has been for a while now) is All That Jazz by Bob Fosse

paulieeye wrote: »
    absolutly..there are only favourite movies

exactly

it's a mini internet gripe of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

no idea. The following were v good though:

stardust
    fight club
    american beauty
    old boy
    x men films
    once upon a time in america
    the proposition
    the dark knight
    watchmen
    taxi driver
    step brothers

pwd wrote: »
    no idea. The following were v good though:

stardust
    fight club
    american beauty
    old boy
    x men films
    the proposition
    the dark knight
    watchmen
    taxi driver
    step brothers

I second one of xmen, watchmen or step brothers for the greatest movie ever made.

Eh no not really:p

watchmen was good

watchmen was ****e

I guess we disagree!

watchmen was good

So was xmen and step brothers but do we really need another thread were people just list random films they thought was good?

To be honest such threads have gotten out of hand on here recently....every second thread seems to boil down to people listing 8 or 9 films they thought were decent with absolutely no discussion. Call it what you will "recommend me a film", "greatest film ever", "what have you watched recently", "films you didnt get", "overrated films"....it all just boils down to the same pointless ****e and add's needless clutter to the board.

All imvho of course;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Certainly to suggest that this is the "greatest" movie ever made is a bit much, but my favorite movie is A L I E N
    The reasons I would put forward for this are as follows

The marriage of design between the worldly (big spaceship, spacesuits, switches, shuttles etc) versus the otherworldy (alien ship, the alien itself, the planetoid etc)
    Jerry Goldsmith's lyrical and menacing score.
    The excellent ensemble cast and screenplay (Truckers in Space)
    The fact that the special effects do not overwhelm the plot.
    Ridley Scott's direction is immaculate (the sets, the cuts, the atmosphere)
    That it was one of (if not the first) 1st films to introduce a 4th Act.
    I'm too young to have seen it in cinema's but I imagine how terrifying it would have been to watch at the time.

• Advertisement

I guess we disagree!

yes

yes we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes their is as the question essentially is "what do you think the best film ever is" and what the question is really is what film have you enjoyed most or what film had the most impact on you and for me the best film ever made is the Shawshank Redemption by an absolute mile! Sit down with any large group of people and it's the one film that's guarenteed to get mentioned, it's so moving and so inspiratonal and theirs absolutely no other film like it!

My top 20

1. The Shawshank Redemption
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Braveheart
    4. Terminator 2
    5. The Terminator
    6. The Usual suspects
    7. Star Wars (original trillogy)
    8. Kill Bill (Vol 1)
    9. Shindlers list
    10. Gladiator
    11. Heat
    12 Face/Off
    13. Memento
    14. American History X
    15. Aliens
    16. The Matrix
    17. Casablanca
    18. Goodfellas
    19. Scarface
    20. Dumb and Dumber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Babybing wrote: »
    I second one of xmen, watchmen or step brothers for the greatest movie ever made.

Eh no not really:p
    Just for a split second, I was delighted someone had agreed with, not just one or two, but ALL of less popular selections

I agree with basing selections on which films entertained me the most

Watchmen was really very good. If it was based on any other graphic novel people would be far more positive about it. I was surprised how effective a translation from the graphic novel, dispite the changed ending.
    Everyone knows Alan Moore takes great exception to his comics being made into films, and I respect that he has the courage of his convictions. I disagree with him though. Sure you can do things in comics that you can't do in other media. But can you do sh!t cool special effects in comics? No. The 3d bit at the end of The Black Dossier doesn't count. (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a remarkably bad film incidentally. I was surprised how good the comics were when I read them after seeing it).

I was surprised how effective a translation from the graphic novel, dispite the changed ending.

Personnally I think its a really poor adaptation of Watchmen, but if you want a great rollercoaster ride through the old testament there is nothing better out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

why hasnt anybody mentioned Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? :D

what an epic movie... it never gets old. an awesome piece of filmmaking and directing from the past 20 years. some impressive action scenes, great acting, story, locations. the banther between Connery and Ford was great.

Raiders of the Lost Ark would be well up there as well. :D

Movie-Poster-Indiana-Jones-and-the-The-Last-Crusade.jpg

tn2_indiana_jones_and_the_last_crusade_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

muletide wrote: »
    Either, Life of Brian or Shawshank - It depends what mood I am in.

/smack, smack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

pulp fiction
    die hard
    godfather 2
    the exorcist
    the remains of the day ( an underated classic i believe )
    star wars
    raiders of the lost ark
    the terminator
    true romance
    lord of the rings
    midnight run
    predator
    back to the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

GodFather Trilogy
    Bourne Films (Trilogy)
    Gladiator
    Ben Hur
    ShawShank
    Rocky I
    The Passion of Christ - Mel Gibsons film
    All Matrix films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

All of the above must be Empire magazine readers :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

Robocop. great movie too. would be in my top 20 anyway

robocop-431x300.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement