Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gamestop Top 300 games to trade in for €30

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

amacachi wrote: »
    I had a little over €300 the other day, it was £284.60. :D :P Wouldn't say there's an awfully massive amount of credit flying around, it will mostly have been spent quickly, I'm sure everyone did their homework beforehand. :D :P

But why would you spend it quickly? I'd either leave it hanging around picking up games I wanted as they came out, try sell the credit or buy PS3's and try sell them on adverts as some have been doing.

With a few of them £500 credits in hand he'll probably be ok for the PS4 and Xbox 720 by the time they come out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Got €270 altogether. Not bad considering I only started this 2 days ago. Bought the 60gb hard drive kit for the 360, got €210 credit left. Gonna pick up a wii, but don't have any credit left for wii fit + extras. They may have to come out of my own pocket, nooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peterdoherty

But why would you spend it quickly? I'd either leave it hanging around picking up games I wanted as they came out, try sell the credit or buy PS3's and try sell them on adverts as some have been doing.

With a few of them £500 credits in hand he'll probably be ok for the PS4 and Xbox 720 by the time they come out!

I dont buy games. Besides GS are way overpriced for games (even compared to others on the high st in NI, nevermind the net)

With the wheeling & dealing I've basically got back over 3x what I invested.

Lets just say there was a shortage of DSi's for a week or so in GS Northern Ireland for a reason!!!

Got €270 altogether. Not bad considering I only started this 2 days ago. Bought the 60gb hard drive kit for the 360, got €210 credit left. Gonna pick up a wii, but don't have any credit left for wii fit + extras. They may have to come out of my own pocket, nooooooooooo

Still 2 days. Could try the PSP games again. Would appreciate if anyone could post any last minute bargains they find. Feel like i've been robbed for only just hearing about this. Ironic I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

have bought & sold on to cash it in..............and make a tidy sum
    Tempted to sell the PS3 to do the same.

I bought a PS3. :) Tempted to sell it on though, very disappointed.
    On another note I was going to do some more trading in to get some games on the cheap, but I can't believe how dear Gamestop are on their used games.

• Advertisement

Still 2 days. Could try the PSP games again. Would appreciate if anyone could post any last minute bargains they find. Feel like i've been robbed for only just hearing about this. Ironic I know

Whereabouts are you? There's a good few games on the list available in Argos up north at 2 for £30, I've a list of the ones I came across somewhere if ya want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peterdoherty

Whereabouts are you? There's a good few games on the list available in Argos up north at 2 for £30, I've a list of the ones I came across somewhere if ya want.
    HMV also have 2 for £30 on some of the wii games on the list like argos

In Dublin so stuck to whats down here. Theres a couple on the 2 for 40 but not much else. Even Bully was €25 in HMV on Grafton today with a 2 for €40 with a couple of the others. Would be interesting to see the charts for the PSP at the moment! Like to try them again tomorrow but risky now they've apparently taken some off the list in places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Just seen this thread last night and have 5 of the games on the list. Have loads more games that aren't played anymore so gonna bring them in and see what i get for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Wonder how much turnover Gamestop has created by running this offer?
    Way more I'd say by running then not running.
    Prices weren't great beforehand.
    More sales, more turnover, more profits for them (down the road).
    Must have been a good deal for them, also added to sales in other shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd say HMV did better out of it than Gamestop did!

I can see most of it being a success for Gamestop, but I seriously think they'll have trouble getting rid of all those copies of Bully on the Wii, and Rainbow 6 and Brothers in Arms on the PSP, without making a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I bet they going to bundle them with console deals. Wii+extra controller+10 copies of Bully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Dyaso

was talking to gamestop employees today and apparantly the deal ends tomorrow MORNING!!!

i asked what profit they would make off such a deal and they said it wasnt do much profit the were after, with hmv getting in on the act of trade in's gamestops wanted to get the confidence back in gamers to trade with them.... words from gamestop employers so have your own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Dyaso wrote: »
    .. with hmv getting in on the act of trade in's gamestops wanted to get the confidence back in gamers to trade with them.....

Makes sense when you read how much of Gamestop's business is in secondhand games!

http://kotaku.com/5231896/gamestop-still-utterly-reliant-on-used-game-sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

For anyone in Galway:

HMV had one copy of bratz the movie on the wii left for €12.99, will get you €30.

Its on the back wall, down low, towards the left, With its spine facing you.

Gamestop also have dead space(ps3) for €19.99 pre owned in galway too, which is on the €30 list i believe. :pac:

Deal Ends today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Dyaso wrote: »
    was talking to gamestop employees today and apparantly the deal ends tomorrow MORNING!!!

i asked what profit they would make off such a deal and they said it wasnt do much profit the were after, with hmv getting in on the act of trade in's gamestops wanted to get the confidence back in gamers to trade with them.... words from gamestop employers so have your own opinion.

well they certainly havent improved my experience!! I built up roughly €300 of credit through this offer, to date i have been refunded (in cash) €210 of that due to consoles and game discs not working.. never buying anything there ever again!!

PS they are the most expensive place to buy games, second hand GTA IV on the 360 is 34 euro but its 29.99 in most stores new!

Max Power1 wrote: »
    well they certainly havent improved my experience!! I built up roughly €300 of credit through this offer, to date i have been refunded (in cash) €210 of that due to consoles and game discs not working.. never buying anything there ever again!!

PS they are the most expensive place to buy games, second hand GTA IV on the 360 is 34 euro but its 29.99 in most stores new!

What went wrong?

I couldn't believe the price of second hand games in there when I went in the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

That's the whole reason they stand to make a profit from this offer, they charge ludicrous prices for pre-played! Modern Warfare for €35 whereas it's €25 in Smyths. GTA IV €25 in Smyths etc. Plus for a recent enough release that comes in pre-played you're still lookin at about €50, second hand!!

What went wrong?

I couldn't believe the price of second hand games in there when I went in the other day.

First 360 i got went RROD as soon as i went home, brought it back same day for an exchange. That worked for a week until going the same way - refund €180

GTA IV for 360 worked for about 15-20 mins and then i would get disc read errors, and it wouldnt install to teh hard drive due to teh disc being unreadable. - refund €35

The staff were nice, apologetic et al, but i will never shop in gamestop again. How could 2 360's from teh same store fail within a week?? They musnt vet them after trade ins i'd reckon.

First 360 i got went RROD as soon as i went home, brought it back same day for an exchange. That worked for a week until going the same way - refund €180

GTA IV for 360 worked for about 15-20 mins and then i would get disc read errors, and it wouldnt install to teh hard drive due to teh disc being unreadable. - refund €35

The staff were nice, apologetic et al, but i will never shop in gamestop again. How could 2 360's from teh same store fail within a week?? They musnt vet them after trade ins i'd reckon.

Where they brand new XBox 360s? Hope ya don't take offence but I find that very, very hard to believe.

Anyway, does that mean you have spare credit going on a card? Since ya don't want to shop in Gamestop I'll take it off your hands. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Was going to pick up Killzone2 with my left over credit, €55 used in gamestop :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Was going to pick up Killzone2 with my left over credit, €55 used in gamestop :eek:

Its 50e used in xtravision and 45e (i think) in Smyths used.
    Ya I got 7 games today spent 100e and got 210e in credit. I got good deals in Game, got Deal or no Deal on DS used for 7e and got 30e credit for it :D

HMV is good for games 2 for 40e on Wii and DS.

My friend got the last copy of brats on Wii in HMV for 13e.

Are they secondhand consoles you got, unluckly getting two in a row. RROD was the main reason I got rid of my Xbox and got a PS3.

It's not Gamestops fault they went, do you have it flat or stood up and is it well ventilated ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

They test the 360s. If they work in store, they take them in. You hardly expect them to sit down and have a few marathon sessions on it to make sure they're up to scratch, in all fairness.

Yes they were second hand..

A basic switch on would see the first one RROD straight away - a 30 second test! The second one required some gameplay so that happening on its own would be understandable but my annoyance is a culmination of everything not working!

Oh and i tried the second one flat, vertical, 45 degree angle even (read it on the net), beside a fan.. tried everything even clearing the hard drive cache but all to no avail!

@ amacachi - They gave me a cash refund, they wanted to give store credit - i wouldnt accept that because i have vowed to never shop there again..

Yes they were second hand..
    You were unlucky, the RROD issue was the main reason I got rid of my console and got a PS3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Great offer and great fun too!

Ended up with...

A DSi for 95 euro
    An Xbox360 Resi 5 edition for 114euro (traded in one of my own games too)
    635 in credit for 190 (traded in 5 of my own games)

I also am going to be selling my old Xbox Elite and brand new 120 gb hard drive along with some games for about 200.

Bully, Bratz, and Viva Pinata did most of the damage.

Had ordered 3 Bioshock and 3 of some random Wii game for a total of 80 euro. Would have gotten 180 for them but they all arrived this morning :( Still, was able to trade Bioshock for 23 in HMV this morning so not all bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sparkinlarkin

I built up 270euro by selling a load of games that I had on the list. I don't really wanna have that much credit though and I'm stuck for money so I'd prefer to turn the credit into some sort of money. I'm thinking of either selling the credit to someone or else buyin a console and selling it on. What do ye think I should do?

Advertisement