Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Ivy be Split?

Options
  • 11-04-2009 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Another request. :o

I have a large pot which had a mixture of plants, most of which have died off, the ivy however has thrived, but is now much too big to add anything else. Can I split the ivy, cut the root in half as such?

I want to empty the pot, salvage what I can, and add some more plants. These are for a balcony.

Would appreciate some advice, Google brings me to Ivy League Football!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Another request. :o

I have a large pot which had a mixture of plants, most of which have died off, the ivy however has thrived, but is now much too big to add anything else. Can I split the ivy, cut the root in half as such?

I want to empty the pot, salvage what I can, and add some more plants. These are for a balcony.

Would appreciate some advice, Google brings me to Ivy League Football!

Why not try an alternative but moire interesting trailing plant to Ivy, eg, Vinca (Periwinkle) available in 4 forms/varieties (Vinca Major and Vinca Minor) in regular green or variagated. Major has a large leaf, whereas Minor has a small leaf, both produce interesting purple flowers but otherwise are easy to maintain in pots etc.

Another interesting evergreen trailer with plenty of white blooms is Bacopa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks for the reply, great information, but I need to know if the plant will survive if I cut the root in half.

I have several half dead/half alive pots to rejuvenate for a friend. The ivy is really the only thing thriving in some of them, its taking up 75% of the space in the pots. If they were mine I would just re-plant the ivy elsewhere, but I was hoping to recycle them in these new arrangements, if it is possible to thin it out.

Advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Ivy is very easy from cuttings or layering if you want to go that route, personally, I too would be a member of the "ditch the ivy " club. If you like the ivy form you could get ivy leaf pelargoniums which will also give you flowers and are quite tough, to boot. You cannot split ivy roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

bmaxi wrote: »
    You cannot split ivy roots.

Cheers, that's what I needed to know. I will plant them up separately.

Advertisement