Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving up and gaining weight

Options
  • 11-04-2009 7:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on how to give up without gaining weight! is it impossible.?
    I am getting married this summer, and hate being a smoker. I don't my day to be ruined by smoking outside the church etc. I am so ready to give up, and have done so before, until the weight gain :( then i light up again.
    the dress is altered to fit me... so I cant afford to gain weight. But i really want to!

Last time.. i ran a mile or so in the evenings to burn off the calories that i wasnt burning by smoking. But i still gained weight ( not much).

is there any natural appetite suppressant that i dont know off? Or any suggestions at all?????
    I have the will power to do it........

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

kt09 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on how to give up without gaining weight! is it impossible.?
    I am getting married this summer, and hate being a smoker. I don't my day to be ruined by smoking outside the church etc. I am so ready to give up, and have done so before, until the weight gain :( then i light up again.
    the dress is altered to fit me... so I cant afford to gain weight. But i really want to!

Last time.. i ran a mile or so in the evenings to burn off the calories that i wasnt burning by smoking. But i still gained weight ( not much).

is there any natural appetite suppressant that i dont know off? Or any suggestions at all?????

thanks in advance!

1) Give up on the day or shortly before - in which case you'll gain no weight

2) Read Allen Carrs book or go to the seminar (a bit more expensive but quicker and they give a money back guarentee). He points out that the reason for gaining weight is that the withdrawal symptoms for nicotine are like hunger pangs. And that the psychological addiction (which is the main part of the whole problem) continues long after the nicotine has left the body. The attempt to quell the psychological pangs involve food too.

Solve the root problem (psychological addiction) and you won't have any hunger pangs and won't stuff yourself with food = no weight gain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Hi,

thanks in advance!
    ? Smoking doesn't burn any calories. Some people gain weight because they snack alot to keep their minds off smoking. There is no inherent reason you would gain weight when you quit smoking.

Having tea and chewing gum instead of snacking to keep your mind off the fags will see you right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 kt09

Our body is supposed to burn off about 200 calories a day ( dealing with all the chemicals we breath in) I read that somewhere in my research :) ... could be complete rubbish.. but ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

You will only put on weight when you give up cigarettes if you increase the amount of food you eat.

I gave up cigarettes and started a diet on the same day and I lost two stone!

Have a read of the Champix threads here and see what you think about using it.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 kt09

Thanks,
    yes I tried hypnosis a year ago. But I dont think I was hypnotised. I was relaxed, but knew exactly what was going on and didnt feel any different after it. Maybe I just wasnt ready?
    I think i'll just give them up and increase the running :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Thanks,
    yes I tried hypnosis a year ago. But I dont think I was hypnotised. I was relaxed, but knew exactly what was going on and didnt feel any different after it. Maybe I just wasnt ready?
    I think i'll just give them up and increase the running :)
    Knock over to the fitness forum for info on losing weight. Running is boring & not very good for weight control the way most people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 starchild27

I quit smoking over a year and a half ago. I had smoked for a number of years previous to that. I would suggest cold turkey for anyone who wants to give up by the way - the best method there is in my humble opinion. Anyway, try to just drink more fluids instead of snacking. Always have a glass of water nearby. Drinking more water will clean out your system and help you loose weight

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

nicotine is a appetite supressant- how many times have I sacrificed buying lunch for a packet of fags....way too many...and I didnt even feel hungry after!

Your appetite will get out of control at first but will regulate itself later...its what you do in the mean time - ignore the hunger, or eat and then burn it off later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Hey all

I quit 3 weeks ago and all going well. I only have very mild cravings left.
    However, my appetite has literally tripled. I have turned the chewing gum and lollipops toward quelling my hunger, but it has been unsuccessful.

So im thinking diet pills.
    What are peoples thoughts on these and do I need a prescription for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barkingmadlolly

Krieg wrote: »
    Hey all

I quit 3 weeks ago and all going well. I only have very mild cravings left.
    However, my appetite has literally tripled. I have turned the chewing gum and lollipops toward quelling my hunger, but it has been unsuccessful.

So im thinking diet pills.
    What are peoples thoughts on these and do I need a prescription for them?

Would STRONGLY suggest you steer clear, from experience its a bad idea. Im also quitting smoking atm and at Weightwatchers, if you are concerned about weight gain, I would suggest you try there. Not only will it help you loose weight but you do get support there from people going through exactly the same thing as you which makes all the difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement