Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT thottled me, 2 days before monthly cycle ends. No Internet for 30 days now

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

vibe666 wrote: »
    how is it helpful for you to tell a BT customer (in a BT thread) to check their stats on the eircom website? :confused:

The info you require is in the 4th post of the Broadband FAQ sticky post at the top of the broadband forum (for future reference). it's currently listed as 'IOL' (BT broadbands previous name), but to keep things simple, here it is: http://broadband.iol.ie/usage

just log in with your broadband username and password (the one you entered into the router at set up, or possibly on your documentation they sent you at set up).

fair enough point,it did not seem worthwile starting a new thread for Eircom as within a few euro,s each equivilant package are more or less the same across most isp,s and it seems all will sign up to the new download rules I and other posters mentioned earlior in the thread.

you do make a valid point its just in the coming months i think the BT thread will be merged under isp either way.I dont mind if my other two comments are removed by a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Selkies

Unfortunately what they are doing is legal, incredibly misleading and unethical but legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just reading this thread i thought i'd look for a stats page..
    http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/
    I have an unlimited account and i logged in to find my April download at 51gb and a big banner saying my monthly limit had been exceeded..so the monthly limit on an unlimited account is currently less than 50gb...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm at 35 gigs on my "unlimited" account. No warning yet though. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Just found out I've been throttled. They cant tell me for how long it will last, pain in the ass. 105g this month.

Cant seem to figure out from post if its 100gb per calender month, or 30 days rolling?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

How do you tell if you're throttled?

Just found out I've been throttled. They cant tell me for how long it will last, pain in the ass. 105g this month.

Cant seem to figure out from post if its 100gb per calender month, or 30 days rolling?

Rolling, meaning things don't just reset to zero on say May 1st. I think 60-80GB is the max for "unlimited" :rolleyes:

100GB seems to be flagging the system...also remember, is download AND upload combined.

I'm at 35 gigs on my "unlimited" account. No warning yet though. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

I too have been watching, last month i had 60GB, no bad things happened thus far.

Selkies wrote: »
    Unfortunately what they are doing is legal, incredibly misleading and unethical but legal.

It should be stopped, it's blantant mis-selling a product! :mad:
    Any normal persons definition of "unlimited" is download or upload as much as you want...Terrabytes if ya want. What they are doing is false advertising to try rope people in.

They are selling the product to us as unlimited to get people to sign up, but when people take advantage of that and do download heavily they get capped :rolleyes:

It's not right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Rolling, meaning things don't just reset to zero on say May 1st. I think 60-80GB is the max for "unlimited"

100GB seems to be flagging the system...also remember, is download AND upload combined.

Ah jeasus, any way to find out how much you've done in 30 rolling days rather than just a calender month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

It should be stopped, it's blantant mis-selling a product! :mad:
    Any normal persons definition of "unlimited" is download or upload as much as you want...Terrabytes if ya want. What they are doing is false advertising to try rope people in.

They are selling the product to us as unlimited to get people to sign up, but when people take advantage of that and do download heavily they get capped :rolleyes:

It's not right!

As stated also in the advertising of the product and contracts , even stated by Cabaal here the product is subject to fair usage. Its not mis-selling as they have stated this clause. Just read the fine print of what you sign and listen to the adverts.
    Nearly all companies do this, car adverts will tell you the lowest price but show you the most expensive car. This is not heralded by people screaming "liars". They advised of the FUP and you signed for this. Average residential upload/download is in or around 20gb - 30 gb per month, this is the reading for term "fair", above that would be considered heavy use and even more so some ISP's fair use wouldnt take effect until the 200gb or above mark. This is 10 times the average use in Ireland and in anyones terms that is beyond fair.
    All terms and conditions should be read and understood when your signing for a subscription to anything, if you dont understand or read these you certainly dont have grounds to cry foul because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ah jeasus, any way to find out how much you've done in 30 rolling days rather than just a calender month?

You have to pretty much install bandwidth monitoring software all PCs/Laptops that are using your broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Im currently on 1meg with eircom (fastest I could get where I am) with a cap of 10gb but I have been over cap every month since I got the connection. Normally its around 30gb a month (was higher in the first few months obviously) and have never been billed extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The limit has taken another significant drop now..on my unlimited account i'm at 26gb at the moment and i have exceeded my monthly download allowance appearantly..
    http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

I heard from an employee of eircom that they dont even have the technology in place to tell how much someone has downloaded, and that there is no way anyone can be charged, or trottled for that matter,

can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

r_obric wrote: »
    I heard from an employee of eircom that they dont even have the technology in place to tell how much someone has downloaded, and that there is no way anyone can be charged, or trottled for that matter,

can anyone confirm this?

lol bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

lol bullsh1t

is that you think its bull, you know its bull or you like to think that its bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The technology exists, eircom have it and use it, and they know how much each customer has downloaded and uploaded.

Whoever told you that they don't, was either lying, or an idiot.

Advertisement