Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe storms near Augusta GA

Options
  • 11-04-2009 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭

Friday was an active severe weather day across northern Georgia as well as parts of AL, TN and SC. I understand from storm reports that a tornado hit quite close to the site of the Masters Golf tournament at about 10 pm local time Friday evening. As it is still pre-dawn in that part of the world (and midnight here) there is not a lot of information. Just a heads up then, to those who are not golf fans and might not otherwise tune in the golf coverage when they start, there could be some visual evidence of severe weather on the golf course, or nearby. Otherwise, check the news for daylight reports. I've gathered that there were three fatalities in Tennessee from one storm, and an unknown number in Georgia and South Carolina from the overnight storms. This follows a number of fatalities Thursday in western Arkansas.

There may be a few more showers for the golf coverage today (assuming the course is playable) but most of the severe activity has dissipated as the low is tracking rapidly east and out into the Atlantic.

The situation in Oklahoma is also quite nasty for a different reason, wildfires due to prolonged drought are whipping through heavily populated suburban areas near Oklahoma City, with winds gusting to 50 mph in the wake of the severe storms (which didn't form until the front had passed this region).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Terrible news about the casualties MTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, as these things go, the season has not been too severe (yet) ... I don't have the stats at hand but I think in the average severe weather season in the USA, about a hundred deaths can be expected, and in a bad year it gets up closer to two or three hundred, sometimes more. So far this season I don't think the total is much more than ten.

So far, the unusual cold and snow cover in the northern plains has pushed the storm track closer to the Gulf of Mexico most of the time, and historically this is not the most active tornado track, it favours more of the standard severe thunderstorm and heavy rain outbreaks. The part of the country that is normally heating up and starting to see tornado outbreaks (KS-MO-IA-IL) has been quite cool and wet so far. This probably just means that May will be a very active month in "tornado alley."

They ended up having some really nice weather at Augusta for the weekend, although another storm moved in that way today (Monday).

Advertisement