Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training advice for newbie pleaseeee

• 11-04-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm only new to the running. I just started training about 5 weeks ago. I can run approx 4k in 25-30 mins. I run every second to third day. I had thought about running the Flora mini marathon, but if I don't get my stamina/distance up I think that's going to be really ambitious.

I would really appreciate some advice about what I should be doing to improve. Btw I can just about run the 4k, I feels like its the last steps left in me when I get to the end. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Welcome to the mad world of running satcie. You'll find that, whatever distance you run, you think you couldn't run another step :)

For now, don't concern yourself with how fast/slow you are. For a beginner, running 30 minutes is a milestone achievement - well done. Now you have to increase that in small increments. Make your longest run 35mins next week, 40 the next for example. To do this you may need to slow down (yes, you will no doubt say you are slow already, but it doesn't matter) or even take walk breaks.

Before you know it you'll be running for an hour and more. Only then do you need to start thinking about your speed.

And do all the sensible things like wearing proper running shoes, rest & recovery and healthy eating. Oh, and I'd enter the mini-marathon if I were you. It'll be a focus for you and there's no need to kill yourself doing it if you take it gently.

Let us know how you're getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Well done Satcie on taking up the running! Now that you've started, you'll never want to give it up; I'm not a fast runner myself but I really enjoy it so if I was to give anyone starting off advice it would be simple:

1. register for the mini marathon! it will give you a focus and there is nothing like a deadline to keep you motivated! it's amazing how you start to push yourself when there is an event coming up - and having done it twice myself, I can safely say that it's a great event and well worth it..
    2. have a look at Hal Higdon's training plans - they are really good and very realistic...and there is one to suit everyone...
    3. keep a record of all your runs and times - it's great when you track your improvement over time...it's enough to get you off the couch and out running..
    4. don't worry if you don't feel like going out running some days - it is good to listen to your body and days off do help you recover... you'll run better the next day out, and on the day of the mini marathon, the whole atmosphere of the event will make you run faster.
    5. finally (sorry for being so long-winded!), if you really need encouragement, keep reading some of the training logs here - they have really inspired me, whenever I read that someone was out running in the rain, I felt guilty for not running and it got me out too! As I said I'm not a good runner, but dedication and determination got me from the couch to recently finishing a marathon, and if I can do it - anyone can, believe me!

Enjoy your running! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭satcie101

Thank you for the words of encouragement Chatoon and RoyMcC. Definately will follow your advice, and i will join up for the flora women's marathon for sure now. :D

Advertisement