Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best BB for gaming

Options
  • 11-04-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I have three which does Ok except if i want to play some games online. I was thinking of going to the basic clearwire or digiweb packages, are they ok for gaming ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SteeveSmith

clearwire would have terrible pings i think
    smart 3mb package would be the best
    youre looking for good ping speeds

im on the 7mb eircom and it can be terrible at times but lately its been grand 30-50ms pings

id go with any of those but steer clear of mobile/satelitte BB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Have to agree on that, smart seem to have the best ping times for gaming.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yep Smart are pretty good for solid pings.
    I get a fairly steady 40 ms in TF2 with the max being about 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

UPC seem to do alright where gaming is concerned. 3Mb package at my parents' house gets 60ms pings, to Sweden. You can expect 30-40ms to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I'm on BT - I was just playing TF2 on a server located in the U.S...

My ping was 18.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you are going for dsl broadband, is basically depends on your interleaving profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

Eircom....

....NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

if your going to be hosting you need a good upload but if you just want to be in games with out the hastle of setting up a game go for something with a decent download,
    advice stay well away of ice broadband pure scum pigs ,
    smart broadband looks good if you can get it , 20 euro extra a month for better upload speed afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

dublinhitman, i am trying to contact you but you seem to have private messages blocked? can you send me your email address / contact number. its about something im selling and you mentioned about buying it off me this week.

cheers

Ash2020

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet would also have low pings and would be very good for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

For gaming I would have to say it would always be better to opt for the more stable packages, IE: Landlines, Cable etc. Wireless broadband etc is far too prone to spikes and variance in pings.

devnull wrote: »
    For gaming I would have to say it would always be better to opt for the more stable packages, IE: Landlines, Cable etc. Wireless broadband etc is far too prone to spikes and variance in pings.

This is correct, wireless would normally have more problems with contention, download limits and also possibly weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

CutzEr wrote: »
    I'm on BT - I was just playing TF2 on a server located in the U.S...

My ping was 18.

I really doubt it was 18 to the usa. Id say at best to the USA you would be looking at 85+ and that would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

UPC not too bad (depending on your area).

I presonally play WOW on the euro servers located in France...average Ping is around 24ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Darith

Thanks for the replies mates. The reason i favour wireless is because of the flexibility if i move house. I heard people using clearwire for playing consoles online. However playing consoles online is different to playing computers online.

Darith wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies mates. The reason i favour wireless is because of the flexibility if i move house. I heard people using clearwire for playing consoles online. However playing consoles online is different to playing computers online.

I really don't recommend going down the wireless route. Most fixed line carriers will let you move your service if you move house.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

hi..

im with eircom(DSL)..on 3 meg package..

pings from 30-60ms...

Have they sorted the bad ping times if i upgrade to 7 meg? I remember when it came out..EVERYone was givin out about bad ping times.

any news on that?

m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hashbandit

strongr wrote: »
    I really doubt it was 18 to the usa. Id say at best to the USA you would be looking at 85+ and that would be good.
    would have to agree with strongr, I regularly play on US servers and my ping will be anything from 90-130 which is very playable. 18 from Ireland or UK to us is just not going to happen.
    As for wireless well thats what I'm on and I get pings to the UK of 15-30 and it never spikes. Europe usually 30-40. I'm with IBB who have recently been taken over by Imagine, I was with Digiweb but left them a few years ago due to ****e service, infact was the worst service I ever had for broadband would not recommend them at all. Clearwire are even worse and should be avoided like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

netbeatz wrote: »
    UPC not too bad (depending on your area).

I presonally play WOW on the euro servers located in France...average Ping is around 24ms.

I have UPC too. Play alot of Call Of Duty: WAW and it is very playable 99% of the time. Sometimes I do encounter connection issues but that may just be my connection to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

In my opinion/experience, here are the best ISP's in Ireland for gaming:

1 - UPC - had them for the past year and a half in a newly built housing estate (i.e. new cabling) and I have to say I never had such a good connection in my life!

2 - Magnet - had them for over a year and although the connection was great (no downtime and super fast), but latency wasn't the best (probably due to interleaving). I rang them a few times to get the line tweaked but they couldn't get my ping down below 80ms to European severs. Pity...

3 - BT - I know BT only resell Eircom broadband however, they are cheaper, have no download cap and the contention ratio is 24:1 compared to Eircom's 48:1. It's been a long time since I had BT broadband (probably 3 years now) and back then my ping was good (lower than Magnet's) but the connection wasn't as "rock steady" as Magnet or UPC (i.e. it was obvious the connection was slower / more erratic in the evenings during heavy traffic).

4 - IBB - My first ever ISP (nearly 5 years ago). Absolutely useless for gaming. Would not recommend if you can get cable or copper broadband. In fact, I wouldn't recommend any wireless ISP for gaming. Full stop.

Hope this helps! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement