Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting an en-suite...?

• 11-04-2009 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

I have the upstairs of my parent's house as an "apartment" of sorts. Two double rooms, a large bathroom, a 'box' room and an en-suite.

The en-suite is about 3ft wide and 9 [or 10]ft long (sandwiched between the two double rooms), toilet at one end, shower at the other and a teeny lickle basin halfway between the two. It's small and claustrophobic, no window, just an extractor fan thing. It rarely gets used, as such it's a waste of space and water (I flush the loo, run the taps and the shower every now and again to avoid problems). I'd like it to be a cupboard or poss walk-in wardrobe [or combo].

I've been told that you can take out the bathroom fittings and cap off the pipes

But someone else has said no, you need to take the pipes out...

Both people know what they're talking about.

So which is it?

:confused:

cheers me dears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you ever plan to sell the house, the en suite will add more value than a cupboard/walk-in wardrobe will. Also, the bathroom might be handy at some time in the future, perhaps for guests if not yourself.

I would try to leave it as a bathroom if you can, maybe put in a few rails and shelves to store clothes above the toilet and shower, if that's what you need. If you improve the lighting (for example, three gu10 spotlights), it will make a really big difference to the feel of the en-suite for very little money.

In my opinion, you can just cap off the pipes, if you really decide to take things out (though you would be better not to). However, the capped pipes need to be positioned so that they can't get knocked or damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

The en-suite hasn't proved handy, at all, in the 2+ years I've lived here. Don't have guests, and very probably never will until after the parents are gone. There is a bathroom downstairs that any guests can use.

House is unlikely to be sold any time in the forseeable future, and there is piss-all in the line of storage anywhere. I literally have boxes piled up in every room cos there's nowhere to put anything, just a crappy wardrobe that was badly designed and I'm going to gut and re-fit.

If it is possible to take the fittings out of the en-suite and cap off the piping, then that's what I'll do

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The en-suite hasn't proved handy, at all, in the 2+ years I've lived here. Don't have guests, and very probably never will until after the parents are gone. There is a bathroom downstairs that any guests can use.

House is unlikely to be sold any time in the forseeable future, and there is piss-all in the line of storage anywhere. I literally have boxes piled up in every room cos there's nowhere to put anything, just a crappy wardrobe that was badly designed and I'm going to gut and re-fit.

If it is possible to take the fittings out of the en-suite and cap off the piping, then that's what I'll do

thanks!

Yes it can be done. Simple job loads of people do it. Its just more popular to put oe in than take it out....

Blank off all the pipes plumbers know what to do and make sure the 4" pipe is silicone sealed witha bung and vented out through the roof. I would not suggest cutting back any pipes but again if you want to do this why not.

This is a normal job if you post some pictures I will give you an idea of cost but I reckon a plumber will charge about 700 euro. If you cleaver and resourceful you will do it yourself for about 150 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Yes it can be done. Simple job loads of people do it. Its just more popular to put one in than take it out....

yeah, I don't get this one bathroom for everybody in the audience thing, we'd one bathroom between 5 when I was a kid and we managed! I can understand a need for an extra toilet, but the whole shebang? :confused:
    This is a normal job if you post some pictures I will give you an idea of cost but I reckon a plumber will charge about 700 euro. If you cleaver and resourceful you will do it yourself for about 150 euro

cheers me dears, there's a family friend who I can get to do the job for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Has anyone managed to do this?

I would like some tips, were about to do this. Want to get rid of our huge sliderobes to make the bedroom bigger, so planning on converting the en suite.

Got a quote of €150 for a plumber to do the work.

Any tips appriciated!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement