Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 first build

Options
  • 11-04-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

This is going to be my first build so looking for suggestions.

At the moment Im thinking:
    pcbuild.jpg
    I have a 9800gtx+ aswell and cd drive, sound card 64bit vista etc.

Will the 650w PSU be ok? Or should I go for the 750w for just 20e extra?
    Any suggestions for a heatsink for the i7?
    Also I have heard loads of good things about the Antec 900 but with this being my first build I hope that there is alot of room just incase I run into some problems. Will the Antec 900 do?

I have upgraded everyhting on my comp before so im not completly new to this except for adding CPU. Any tips for puting on thermal compund and heatsink? The tought of messing up that scares me :o

Oh and I wont be overcloking anything either. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DrMorphine wrote: »
    This is going to be my first build so looking for suggestions.

At the moment Im thinking:
    pcbuild.jpg
    I have a 9800gtx+ aswell and cd drive, sound card 64bit vista etc.

Also I have heard loads of good things about the Antec 900 but with this being my first build I hope that there is alot of room just incase I run into some problems. Will the Antec 900 do?

I have upgraded everyhting on my comp before so im not completly new to this except for adding CPU. Any tips for puting on thermal compund and heatsink? The tought of messing up that scares me :o

Oh and I wont be overcloking anything either. :)

650w would be fine but if the 750w is only €20 extra I'd get it just for a bit of future proofing.

The antec 900 is a great case. The only problems I have with it are that the cable management is pretty rubbish (a couple of holes in the motherboard tray would have been brilliant) and putting in the 8pin connection was a little tough when you have a big heatsink on the processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

650W will be more than enough. Long term the 750W will prob last you another a wee bit longer if you want to build again in the future. (a 650w or 750 will def get great use in another build in 2-4 years down the line)

The thermalright ultra extreme 1366RT is meant to be a very very good cooler for the iCore7. (not on komplett....) I would avoid any of the socket 1366 coolers on komplett: they don't have a great selection. I would stick with the stock for the moment and see how you get on.

Tis a very good case and a good choice. I do prefer the Antec p182 as it is a bit quieter and has the better cable manangment. But the Antec 900 is a good €40 cheaper and has a window kit and does look more bling. Either is a good choice.

Just make sure you take you time managing your cables: crap cabling really looks even more crap when you can see it through a window kit :D.

The only issue I have with antec cases is that I hate the default fans supplied with them:I replaced all of mine.
    If you find the noise of you case fans annoy you after the build, get some scythflex 120mm 1200rpm fans from quietpc.com.
    http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/casefans/s-flex1201200
    (Yes they are nearly €20 a pop, but they are by far the best fans I have come across, they push alot of air and make sod all noise.)

If you use the intel stock cooler: it will come with a layer preapplied. If you buy a 3rd party one: pea sized drop dead centre of the cpu and let the weight of the heatsink flatten it out works perfectly.

Other than that consider a samsung F1 1tb harddrive
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343055 (€87) 50% extra sapce for a few quid extra over what you picked. The samsung F1 is alo one of the fastest hardrives on the market....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Thanks for the replies!

I think I will go for the Antec 900 so. Im not going to rush anything anyway so if I do run into problems I will just take my time to find away around it!

I will have a look around for the thermalright ultra extreme 1366RT so. I dont really want to put on the stock fan if im going to be taking it off again soon after incase I mess it up.

I will also be buying some fans for the antec and I was thinking of http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=316478.
    uberpixie wrote: »
    Other than that consider a samsung F1 1tb harddrive
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343055 (€87) 50% extra sapce for a few quid extra over what you picked. The samsung F1 is alo one of the fastest hardrives on the market....
    I will go for that so cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

you cannot go wrong with the Coolermaster V8, i have my i7 overclocked to 3.8 @ 1.3Vcore and it idles at 30.

allen175 wrote: »
    you cannot go wrong with the Coolermaster V8, i have my i7 overclocked to 3.8 @ 1.3Vcore and it idles at 30.

I wont be doing any overcloking either so anything should do?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1570516/art/cooler-master/v8-fan.html
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-026-CM

Are pixmania reliable or should I go with overclockers? I have only ever used komplett before and Ive had nothing but good from them. Always perfect deliverys etc thats why I getting most from them.

Ive heard good things about this also. Would this do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I wont be doing any overcloking either so anything should do?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1570516/art/cooler-master/v8-fan.html
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-026-CM

Are pixmania reliable or should I go with overclockers? I have only ever used komplett before and Ive had nothing but good from them. Always perfect deliverys etc thats why I getting most from them.

Ive heard good things about this also. Would this do?

Really don't see your problem with the intel stock coolers: they are ok coolers and usually not too loud at all when throttled properly by the motherboard.

Infact most of the 3rd party coolers you are looking at will be much more difficult to install Vs the stock as you will have to fit a backing plate to the underside of the motherboard and fit the cooler before screwing in the motherboard to your case...

As you are not overclocking I see very little point in replacing it, unless the fact that you will have a window kit and want something a little prettier than the stock cooler.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Go water ;)

DSC_0462.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

lovely clean setup there Mac Daddy.

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Go water ;)

I would love to :D Too bad dont have a clue :o

Advertisement