Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino's Pizza OUTRAGE

• 11-04-2009 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I usually get a 12 inch in my local Italian for €8, and it's feckig delicious. Sadly closed last night and I fancied a pizza so I rang the above place, Domino's and asked the the largest pizza, to which the girl replied 13inch, so I ordered a margherita just and to my amazement she quoted me €16 :eek:, I asked twice to repeat and simply laughed and said are you serious to which I then said erm no thanks.

Went to a place about 10 mins away and got a lovely 12 inch for €8.50 and the same place had a 16 inch, 3 inch more than Domino's for €14 :rolleyes:

Madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I know how you feel. Domino's in NEw Zealand had a "Dominos Cheaper Tuesday" $6.70 for ANY large pizza for pickup. The proof, advert here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jb7YmpxHFE

Also they had Hell's Pizza chain over there (www.hellspizza.co.nz for a gander) best pizza I ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

with all due respect what the hell has the price of a pizza in NZ got to do with anything here????

FFS its bad enough being compared with the north and the uk but NZ???????????? :confused::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

get papa johns... thats good eating.

also putting OUTRAGE like that give me a laugh.

I saw Hell pizza is opening on Camden St. Yum :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Shelflife wrote: »
    with all due respect what the hell has the price of a pizza in NZ got to do with anything here????

For visiting Rugby fans that could be useful information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Tip: Go pick up your dominos pizza. Its far cheaper to pick up than it is for delivery. Any medium pizza 11.5" is 13eur no matter what toppings if you pick up.

And yes..Dominos is expensive but its a good take away pizza. You will get cheaper in your local restaurant but it won't be as big either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I work 6 days a week, 4 of those days we order pizza for lunch.

Usually 50 euro to feed three. Expensive, but pizza is the most expensive fast food, plus nowhere else delivers in ten minutes to us :)

Shelflife wrote: »

FFS its bad enough being compared with the north and the uk but NZ???????????? :confused::mad:

How about for perspective? $6.70 is FU<K ALL! NZ$2.40 to a Euro! How come we cant get similar here or at least some kind of offer akin to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Because these feckers still think they can charge celtic tiger prices, Id say were gonna see some serious slump in pizza sales. Anyone know what the mark up on a regular medium pizza is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Hogzy wrote: »
    Because these feckers still think they can charge celtic tiger prices, Id say were gonna see some serious slump in pizza sales. Anyone know what the mark up on a regular medium pizza is?

Actually quite the opposite. Wasn't there a story about the increased sales of fast food as it was working out cheaper only a few weeks back? Cheaper than buying all the ingredients for dinner in the supermarket.

And 'outrage' OP? Hmm, slight overreaction there I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

majiktripp wrote: »
    How about for perspective? $6.70 is FU<K ALL! NZ$2.40 to a Euro! How come we cant get similar here or at least some kind of offer akin to it?

It is cheaper but so are the wages over there.
    Most importantly the 'large' pizzas in NZ and Oz are only 9.5" which is the same as Domino's Ireland small size.

I get great deals in Domino's, got two proper large pizzas few weeks ago for €22 which easily filled 6 people up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

TheDoc wrote: »

Usually 50 euro to feed three. Expensive, but pizza is the most expensive fast food, plus nowhere else delivers in ten minutes to us :)

You spend over e65 a week for 4 days worth of lunch? Do you not think that sort of attitude is the cause of rip off Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why does the size of the pizza automatically mean its better?

You spend over e65 a week for 4 days worth of lunch? Do you not think that sort of attitude is the cause of rip off Ireland?

It's not a rip off just because you say it is. Some people are quite happy with the price, so then its not a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I only order Domino at lunch time, the one near my work have a launch offer of a can of Coke and a personal pizza for 4€.

The only other time I get take-away pizza is between 02:30-04:30 on a Saturday night after a crap load of beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I haven't had a Domino's Pizza in years, but they used to offer a hell of a discount if you were prepared to collect the pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why does the size of the pizza automatically mean its better?

It's not a rip off just because you say it is. Some people are quite happy with the price, so then its not a rip off.

More a comment on people losing all concept of the value of money. These are the people who are in for the hardest land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It doesn't take much to outrage you. Did you ever consider writing for The Sun newspaper?

I get the family meal deal and it goes down a treat. It is worth it and is dead useful when visitors come over for movies.

PLUS when they mess it up or are late you get a credit for the lot. I did and ended up with over 60 euro credit.

Thats a hell of a lot of mighty meat double decadence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Papa S wrote: »
    I saw Hell pizza is opening on Camden St. Yum :P

They're planning 30 outlets here over the next 2 years.

Finally REAL pizza!

www.hell.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Famous45 wrote: »
    I usually get a 12 inch in my local Italian for €8, and it's feckig delicious. Sadly closed last night and I fancied a pizza so I rang the above place, Domino's and asked the the largest pizza, to which the girl replied 13inch, so I ordered a margherita just and to my amazement she quoted me €16 :eek:,
    That seems about right, only a complete idiot pays the menu price in the big name pizza places, there are ALWAYS vouchers out there. Does your local Italian often have half price & 2 for 1 offers?
    Stekelly wrote: »
    +1 It is not a ripoff you have freedom of choice. The big pizza lads have been running a quiet overpriced cartel for years, they are sitting back laughing in disbelief at the fools who pay full price.

The lads running chinese places must be baffled at how people pay so much for such little food. Look at the bargain alerts forum and you will see all the offers on in pizza places. These "offers" are still not great at all, if my local chinese were to start making pizzas on the same margin as their other dishes then I would expect a 16" pizza for €6.

I can get about 1kilo of chinese food for €6.50 in my local chinese. I remember a mate of mine disgusted since he got a pizza delivered for €22 and polished the lot easy on his own, €22 from the chinese would never be finished by him.

It really puzzles me how people do not realise the value of food and just compare to other similar places pulling the same trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Wasn't there a story about the increased sales of fast food as it was working out cheaper only a few weeks back? Cheaper than buying all the ingredients for dinner in the supermarket.

If there was, it was extremely lazy journalism. You can buy all the ingredients for a 12" pizza & make it yourself for less than €2. The mark-up on takeaways is HUGE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

majiktripp wrote: »
    NZ gets about $11.25 an hour, which is about €5 With low wage costs, this ensures other costs are low as well. You may (or may not) remember that before the Celtic Tiger, when wages weren't high, you could get 4 pints of Guinness, a bag of bacon fries, and still have change from a tenner. It's all relative.

=-=

I get Domions or Mizzonis. The later delivers until 4am, so that's a plus. Dominos has all the bargains, vouchers, etc, so it usually depends on what day it is, what vouchers I have, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

TheDoc wrote: »

I bet you a tenner that you don't work for Weight Watchers. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

whats mizzonis like?

the_syco wrote: »
    NZ gets about $11.25 an hour, which is about €5 With low wage costs, this ensures other costs are low as well. You may (or may not) remember that before the Celtic Tiger, when wages weren't high, you could get 4 pints of Guinness, a bag of bacon fries, and still have change from a tenner. It's all relative.

=-=

I get Domions or Mizzonis. The later delivers until 4am, so that's a plus. Dominos has all the bargains, vouchers, etc, so it usually depends on what day it is, what vouchers I have, etc.

I got $18 an hour and the g/f got $15 working in a shop, and that was 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dudara wrote: »
    I haven't had a Domino's Pizza in years, but they used to offer a hell of a discount if you were prepared to collect the pizza.

That's not realy a discount.

They advertise no delivery fee but they still hike up the price and then claim to offer a "discount" if you collect it yourself.

I didn't think anyone was confused by this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Start a war

or shop elsewhere.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Prices on food are going to all come down. I'd say a lot of resteraunts including Domino's are going to offer better specials. Who says the recession is all gloom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

rubadub wrote: »
    That seems about right, only a complete idiot pays the menu price in the big name pizza places, there are ALWAYS vouchers out there. Does your local Italian often have half price & 2 for 1 offers?

+1 It is not a ripoff you have freedom of choice. The big pizza lads have been running a quiet overpriced cartel for years, they are sitting back laughing in disbelief at the fools who pay full price.

The lads running chinese places must be baffled at how people pay so much for such little food. Look at the bargain alerts forum and you will see all the offers on in pizza places. These "offers" are still not great at all, if my local chinese were to start making pizzas on the same margin as their other dishes then I would expect a 16" pizza for €6.

I can get about 1kilo of chinese food for €6.50 in my local chinese. I remember a mate of mine disgusted since he got a pizza delivered for €22 and polished the lot easy on his own, €22 from the chinese would never be finished by him.

It really puzzles me how people do not realise the value of food and just compare to other similar places pulling the same trick.

.. You buy chinese food by the kilo? :eek:

I usually buy a Four Star Pizza or a Domino's when im up here in Drogheda.

Apache is just.. Well if Domino's is an outrage, Apache is the holocaust.

Mizoni's.. I ordered a pizza there about 3 weeks ago.

It took them 1 hour 22 minutes and 7 phone call's to get here. No exaggeration.
    And it tasted crap.

For me, I have no problem with the prices of Domino's/4*.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/110-01.html
    Hogzy wrote: »

I think Apache hope you are wrong in a slump of sales. Also, didn't one of the other big chains recently take on alot of new staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CutzEr wrote: »
    .. You buy chinese food by the kilo? :eek:
    Acutally it was over a kilo, just 1 "meal", I was trying to estimate the calories as I like calorie counting. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209321

That is my point the portions are absolutely massive and very good value. I can barely finish most meals for 1, when you look at pizzas it says "serves 4-6" or some crap when lads I know will polish a 16" off by themselves.

Here is another one from "lets eat in" chicken korma 830g which did not seem particularly big.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59366999&postcount=222

Lets eat in also do pizza at similar high prices to other places, I would love to see their books on the profit compared to the other dishes.

Advertisement