Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Hero: Smash Hits

Options
  • 11-04-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Looks like activision already have their next GH game on the way:

http://tinyurl.com/dkoqbr

A compilation of songs from all previous GH games with full band functionality.

Another blatant cash in if you ask me. Thats at least 2 GH games this year with GH5 probably on the way before the years end.

This is one reason I prefer RB to GH; rather than release a sh*tload of games and have them all seperate they make the few games they do release all backwards compatible so all the songs can be played in a single game and instead just release a sh*tload of DLC for the one game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The series is just as bad as its publisher at the moment. I'd just say let it die. I much prefer Rock Band now anyhow. I must have downloaded about 12 songs the other day because of the great selection they have to offer. Journey, Judas Priest, Metallica, Dream Theater, Thin Lizzy... yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

The series is just as bad as its publisher at the moment. I'd just say let it die. I much prefer Rock Band now anyhow. I must have downloaded about 12 songs the other day because of the great selection they have to offer. Journey, Judas Priest, Metallica, Dream Theater, Thin Lizzy... yes please!

Yeah, rock band is far better tbh. Theres over 600 songs now apparently and they can all be played through one game which is pretty damn cool it has to be said.
    Rock band in my eyes is the true continuation of the GH series after GH2 since Harmonix did create the series.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I don't think anyone will argue with you there. The GH series died for me with 3 and it's enormous hit window, that let crap people look good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Guitar Hero was good in it's day, but it's time to be put to rest.
    Either way, i won't be touching this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Definitely not buying another gh game after World Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

I won't be buying it.. but mostly 'cos I won't be living in Ireland then :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Just to have a different point of view to the rest of the replies...I heard of this and thought it was a great idea. The 48 best (maybe not the best but what I saw so far looked pretty good) songs from the first 4 games that previously could only be played just on guitar/bass.

I'll pick it up for €30-€40 after it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like the look of it too.... some great songs on there.
    As long as they go back to the old tier structure, I'll probably get it.

They publised the songs from GH3 yesterday that are going to be in the game. I was a bit disappointed with the choice. Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

song list
    "Barracuda"
    Heart
    Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

"Beast and the Harlot"
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Guitar Hero II

"Carry On Wayward Son"
    Kansas
    Guitar Hero II

"Cherry Pie"
    Warrant
    Guitar Hero II

"Cowboys from Hell" (Live)
    Pantera
    Guitar Hero

"Cult of Personality"
    Living Colour

"Freya"
    The Sword
    Guitar Hero II

"Free Bird"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Guitar Hero II

"Godzilla"
    Blue Öyster Cult
    Guitar Hero

"Heart-Shaped Box"
    Nirvana
    Guitar Hero II

"Hey You"
    The Exies
    Guitar Hero

"Hit Me with Your Best Shot"
    Pat Benatar

"I Love Rock 'n Roll"
    Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
    Guitar Hero

"I Wanna Rock"
    Twisted Sister
    Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s

"Killer Queen"
    Queen
    Guitar Hero

"Killing in the Name"
    Rage Against the Machine
    Guitar Hero II

"Laid to Rest"
    Lamb of God
    Guitar Hero II

"Lay Down"
    Priestess

"Message in a Bottle"
    The Police
    Guitar Hero II

"Miss Murder"
    AFI

"Monkey Wrench"
    Foo Fighters
    Guitar Hero II

"More Than a Feeling"
    Boston
    Guitar Hero

"Mother"
    Danzig
    Guitar Hero II

"No One Knows"
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Guitar Hero

"Nothin' but a Good Time"
    Poison
    Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s
    "Psychobilly Freakout"
    Reverend Horton Heat
    Guitar Hero II

"Raining Blood"
    Slayer

"Rock and Roll All Nite"
    Kiss

"Shout at the Devil"
    Mötley Crüe
    Guitar Hero II

"Smoke on the Water"
    Deep Purple
    Guitar Hero

"Stellar"
    Incubus
    Guitar Hero

"Stop!"
    Jane's Addiction
    Guitar Hero II

"Take it Off" The Donnas
    Guitar Hero

"Take Me Out"
    Franz Ferdinand
    Guitar Hero

"Them Bones"
    Alice in Chains
    Guitar Hero II

"Through the Fire and Flames"
    DragonForce

"Thunder Kiss '65"
    White Zombie
    Guitar Hero

"Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart"
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Guitar Hero II

"The Trooper"
    Iron Maiden
    Guitar Hero II

"Unsung" (Live)
    Helmet
    Guitar Hero

"Woman"
    Wolfmother
    Guitar Hero II

"YYZ"
    Rush
    Guitar Hero II

"Bark at the Moon" Ozzy Osbourne Guitar Hero

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was a little underwhelmed too. No Cliffs of Dover or Muse...

And there's going to be no JORDAN!! What the hell!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Yeah, I was a little underwhelmed too. No Cliffs of Dover or Muse...

And there's going to be no JORDAN!! What the hell!

exactly! And why are they only putting 48 songs in the game? There's over 80 songs in Rock Band isn't there? So it's not like they can say there isn't enough room to put more than 48 sings on the disc.

Better still, why are they putting it on a disk full stop! This should be DLC, plain and simple...

Better still, why are they putting it on a disk full stop! This should be DLC, plain and simple...

it'd be a huge download though. Although it should be able to be put onto the harddrive the same way you can do it with Rock Band for RB2.

Can that be done with the Metallica GH?

As to size problems, they could have released it in chunks. I'm not sure about the putting the songs onto your hard drive though.

As to size problems, they could have released it in chunks. I'm not sure about the putting the songs onto your hard drive though.

The good thing about the disc though is that the cost per song is relatively low compared to regular DLC. It'd be a pity if you can't put them onto the harddrive.

Activision really need to throw in the towel here. They blew it by fumbling the deal with Harmonix. Now they're trailing behind in their attempts to provide competition.

Let it go guys, Rock Band kicked your ass nearly two years ago, show some dignity and mercy kill the project.

What ShawnRaven said. They tried to wow us with their incorrectly (but difficultly) made songs and failed. Give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Activision really need to throw in the towel here. They blew it by fumbling the deal with Harmonix. Now they're trailing behind in their attempts to provide competition.

Let it go guys, Rock Band kicked your ass nearly two years ago, show some dignity and mercy kill the project.
    What ShawnRaven said. They tried to wow us with their incorrectly (but difficultly) made songs and failed. Give it up.

Speaking as someone who is a huge Rock Band fan (easily spent hundreds of €'s on DLC alone) would either of you guys care to explain why Activision should stop making a series that sells well and makes a huge profit?!

Speaking as someone who is a huge Rock Band fan (easily spent hundreds of €'s on DLC alone) would either of you guys care to explain why Activision should stop making a series that sells well and makes a huge profit?!

I've no problem with any company going into business to make money, provided it's done right.

But Guitar Hero World Tour was an abortion on so many levels. The Guitar Hero series has been on a downward slope getting steeper and steeper since Harmonix left to the point where Guitar Hero has gone from a Pioneer game (at least on the consoles anyway) to a long running joke.

Of course, if they were willing to make GH a worthy contender to RB, which i thought they would have done anyway, I'd have a different view, but as it stands in my honest opinion, i personally think that the GH games since Harmonix left have been a farce.

• Advertisement

but as it stands in my honest opinion, i personally think that the GH games since Harmonix left have been a farce.

I think the evolution of Judy Nails is an apt metaphor for what went wrong between GH2 and GH3 ie: the switch over in developers.

From this
    judy1.jpg
    Alternative, fun and well designed, emphasising the content more than the packaging

To this
    judy2.jpg
    A stick figure, slutty, in-it-for-the-money emo girl, who tries to be overly showy but ends up being completely and utterly devoid of character.

PS: Metaphor aside I was genuinely horrified at what they did to all the characters

by the way is anyone going to get this game

"Not I!" Said the Dark Onion

i bet this will be 20 euros 2 weaks after it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

But Guitar Hero World Tour was an abortion on so many levels. The Guitar Hero series has been on a downward slope getting steeper and steeper since Harmonix left to the point where Guitar Hero has gone from a Pioneer game (at least on the consoles anyway) to a long running joke.

Of course, if they were willing to make GH a worthy contender to RB, which i thought they would have done anyway, I'd have a different view, but as it stands in my honest opinion, i personally think that the GH games since Harmonix left have been a farce.

I agree with everything you've written there! I didn't buy GH:WT because it was so utterly crap in comparison to RB, let alone RB2 which is untouchable as far as I'm concerned. And Dark Onion, I love that metaphor. Here's another parallel. GH II has Pandora, GH III doesn't, and WT makes her look idiotic! From good to bad to worse!

The only GH product I've bought since I first played RB is GH:Metallica and that's because, unpopular as it may be, I'm a huge Metallica Fan, and it caters in a big way to them!

But to my original point, these games are hugely successful and popular (perhaps not on boards, and certainly not on rockband.com) so why stop making them! Sure, try to improve the formula, but why stop!?

by the way is anyone going to get this game

I'm going to get it. I won't buy it for €60 but I'm more than willing to pick it up for under €40 off some online shop.

40 euro thats still alot for that game maybe 20

€20 is ridiculously cheap. You'll be waiting a while. €30 is as low as this is going to sink. Rocks the 80s on the PS2 was 50 or 60 when I got it, and it didn't drop for ages.

The worst character crime of all is what they did to my BELOVED Izzy Sparks. That guy was my freaking GH Idol. An 80s Glam Rock/Metal Legend
    1227017867-9979-0.jpg

And below in his F**CKING LADYBOY GH3 form... WHY ACTIVISION, WHYYYYYY?? Look at the state of his face, UGH even I'd forgotten how malformed they made him.
    izzysparksoo9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

There are a couple of older GH tracks listed that I'd like to play as a band but I'd rather they just released 'em as dlc. Unless you can import 'Smash Hits' into WT I might give it a pass. Several have already popped up as dlc for RB, if Harmonix are clever they could fill the gaps in the dlc library of older GH tracks rendering GH:SH redundant.

What EA/Harmonix could learn from Activision is how to market their game. GH has a much bigger presence in game stores than RB, heck the RB2 instruments still haven't made an appearance over on this side of the water despite being out in the states for a couple of months.

• Advertisement

But to my original point, these games are hugely successful and popular (perhaps not on boards, and certainly not on rockband.com) so why stop making them! Sure, try to improve the formula, but why stop!?

Because I don't believe Neversoft can improve it, I think they're trying and instead of the series improving, it's regressing.

And i'd rather see it mercy killed, than going further and further into decline.
    If I thought it could be improved with the current bunch of numskulls Activision like to refer to as developers, i would be all up for it.

But they've had what, two years now and zero signs of improvement?

Advertisement