Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which language should I use

Options
  • 11-04-2009 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hello,
    I havent done any programming for around 6 years and am very rusty but want to dive in again.
    I am looking to develop an application for golf tournaments which will run an algorithm which gives each player a score before the tournament and show the results. I am unsure which would be the best language to use, can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

need more information.

who are your target audience, pro golfers, amateurs, club houses?
    what kind of architecture? 3-tier? or standalone application?
    would the application be available on mobile devices ala iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

It sounds to me like the algorithm here will be fairly simple, and having a language that can make formatting the results easy will be the important factor. Correct?

Also, are you thinking web-apps or do you want/need a local client?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

In my opinion, this is a job for: Excel macro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

+1 for Excel macro.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Open Office Macro. :p

Why not code for say iPhone/ITouch? Very easy using Objective-C. Downside is you have to shell out to buy a mac.

• Advertisement
Advertisement