Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections.

Options
  • 11-04-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Coming up to them soon, the flyers are coming in the door at a steady pace.

I'm in county Limerick area I think, and so far a few candidates hae ruled themselves out for me.

Putting this up as an open message, if you're a politician, and think you can get my vote by pushing a flyer through my letter box and running away without so much as a hello, then you can fcuk right off.
    So far, Elena Secas is the only person to come and introduce herself, and I will be voting for her unless someone else wows me.

Also, as an aside, Willie O Dea, If you want to have a future in Limerick politics, I think you need to leave FF. They are destroying your career by making you toe the party line. Shannon Airport Aer lingus Debacle, Dell, the whole thing is a mess, Get out now and represent the people who elected you, and not the government that are turning their back on Limerick.

EDIT: sorry, bit of a rant :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Here here, totally agree with you, I never once seen any of the local politicians in my ward come near me despite the fact they all live within 5 minutes of me, yet they decided I wanted speed bumps outside my house and rest of my road as well as other stupid things that no1 in my area Wanted or asked for...

Totally waste of time and FIANNA FAIL for 1 will not get a single vote off me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Like the first poster i live in limerick county ,for about four and a half years ,the one and only time i met one of the local councillors ,was during the last general election ,and only half a mile down the road,if there was a general election in the morning and willie o dea was the only canditate ,i would not even bother to vote,his performance on late night with vincent brown the other night left me seething,to sneer and smirk when anyone else was talking and i found the whole thing distasteful,sorry for going on but as far as i can see they whole lot of them are the same under their respective flags just one lot in goverment ,and one lot in opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

it just sickens me so much. like 2 nights ago I got a flyer in the letterbox from Brigid teefy at 7 in the evening. They should be knocking and talking to me, or at least giving me the option to chat to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Personally I have been out canvassing with Joe Crowley in City North and Brian Stokes in Castleconnell EA so far.

The response has not been as bad for us as some of you ae obviously hoping it would be. In Caherdavin the response has been about 90% positive as the only person to actually have knocked and spoken to people.

Tom Shortt of Labour this morning became the first candidate to canvass our house and he will get my highest available preference but it won't be a 1. He put my dad off slightly as he worked on the skate park, which my dad thinks should have sourced full time security funding before letting it go ahead. But overall he will also consider him.

One person who hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting a vote out of us, nice and all as he is personally, is Michael Hourigan after sourcing some cowboys to lay what can only be described as manuremac on top of the poor road surface we already had. This has since (in 16 months) developed more holes than what was there before.

steveon wrote: »
    Here here, totally agree with you, I never once seen any of the local politicians in my ward come near me despite the fact they all live within 5 minutes of me, yet they decided I wanted speed bumps outside my house and rest of my road as well as other stupid things that no1 in my area Wanted or asked for...

Totally waste of time and FIANNA FAIL for 1 will not get a single vote off me

Can I just ask, 1) what ward considering only 2 of 4 have a Fianna Fáil cllr, and 2) did you raise the issue with any of your elected neighbours afterwards to get an explanation and 3) are you 100% certian that not even 1 person in your GENERAL area wanted speed ramps, because half our road got them where people asked and the other half didn't where people objected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

ninty9er wrote: »
    Can I just ask, 1) what ward considering only 2 of 4 have a Fianna Fáil cllr, and 2) did you raise the issue with any of your elected neighbours afterwards to get an explanation and 3) are you 100% certian that not even 1 person in your GENERAL area wanted speed ramps, because half our road got them where people asked and the other half didn't where people objected.

1 I think Im in ward 4.
    2. Raised issue with council and elected counsillers at the time, they stated that cllr Jim Long had requested the speed bumps on the residents behalf. There are just over 30 houses on my road. On the day they were being put down, every resident was out on the steet in uproar as they started work at 7am waking up most of the street. On contacting the road department I was amazed to find out they were not open until 9.30am. I parked my work van outside my gate so they couldnt start work until I was met on the issue and I informed the council that it made no sense to start with a speed bump half way up a street and secondly it's a one way street where a single speed bump in the centre of the street would have been more suffice. No1 requested them as there was no need for them, now they are an eyesore as its a concrete street with tar-macdam speed ramps which look ugly and are a form of entertainment now...

And finally where speed bumps are wanted in a street the council should be made inform the residents and put them where applicable where the people who want them reside and not wherever they want to despite the fact that they pose a danger and serve no purpose...I finally won my battle and it was moved 3 doors away at the start of the street, Jim Long has never been since before or since on my street and I informed Maria Byrne of this issue when she knocked at my door earlierr in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

zuroph wrote: »

I'm in county Limerick area I think, and so far a few candidates hae ruled themselves out for me.

Putting this up as an open message, if you're a politician, and think you can get my vote by pushing a flyer through my letter box and running away without so much as a hello, then you can fcuk right off.
    So far, Elena Secas is the only person to come and introduce herself, and I will be voting for her unless someone else wows me.

Also, as an aside, Willie O Dea, If you want to have a future in Limerick politics, I think you need to leave FF. They are destroying your career by making you toe the party line. Shannon Airport Aer lingus Debacle, Dell, the whole thing is a mess, Get out now and represent the people who elected you, and not the government that are turning their back on Limerick.

EDIT: sorry, bit of a rant :o

plus it seems he gave wayne dundon a character reference which got him a reduced sentance, quoted on another thread on this forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Was just about to say, Elena Secas is the only one that has been friendly and upfront. I liker her ideas and for the moment, my vote is with her also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 limk-boy

With respect, I have to disagree with your logic. You obviously live in the Castleconnell ward, which has 32,000 people in it. Is it reasonable to expect every candidate to be able to meet every voter? Are you in your house 24 hours a day? And what does it matter anyway, if a candidate is good, they deserve a vote, why do you need to meet them personally?

I don't know anything about Elena Secas; I think I'll vote for Trish Forde Brennan. Planning in Limerick is such a disaster, I think a Green voice would do us good.

Totally agree with you re Willie O'Dea though!:)

limk-boy wrote: »
    With respect, I have to disagree with your logic. You obviously live in the Castleconnell ward, which has 32,000 people in it. Is it reasonable to expect every candidate to be able to meet every voter? Are you in your house 24 hours a day? And what does it matter anyway, if a candidate is good, they deserve a vote, why do you need to meet them personally?

I don't know anything about Elena Secas; I think I'll vote for Trish Forde Brennan. Planning in Limerick is such a disaster, I think a Green voice would do us good.

Totally agree with you re Willie O'Dea though!:)
    If Im in the house when the flyer arrives, yes, I would prefer a courtesy knock, at least from a canvasser of theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The real canvassing hasn't started yet, hence people aren't really knocking on doors yet.

Why should we vote for Joe Crowley 99er? What has he done (apart from join FF) to make you think he's the man for the job?

FF were nearly destroyed the last time out in the local elections, lets hope the people of Limerick finish the job and kick the last two out.

The real canvassing hasn't started yet, hence people aren't really knocking on doors yet.

Why should we vote for Joe Crowley 99er? What has he done (apart from join FF) to make you think he's the man for the job?

FF were nearly destroyed the last time out in the local elections, lets hope the people of Limerick finish the job and kick the last two out.

Joe didn't join FF just to run, he's been in the organisation for a number of years. He's out on the ground, working on the issues, and is relating to people on the doorsteps in regard to their issues.

The economy is not a local issue, a burnt down clubhouse is, the HSE is not a local issue, anti-social behaviour is. He is engaging with communites across the northside on this issue and for one thing isn't allowing people to fall for the codology that suggests every problem or crime stems from Moyross, that local kids are the ones causing problems, drinking in bushes, shouting and intimidating old people (albeit unintentionally).

Pot holes and speed ramps are issues that people elect councillors to address, TDs are elected to legislate, steer the economy and run the country, and no matter how good or bad a job they're doing, it bears no relevance to the pot hole, the anti-social behaviour root causes and such like.

No candidate is perfect but between Joe and John (who I haven't had a chance to get out with yet) they have a good mix of political experience and personal experience.

Why exactly should a FF candidate seeking to represent local issues be targetted by voters on the basis of national politics as opposed to who will serve them best on local issues. People engaging in that childish nonsense are essentially cutting off their nose to spite their face.

And yes...the canvassing HAS started, but not everybody is home when canvassing happens

The economy is not a local issue, a burnt down clubhouse is, the HSE is not a local issue, anti-social behaviour is. He is engaging with communites across the northside on this issue and for one thing isn't allowing people to fall for the codology that suggests every problem or crime stems from Moyross, that local kids are the ones causing problems, drinking in bushes, shouting and intimidating old people (albeit unintentionally).

In what way is he engaging with local communities on "this issue"?

Why should I vote for him ahead of anyone already representing Ward 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I am going to do what i always do, give my vote to the biggest no hoper on the ballot. They need encouragement!!

Well Ward 1 and the Bruff EA Suburbs to the north of the Ward are now City North Electoral Area with an extra seat gained from the County Council, so it's not unreasonable to expect that a certain amount of the voter allegience will disappear there with Cormac Hurley being the only Bruff person in Caherdavin.

Engaging with people on issues, surprised as you may be to hear it, is listening to what they say, giving a response, following up the query with City Hall, and getting back to people.

If people have issues, they need to know where their local representative stands on those issues, and also that they are capable of getting a satisfactory outcome.

I wouldn't canvass for anyone I didn't believe could fulfil those criteria.

Engaging with people on issues, surprised as you may be to hear it, is listening to what they say, giving a response, following up the query with City Hall, and getting back to people.

If people have issues, they need to know where their local representative stands on those issues, and also that they are capable of getting a satisfactory outcome.

I wouldn't canvass for anyone I didn't believe could fulfil those criteria.

Such as? What great initiatives has he brought to the attention of City Hall?

I would think the Ward 1 councillors are pretty good as things stand, what talents does Joe have to make you think he'd do a better job than John Cronin?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

In fairness its always the new ones/or unheard of ones that come to the door full of life and great ideas, do you ever see them after that?

Nope! Had a young Labour candidate called to the door few years back and she got votes from my family, never heard much from her again!

Such as? What great initiatives has he brought to the attention of City Hall?

I would think the Ward 1 councillors are pretty good as things stand, what talents does Joe have to make you think he'd do a better job than John Cronin?

I'm not disputing that the councillors already elected in the Current Ward 1 work away, but it's not all about what has been done, it's also about what potential for new fresh ideas there are to be brought in. John is working on the issues like roads and services, but there's a facilities side of things that is lacking, recreation areas for teenagers and such like that Joe wants to work on.

It's not that any one councillor is better, but it is the differences that you will have to make your decision on. There's are issues like road crossings for kids to bus lanes that don't currently serve a purpose, to local authority funding for community groups of all sorts. I suppose it's the community building aspect that sets Joe apart from any sitting councillor.

But again, the differentiations will attract different voters with different priorities.

In fairness its always the new ones/or unheard of ones that come to the door full of life and great ideas, do you ever see them after that?

Nope! Had a young Labour candidate called to the door few years back and she got votes from my family, never heard much from her again!

The reason that happens is because the sitting TD's don't want anyone capable of threatening their seats. There is exceptions to this, Michael Hourigan for example, is a good councillor, but he's too old to run for the Dail, so he's no threat to Noonan, and sometimes a young candidate is energised and talented enough to get elected in an area where a sitting TD isn't particularly strong.

For example, if Peter Power felt that Joe Crowley could take his seat in the Dail, Peter Power wouldn't endorse him.

Albert Reynolds was a master of this dark art of vote management, but all the parties engage in it.

I'm not disputing that the councillors already elected in the Current Ward 1 work away, but it's not all about what has been done, it's also about what potential for new fresh ideas there are to be brought in. John is working on the issues like roads and services, but there's a facilities side of things that is lacking, recreation areas for teenagers and such like that Joe wants to work on.

It's not that any one councillor is better, but it is the differences that you will have to make your decision on. There's are issues like road crossings for kids to bus lanes that don't currently serve a purpose, to local authority funding for community groups of all sorts. I suppose it's the community building aspect that sets Joe apart from any sitting councillor.

But again, the differentiations will attract different voters with different priorities.

So for example, I take it Joe wants the buslane on the Ennis road? I take it he'll say that to the faces of the residents who'll lose their parking?

Btw, Kathleen Leddin restarted the community games for the Ardhu Northside, which I would consider very important in community building, and Michael Hourigan is extremely involved in regeneration agencies in Moyross, Kevin Kiely is a big supporter of sport in Thomondgate, which is great for building community spirit (I believe he's on the board of Thomond RFC?), John Ryan (prior to his health issues) was very involved in pensioners groups across the entire of Ward 1.

I take it you don't see any of this as community building, because if that's all that sets Joe apart from the current crop, his job is already being covered.

• Advertisement

Joe didn't join FF just to run, he's been in the organisation for a number of years. He's out on the ground, working on the issues, and is relating to people on the doorsteps in regard to their issues.

Pot holes and speed ramps are issues that people elect councillors to address, TDs are elected to legislate, steer the economy and run the country, and no matter how good or bad a job they're doing, it bears no relevance to the pot hole, the anti-social behaviour root causes and such like.

No candidate is perfect but between Joe and John (who I haven't had a chance to get out with yet) they have a good mix of political experience and personal experience.

Why exactly should a FF candidate seeking to represent local issues be targetted by voters on the basis of national politics as opposed to who will serve them best on local issues. People engaging in that childish nonsense are essentially cutting off their nose to spite their face.

And yes...the canvassing HAS started, but not everybody is home when canvassing happens

I'd have to strongly disagree with you there. It's that kind of thinking that has landed us with the current standard of TDs-by and large good people and good community activists, but hopeless at running a country. People get angry at FF, or whoever, but still think the 'local' guy is a good worker, so vote FF, and then give out about the people they've voted for, and the cycle continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd have to strongly disagree with you there. It's that kind of thinking that has landed us with the current standard of TDs-by and large good people and good community activists, but hopeless at running a country. People get angry at FF, or whoever, but still think the 'local' guy is a good worker, so vote FF, and then give out about the people they've voted for, and the cycle continues...

agreed...I'll vote for someone who's looking at the bigger picture than someone who's looking after their local area only.
    I'm tired of explaining this to people and seeing the different levels of stupidity on their faces as they try to understand.

agreed...I'll vote for someone who's looking at the bigger picture than someone who's looking after their local area only.
    I'm tired of explaining this to people and seeing the different levels of stupidity on their faces as they try to understand.

But do you not get the whole point of a TD is to make laws. The point of a councillor is to represent peoples' views and concerns about local issues.

All TDs engage in getting pot holes fixed because the public expect it of them. That's not necessarilly a bad thing, but it's certainly not a function designed to be carried out by a TD.

@ Amazo:

There probably won't be one person on the ballot paper that isn't involved in community groups of some sort, but I live 5 minutes walk from the Ardhu and in 14 years Kathleen has been to our door twice (more than any other councillor), but I've still never even heard of those games.

You can be as active as you like, but if you're not effective about it, it's time to give someone else a chance.

Tom Shortt is really the only new candidate that I don't know that has previously crossed my radar for community work.

Bus lane wise....just because your house costs €2m doesn't mean you have a God given right to park on the road outside it, but that's my opinion. I haven't discussed the issue with Joe or John. I think you'll find Maria Byrne objected to the one on O'Connell Avenue and Ballinacurra Road though, and she wasn't the only one.

The city manager has however found a way to circumvent the planning process surrounding bus lanes, so we will be seeing more of them, and hopefully Bus Éireann will pitch up and match the committment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Joe ..... is relating to people on the doorsteps in regard to their issues.

Really ? Is this in a real, tangible way or is he pretending the way his leader does when he says that everyone will "share the pain according to what they can afford" ?

How did he vote or campaign within the party on the following:

1) The inaction of FF on Aer Lingus' move from Shannon
    2) The inaction of FF on the use of Shannon by U.S. Troops & rendition flights
    3) The boundary extension, which threatens Limerick's status as Ireland's 3rd city and affects funding from national level
    4) The abuse of former "ring roads" which are now access driveways for badly-planned retail parks
    5) Badly-planned estates with no facilities where it's a mile's drive or walk WITHIN the estate to a bus stop or "local" shop
    6) Funding and grants for business-style facilities (golf courses, astroturf, etc) while squash courts and public playing fields get abandoned)
    7) The fact that the Limerick Tunnel will be tolled, while the Cork one isn't

Also,
    1) What has he proposed AND FOLLOWED THROUGH ON in relation to the minority of scumbags who seem to do as they please ?
    2) What has he proposed to counteract Limerick people's pain on bad planning and overpriced houses ?

In other words - "empathy" and talk is cheap (and at this stage political talk is usually empty promises and lies); if he wants to be elected he has to prove that he can ACT in the public interest (including abandoning the party if necessary) and help to improve the quality of life of those people.

Note: I don't know who the guy is, and can't comment in either direction on the above, but his choice of party implies - at best - a "couldn't care less" stance.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Really ? Is this in a real, tangible way or is he pretending the way his leader does when he says that everyone will "share the pain according to what they can afford" ?
    I don't like to engage on leading questions with people who have already made their mind up rightly or wrongly, but sharing the pain is what IS happening if you car to look at the 9% extra in unavoidable taxes that were levied on someone earning €300,000 in this month's budget. However that is an argument for a different...national politics thread
    How did he vote or campaign within the party on the following:
    1) The inaction of FF on Aer Lingus' move from Shannon

There has been voiced opposition to the Aer Lingus move from Shannon by every public representative I've come across. Regardless of party. There is no forum in which most of them have a vote on such a matter
    2) The inaction of FF on the use of Shannon by U.S. Troops & rendition flights
    US troops are keeping Shannon open, and realistically, until rendition is proven by an international court it's a non-issue
    3) The boundary extension, which threatens Limerick's status as Ireland's 3rd city and affects funding from national level
    Limerick should get a further boundary extension, however the EA in which Joe is running has now been extended to the Clare border, so that will not be something that directly affects anyon eligible to vote for him.
    4) The abuse of former "ring roads" which are now access driveways for badly-planned retail parks
    Such as??
    5) Badly-planned estates with no facilities where it's a mile's drive or walk WITHIN the estate to a bus stop or "local" shop
    This is the kind of situation that nobody likes and rectifying it is part of a community building strategy. See above that building communities is an issue Joe wants to work on if elected and is working on at the moment ion Caherdavin with community groups and on the Parish Council in Our Lady of the Rosary.
    6) Funding and grants for business-style facilities (golf courses, astroturf, etc) while squash courts and public playing fields get abandoned)
    These are public facilities that are promoted by the City Council such as the playing pitch next to the Greenhills that has been vandalised recently. I know that Joe is definitely working on resolving the anti-social behaviour issues that caused this, including lobbying for 24 hour services at Mayorstone.
    7) The fact that the Limerick Tunnel will be tolled, while the Cork one isn't
    National issue, but personally I don't have an issue as long as it's not extortionate (i.e more than €2.50 for a car)[/quote]
    1) What has he proposed AND FOLLOWED THROUGH ON in relation to the minority of scumbags who seem to do as they please ?
    See above.
    2) What has he proposed to counteract Limerick people's pain on bad planning and overpriced houses ?
    You'd have to ask him yourself, I haven't heard anyone raise it on the doorsteps.
    In other words - "empathy" and talk is cheap (and at this stage political talk is usually empty promises and lies); if he wants to be elected he has to prove that he can ACT in the public interest (including abandoning the party if necessary) and help to improve the quality of life of those people.
    If you heard the bitching about the government from all candidates on the FF side you'd understand this is a non-issue. It will be done. If you want an example that gained national coverage, Sarah Ryan on Dublin City Council voted against the rate increase against the party whip. If an MEP's daughter can do it, anyone can.

Note: I don't know who the guy is, and can't comment in either direction on the above, but his choice of party implies - at best - a "couldn't care less" stance.
    That's a very ignorant view to take. But honestly, some people can't or won't separate the local from national issues so rightly or wrongly votes will be cast in that way.

Realistically, I think it's up to each voter to inform themselves by asking the candidates rather than waiting for a knock on the door from 15+ different people. However this is Ireland, and I have about as much faith in the possibility of the entire electorate informing itself as you have in the government.

ninety9er, I couldn't even be bothered to respond to that crap you posted. You seem to think that the local FF people can say one thing, the national party can do another, and us Limerick people are too stupid to notice. You're loyalty to FF is blinding you to reality. Less of the propaganda.

Liam Byrne, if you ran for election I'd vote for you! The points you raised are excellent.

ninety9er, I couldn't even be bothered to respond to that crap you posted. You seem to think that the local FF people can say one thing, the national party can do another, and us Limerick people are too stupid to notice. You're loyalty to FF is blinding you to reality. Less of the propaganda.

Liam Ryan, if you ran for election I'd vote for you! The points you raised are excellent.
    Screen what you say yourself and acquaint yourself with the the structures of local and national government before you come along pointing your hypocrytical finger. You might like to take a few English lessons too.

Screen what you say yourself

I'm sorry, would you like to point out where I've posted party propoganda here??
    and acquaint yourself with the the structures of local and national government .

eh...I'm well acquainted
    before you come along pointing your hypocrytical finger. .

What exactly was hypocritical about my post?
    You might like to take a few English lessons too.

Go on, I'll indulge you; why should I take English lessons??

I'm sorry, would you like to point out where I've posted party propoganda here??

I didn't say you did

eh...I'm well acquainted
    Obviously not if you think national and local politics are the same. It's quite possible for national party politics to be different to the view of the local candidate of the same party.
    What exactly was hypocritical about my post?
    Pointing fingers about crap posted.
    Go on, I'll indulge you; why should I take English lessons??
    Since you asked:

"ninety9er" and "you're loyalty"

Comprehension and grammar seem to be evading you. That's beside the point, but since you won't address the issues, I won't bother anymore either.

I'll get my coat!

• Advertisement

over or under odds on which post godwins law is instigated?

Advertisement