Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a shed

Options
  • 11-04-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi has anyone bought a shed of theses guys these are the cheapest ive found for just wondered what there stuf is like

http://www.waltons.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 martblue

My brother In law can make you one to order!!! I see your in Donegal too. Any size/shape etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

ive rung a few ppl in donegal about sheds but they all away in the head with there prices but if he has a decent price then i could be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

pmcf wrote: »
    ive rung a few ppl in donegal about sheds but they all away in the head with there prices but if he has a decent price then i could be interested

I bet most of your local manufacturers / suppliers have display models where you can touch, see and feel the quality of the product you are buying before you spend one cent.

I would also bet most have a fitting service, but more important a good after sales service should you need it.

I have seen similar products bought on line from the UK, the timber cut so thin you can almost see through them, as for back up forget it you are buying a flat pack unit so any problems are referred back to you or the person who assembled it.
    How about telling your local supplier the quality you are happy with and that you have no problem with having it left at your gate ?

At least that way you are comparing the prices on a like with like basis.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Sent you pm for more info etc..;)

Pete heat thanks or your comments i understand what your saying i know that some wooden sheds can be made of crappy wood ive decided to go for a metal one but waltons shed seem to get mixed reviews so am not sure if ill buy of them now as i want a shed that will fit together and not have to be messing about trying to make to go together.ive seen a shed in B&Q thats a bit smaller but hopefully will be better quaility so may give them a try.

Martblue pmd you back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    I was in the market for a shed and my brother brought this to my attention,

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7053445/Trail/searchtext%3EMETAL+SHED.htm

Ordered today, allow 21 days for delivery and another twenty something euro for delivery. The offer ends tomorrow and they give you a 10E voucher,

Worth a look,

Pete heat thanks or your comments i understand what your saying i know that some wooden sheds can be made of crappy wood ive decided to go for a metal one but waltons shed seem to get mixed reviews so am not sure if ill buy of them now as i want a shed that will fit together and not have to be messing about trying to make to go together.ive seen a shed in B&Q thats a bit smaller but hopefully will be better quaility so may give them a try.

Martblue pmd you back

Hi,

I fully appreciate that you must get value for the money you are spending which one of the reasons I think you should get to see the product before you spend.

Brochures can be just as misleading as web sites we must remember they are marketing tools.

One of my sisters bought a steel shed from Argus in Blanchardstown, I would have thought she was safe buying there as they are a big company and she bought direct from the store.

The metal was more akin to tin foil, the sliding door rail never held the door properly, it had to be replaced within 6 months.

Ask what thickness of the sheeting is, and if the finish is plastisol or painted (they also call paint coated), you want plastisol and at least .5 thickness to get a reasonable long life from the shed.

I hope the above is of help.

thanks pete some really good advice there i never thought to ask what thickness the metal was i think ill just try to find a comprise on price and quailty.

Connrang cheers for the link mate but im looking for somthing a lot bigger just want somwhere to dry to work on my car and things like that fed up working on my car and get soaked in the rain lol .

thanks again for the advice guys :D

After being in touch with waltons ive picked the shed i want they told me that the panel thickness is 2mm do you think that would be sturdy enough as i live by the coast and it can get pretty windy here somtimes im going to bolt the shed to the concrete floor anyway but i dont want to get somthing that will be to flimsy either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

pmcf, i was looking for a similar shed for my car, when you get a chance can you come back and let us know how you got on please. was it easy to put together,is it strong enough,etc

thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I think they meant .2 which is very light, the average indusrial quality is .7mm while .5 is the lightest generally accepted for side wall sheeting.

The life expectancy on all steel sheeting used in coastal areas is a lot less than for in-land applications even the best quality plastisol coated .7 is subject to major maintenace after ten years (thats from the manufacturer).

I expect its .2 coated sheeting, I wouldn't buy one and I am not near the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

.2 is too thin, stay away, agree 100% with PeteHeat

soups05 wrote: »
    pmcf, i was looking for a similar shed for my car, when you get a chance can you come back and let us know how you got on please. was it easy to put together,is it strong enough,etc
    thanks.
    Hi soups i havent bought any shed yet as the waltons one seems to be a bit to flimsy id prob get up some morning to find it either blown away or all bent from the wind so im still trying to find a slightly stronger shed if i do find a shed ill let ya know.

A decent steel one to take a car will be a fair amount, as you will have steel structure plus the sheets, then you have the concrete base to take into consideration, you might be better off, getting some 6in blocks and building one, then put tin roof on it..will last years and a lot better than them other flimsy things..Plenty builders knocking about these days few days would build it.

i agree with you martblue id prefer to get a block built shed would be the only thing really but i got a few prices from local builders but all were way more than i could afford think ill just keep saving and maybe get one built next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭osullima

i agree with you martblue id prefer to get a block built shed would be the only thing really but i got a few prices from local builders but all were way more than i could afford think ill just keep saving and maybe get one built next year

What kind of prices did you get and for what kind of size shed?

cheapest price i got was 2k which is way to exspensive i cant afford that ,the size would be just somthing to get my car into prob 10ft by 15ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭air

Your budget is too low then for what you want, start saving if you want anything that's going to last more than a few years.

Advertisement