Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

if you won

• 11-04-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

was talking to some mates and got talking bout the lotto as its a big one tonight 10million+euros...you know what would ya do if you won it - surprisingly a few said they wouldnt be giving up the day job---

for me i would be gone - buy a nice house with pool in spain - set up a nice bar business and relax my life away - buy an aprilia mille rsv and away i would be....

so what would you do if those lucky six numbers came up?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd collect the money first of all anyway.

After that I'd just take it all in and relax over the next few weeks and see what happened :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

shezzie wrote: »
    was talking to some mates and got talking bout the lotto as its a big one tonight 10million+euros...you know what would ya do if you won it - surprisingly a few said they wouldnt be giving up the day job---

for me i would be gone - buy a nice house with pool in spain - set up a nice bar business and relax my life away - buy an aprilia mille rsv and away i would be....

so what would you do if those lucky six numbers came up?????

Id tell all my friends i was going to travel for a year and see the world and think about what i want do with the money. I wouldn't being tell the world i won. Id just hand in my notice in work and try stop myself from laughing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Disappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Off to the US, my wife is home sick. I would set up a micro brew pub and enjoy the rest of my life. I would still be working, but it would be more of a hobby than a job to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd dish out large chunks to those I hold dear. I'd buy a titanic home with immense gardens somewhere with lots of green, then I'd buy apartments in a few select cities around the world. I'd go on a shopping spree with a carefully chosen retinue in somewhere like New York or Paris. Once I had settled into my new life of hedonistic luxury I'd do some charitable, but amusing things. Like running competitions here on After Hours where people have to draw Paint pictures and the winner get 1000 euro or something. Maybe give young people the opportunity to convince me why they should get ten thousand euro in ten thousand words or less.

Upon further thought, 10 mil isn't gonna cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i would wait til i finish college in 7 weeks.

go on my chicago trip and then would go on a RTW trip.

when i come back i'd buy myself a new car nothing special probably a 2003-2005 3 series BMW.

rest would go in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

well, first, I'd wonder how the hell I had come to be in possession of a ticket...

Then, I'd spend the rest of my life in college. Continue learning and / or doing research til the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I'd be asked nicely by local folk to give it back as it's unfair in the times of a recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

after colleting the cheque, pay off the car loans, credit union loan , credit cards and mortage and for once in a long time say "I owe no one"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Would still work but it would be on my interests (and therefore terms). Use it for my website which would also allow me to travel around the world (thank you international tournaments!

Nice house somewhere warm and sunny.

Piss some of it away of course!

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Ruu wrote: »
    I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.

Buzzzz. Office Space. What do I win?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'd buy boards.ie and become the new EVIL ADMIN, banning posters randomly just for fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

id buy a huge house with lots of land and build a motocross track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Im not greedy, i would like to win enough to buy a car (and tax and insure it for a few years) - it doesn't even have to be new - not a fun answer i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

javaboy wrote: »
    Buzzzz. Office Space. What do I win?
    I think you mean...

BUZZ

What is already a reality for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Id stick it all on red 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

ah winston ya couldnt do that when it came down to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'd be driven around in my '09 RR Phantom, pull up to bus stops and throw handfuls of 1 euro coins out the window at people. I'd wear a top-hat and a monocle on each eye and light my cicars with €500 notes.
    Then after I've blown all my money doing that, I'd go on the dole.
    Then write a book about my riches to rags story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I don't get this " wouldn't give up the day job" thing. The only thing I can put it down to is a complete lack of imagination. I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

I would buy a crappy football team, install my self as manager, and lead them to championship victory. That'd be the life.

I'd buy Falkirk....trying to win the Champions League with them at the moment. Hmm I should really take a break from Football Manager....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Pay for the MIL to be put into a padded 6x3 for the rest of her days. Then the rest of it i would spend on making up for all the **** she caused for my OH and I'd still have enough left to go mental on a disney holiday with the OH and my son when he's older!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Some things would be the norm like move out of the country to someplace like own private island (if enough money) or just some place tropical.

Other things would be illegal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Drop from secondary school.

And use it to hire tycoons and other business advisors to help me build more online businesses.

I'd put away a lot of it for future entrepreneurship, so I could launch all the businesses I wanted in the future.

Would also take the opportunity to buy out online businesses that don't realise their full potential yet. So they would sell for less than they're worth.

Also, I would start my own lotteries anywhere I could get permission.

I'd rather own the lottery than win the lottery any day. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Cigarettes. Lots of cigarettes.

And hard drives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I would fulfil my dream of engineering an army of mutant, giant baboons. Not for any sinister purposes. I just need some help around the house from time to time.

Ok, if I'm honest, I might dispatch them to seize control of Dublin Castle for a few days, but that's more to expose the inadequacies of security in that area more than anything else. My mutant baboons today, but it could be Al Qaeda tomorrow, and their mutant baboons mightn't be wearing muzzles like mine. Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'd buy boards.ie and become the new EVIL ADMIN, banning posters randomly just for fun!

Your world is rather small, isnt it Blue :p

I would do what I normally do of an evening. Several wind downers. Order a hit on someone. Nah fück it. I will do it myself.

Leave it under mattress. Take it back out and look at. Put it back under mattress. Thats all Ive got for now, but many exciting things follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Travel the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Immediately? I'm probably **** myself with excitement. After a change of togs, i'd go on a mad one.
    After collecting it, i'd like to say i'd be sensible, but in reality, i'd be dead in a week. And poor. But i'd cause such a stir that the ****ty media would have something to keep them going for about a year! Infamy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I would pay off any debts, the mortgage and that kind of thing for my parents. Would build the house of my Mam's dreams for her and get Dad a really nice car. Then I would make sure I have enough for my college fund and my sisters college fund (if I go back and if she wants to go!). Go on a holiday, build a recording studio and loads of audio gear for live sound. Get a lifetime's membership for a golf club! Get Man U and Galway United season tickets. Go see the New England Patriots in Foxboro. Learn to drive and buy a fancy car. Give some to charity of course.

I'm sure I could think of more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I've always wanted to do this,so I would buy a Harley Davidson and do Route 66.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Pay off my mortgage, travel, give some money to family and friends etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

10million..would be set for life!

Love my job but would still leave in a heart beat!
    Throw a huge party for family & friends
    Pay mortgage
    Buy a really nice car
    Open a business
    Take care of my family, friends & hubbys family
    Travel the world with my hubby, kids & take my brother with us
    Lots n lots of shopping
    Put money away for my boys

Here's to dreaming.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

I've always wanted to do this,so I would buy a Harley Davidson and do Route 66.

living the dream me too - there is a 4 month round the world motorbike tour would love to that - love to travel so would have to do that- like the add for lotto itself you come home from a gorgeous sunny destination and come home to rain it would be u turn and back on plane somewhere sunny again -

all the dreams can be lived - wud be brill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

An apartment in Manhattan, London and Dublin, a villa in the South of France or in Italy. Lots and lots of holidays and shopping trips. Give some to my family and friends. Live comfortably.

Now if only I'd actually done the lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Snap! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Abigayle wrote: »
    Your world is rather small, isnt it Blue :p
    Naaaaaa, just fell on my face again attempting to be humourous?

**B!ue looks at the sunny So Cal blue sky at just past 2PM Saturday afternoon and starts to pack for the beach! Happy Bunny Day Abigayle! I'll tip a Guinness in your easterly direction while I soak up the sun on Balboa beach in a few minutes. Silly ban Ireland has for drinking on Bunny Day!**:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

First thing I'd do is get it all in paper notes, pile it on my bed and roll around. Then a money fight with the family.

And then.....I dunno. Give a little to family members, a little to charity and shove the rest in the bank until I realise what I want to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Ok, so did anyone actually win the lotto or is it carried over until next time??

If so, i'm running for a ticket!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

An apartment in Manhattan, London and Dublin, a villa in the South of France or in Italy. Lots and lots of holidays and shopping trips. Give some to my family and friends. Live comfortably.

You'd still need to take out a loan if you were buying an apartment in manhattan.... 10 million would enable you to have a good life as long as you don't go crazy...otherwise you could end up like these fellows

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/8lotteryWinnersWhoLostTheirMillions.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

1) Invest money into my beloved Shelbourne FC.
    2) Travel the world, taking in the worlds biggest football derbies.
    3) Then the usuals, gaffs, cars, etc...

:cool:

Happy Bunny Day Abigayle! I'll tip a Guinness in your easterly direction while I soak up the sun on Balboa beach in a few minutes. Silly ban Ireland has for drinking on Bunny Day!**:cool:

Why thank you! But the smart bunnies keep reserves.

Enjoy Easter Blüe, and I will enjoy bunny day!

/Blows kisses westwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why thank you! But the smart bunnies keep reserves.

Enjoy Easter Blüe, and I will enjoy bunny day!

/Blows kisses westwards
    Buy her ^ :pac:

Buy her ^ :pac:

Rent him ^ :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Rent him ^ :pac:
    I like how this is going. Allll riiiight:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Dunno. Buy every PS3 game out and then put the rest in an account.

Actually **** that last part. I'd keep it all on a windowsill. It'd be secure as ****é there tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

tbh i think i'd $hit myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

You'd still need to take out a loan if you were buying an apartment in manhattan.... 10 million would enable you to have a good life as long as you don't go crazy...otherwise you could end up like these fellows

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/8lotteryWinnersWhoLostTheirMillions.aspx
    Damn. Reality sucks, I prefer the version in my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

I'd like to becomes some sort of local eccentric. I'd just give people money to do stupid **** like race each other down the street.

I'd pay all the publicans to only serve appletinis and pay the bookies to only take bets on the Swedish curling league. Just to see how people would react.

• Advertisement
Advertisement