Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Period Post Pregnancy

Options
  • 11-04-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Alright ladies, can I ask a personal question here, and mods, I am not using this instead of a doctor, but I want to know am I worrying about nothing before paying €40 to see the man.

How long after the baby is the first proper period? I have had discharge for the last 7 weeks that has gotten steadily lighter (as I was told it would) but still no sign of an actual period.

I think I am just stressing but is it supposed to be like before the pregnancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

With my first child I didn't get my first period until he was 9 months old but I breastfed him until he was 6+ months.

Second child was breastfed until he was 15 months and was around 16 months before I got my first post pregnancy period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Are you breastfeeding? If so, even if you give some formula to supplement, it could take months until you get your first period. I got mine some 5 weeks after stopping breastfeeding completely, when the twins were just over 7 months.

I have a few friends who didn't breastfeed at all, and they got their first period between 12 and 15 weeks after birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Gave birth to my son three weeks early, 20 min labour, breasfed. Bled for a bout a week and then six weeks later got a period, a little heavier than normal. Hope that doenst confuse the issue any more. Every body different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Conngrats by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Yes I should have mentioned I am partially breast feeding:)

Thank you all so much, I was just worried my machinery wasn't working properly!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My periods always returned about 6 weeks after stopping breastfeeding.
    With my firstborn, I did combined bottle and breastfeeding (very hungry baby!) and the other two were exclusively breastfed, so it was the same timeframe both ways regarding return of periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Unfortunately, I am getting a period even though I am exclusively breast feeding, my first was ok. my second was quite heavy!!

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

8 weeks and boy it came back with a vengeance. Didnt breastfeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chocciebutton

I had emergency c section, developed womb infection, bled solidly and heavily for 9 weeks, was on 17 tabs a day, infection went, got 1st period, that lasted 7 days, and was extremely heavy. DS is 4 now, remember it all so well, terrifying experience, but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Im still breastfeeding my 9 month old and I wish I was getting a period. Sigh. Cos Id love to start trying for another one. YOur 'machinery' is at least attempting to get in order. Im not even getting the slightest twige. Am considering formula to get stuff back on track.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have no sign of mine either, not that I want to try for another one yet:)

I am a natural worrier so I really needed a bit of reassurance on that level.

Thanks ladies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I bottlefed, period returned five months after delivery!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Quality wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I am getting a period even though I am exclusively breast feeding, my first was ok. my second was quite heavy!!

i

I'm the exact same! Bottle feeding, but my second period has been so heavy. My aunt had a baby a month after I gave birth and we were only talking about how unbelievably heavy the second period after having a baby has been!!!

Advertisement