Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke V Newcastle match thread

• 11-04-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a bit late and I can't seem to find a thread on this match already so I decided to start one.

I have to say that this is absolutely heartbreaking stuff to watch.

United did us a favour earlier on by beating Sunderland and our players should have went out all guns blazing.

Instead we have been subject to a full on assault from Stoke. I expected it for a little while during the first half but I expected us to come back into it and take the game to Stoke. This just shows how much the premier league means to Newcastle. If we do not win today then we are definitely going down. I don't see us winning against Liverpool, Spurs or Villa. We need this result badly to get a bit of confidence going into next weeks match at Spurs.

We need to stop playing this stupid 3-5-2 formation Shearer has assigned to the team. Our defence is bad enough with only having three at the back. I don't exactly trust Edgar in the centre of defence.

Fair enough Coloccini made an error last week but he's been ever present for us this season and we need someone like him with a lot of experience to keep the defence together.

Abysmal stuff so far. It can only, hopefully, get better.

Finding it hard to type this but..... HOWAY THE LADS!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Newcastle are going down imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Good match, Stoke are all over Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Newcastle are going down imo.

Unless they win here today then yes they most likely will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

its all getting a bit heated!

Had to turn the volume down, Stoke fans whistling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

red card coming soon

watch this space

Headshot wrote: »
    red card coming soon

watch this space

I'll bet ya it's gonna be Kevin Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Maybe not all so bad now!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Andy Carroll !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1-1

Dirty looper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Carroll you aboslute beaut!

Stoke 1 - 1 Newcastle, Carroll scores a looping header.

Could Newcastle sneak a win here?

come on newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol, they out-Stoked Stoke, never dealt with the long throw properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Great header.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

A draw probably doesn't change much though, badly need the win.

Its amazing what a goal does for team morale and spirit!

Howay the lads!

disgrace of a free kick there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The Stoke fans are totally obnoxious. They have been booing Ryan Taylor beause they think he "cheated" when in fact he was brought down late by Etherington who got a yellow. The way they whistle for the duration of the opposition's possetion is really annoying too.

Their players are annoying too. That Wilkinson fella is a thug, on a yellow and he just goes flying in on people, just like he did on Ronaldo. They all crowd the ref and push other players aswell.

Horrible club. Unfortunatley i think ill have to put up with them for another year.

Oh and they have Stehpen Kelly too...

Really hope Newcastle knick this. Duff is playing really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That young Carrol chap has scored some amount of important goals. Looks like he could become a very useful player.

Really hope Newcy get a second!!

• Advertisement

5 mins e/t c'mon!!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The Stoke fans are totally obnoxious. They have been booing Ryan Taylor beause they think he "cheated" when in fact he was brought down late by Etherington who got a yellow. The way they whistle for the duration of the opposition's possetion is really annoying too.

Jaysus, you haven't been to many football matches, have you?

DSB wrote: »
    Jaysus, you haven't been to many football matches, have you?

I have actually been to loads. Ive been to league matches in the Nou Camp, ive been to Old Trafford on big Champions League nights. And ive been to Cologne for a big relegation battle where the atmosphere was electric. Eircom League, SPL and Serie A too.

If you think the way Stoke fans act is like ANYWHERE else... Then you are wrong. Who else does that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The way they whistle for the duration of the opposition's possetion is really annoying too.

Its almost as if they want to put them off or something

I love Glen Whelan!

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Its almost as if they want to put them off or something

The only club that do it. Its not normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

goway outta that, stokes fans are a gas shower

probably only wigans are funnier

Are you for real?:confused:

Haha hilarious statement.

• Advertisement

I saw a shot of the Stoke fans there at the end.

I stand by my point. They are NOT normal people. :p

Draw not nearly good enough.

Piss poor performance. Our best play began in the last ten minutes. Too little too late imo.

Andy Carroll is a true geordie at heart and knows exactly what this club is about and understands the passion of the fans.

Owen was very quiet today. Delivery into him was shockingly bad.

We let the whole "Stoke are difficult to beat at home" hype get to our heads. If it wasn't for that goal we'd have been completely flattened.

It was actually a lucky goal too. Lucky deflection off one of the Stoke players to lay it onto the head of Carroll. Not taking anything away from the goal but we got a stroke of luck there.

I'm finding it very difficult these days to even show any sign of positivity towards our club. After today's dire performance I'll find it difficult to think positive for our next game.

Shearer's arrival was supposed to be an injection in the arm of the club to get out of this relegation fight but it appears that Shearer only really takes care in strikers more than defence where we are most vunerable. That might not be the case but the two games he's been in charge we've been making several basic mistakes at the back.

Is Martins injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Hard to know what we can take from that match. We were absolutely horrendous for 65 mins IMO. the passing an movement was abysmal. Stoke could have easily added to their gift of a goal. Aside from the obvious fact that it was not a corner the marking was no existent. Yet another affirmation that Ameobi is a complete waste of space.

Positives? In the last 25 the lads rolled their sleeves up and really got stuck in against a physically far larger side and IMO won the battle. I cannot remember them getting stuck in like that this season. Good to see that there is some fight there because a few players seem to think that they are above that. Perhaps this is shearers influence? Also credit due to Andy Carroll, a cracking header. I think we can use him in conjunction with Ryan Taylors throw in to bully less physical sides, starting next week against Spurs.

We also need to start getting some service to Owen. I feel today his stature worked against him. A well organized and strong Stoke side snuffed him out completely. Ironically we seem to have "done a Stoke" in the end!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Is Martins injured?

He is suffering from Adrianoitis I believe

Is Martins injured?

From what Shearer was saying post match Martins was fine all week and at 11am he said he could not play. Reading between the lines i think that there may be more to the story.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

M5 wrote: »
    From what Shearer was saying post match Martins was fine all week and at 11am he said he could not play. Reading between the lines i think that there may be more to the story.....

very professional I think, someone on 80k a week, and calls the gaffer on the morning of the biggest match of the season,'' erm I got a sore leg.''

players like this should be hung out to dry, speaking of which I think Newcastle have to do a huge clear out, its clear half the team are useless and over paid merchants.

Owen and martins should be culled from the team no question.

very professional I think, someone on 80k a week, and calls the gaffer on the morning of the biggest match of the season,'' erm I got a sore leg.''

players like this should be hung out to dry, speaking of which I think Newcastle have to do a huge clear out, its clear half the team are useless and over paid merchants.

Owen and martins should be culled from the team no question.

Absolutely you don't need someone there who is just going to sulk their way through the match. In fact if yopu consider teh staggering wages and the fact that most ppl would sacrifice an arm to get the opportunity to play premier league football its unacceptable. You can add a few more on there too, although if JFK is still in charge i cant see it. Nolan and Taylor have been poor enough signings so far as well IMO.

Does anyone remember Martins being quoted as saying he would stay if we went down. Im sure i read that somewhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Was fcuking raging when I saw Shola on the starting lineup, and as usual, he was a useless plank. Fully at fault for their goal, and lost his man several other times. Offered us nothing up front, and pulled out too many times for the 50/50 ball.

Carroll has to start from now on in if we are playing big man/little man.

Martins can jog on, he's showed fcuk all passion or commitment over the last 4 to 5 games. At least Owen will run for you and try and help the midfield out, just a pity they can't do the same for him.

Nolan is a liability. Says alot that the Boltan fans we're thanking us for taking him off them. He looks out of shape, and is very lazy in his approach. Far too many dangerous tackles as a result of his sluggishness.

Very few positives to take out of today's game, other than the point itself.

Charlie wrote: »
    Was fcuking raging when I saw Shola on the starting lineup, and as usual, he was a useless plank. Fully at fault for their goal, and lost his man several other times. Offered us nothing up front, and pulled out too many times for the 50/50 ball.

Carroll has to start from now on in if we are playing big man/little man.

Martins can jog on, he's showed fcuk all passion or commitment over the last 4 to 5 games. At least Owen will run for you and try and help the midfield out, just a pity they can't do the same for him.

Nolan is a liability. Says alot that the Boltan fans we're thanking us for taking him off them. He looks out of shape, and is very lazy in his approach. Far too many dangerous tackles as a result of his sluggishness.

Very few positives to take out of today's game, other than the point itself.

Carroll over shola +1

I said to my mate at the start "were starting with ten men here"

The problem i think we may be having is a lot of players will look at relegation as a way out. An excuse to leave. And they seem happy to trot around for the whole game. We need to get players on the pitch who will roll up their selves and get on with it. At the moment Bassong/Beye/Duff/Owen/Carroll/Taylor and Butt to a degree seem to want to be there, even if some are lacking in the ability department. Most of the rest are just picking up their bumper pay cheques.

I'm still not convinced about leaving Coloccini out. He's much better and more experienced than Edgar in that position.

As for Ameobi..... Well........ it's all been said before really.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced about leaving Coloccini out. He's much better and more experienced than Edgar in that position.

He has been at fault for 50/60% of our goals recently, maybe his hearts not in it.... Need Taylor back as Edgar is just not good enough

That_Guy wrote: »

Colo had to be dropped, he is going through woeful form. I think he's a bit overawed by it all at the moment really.

Edgar actually played well I thought, but long term, he's certainly not teh solution, as he is prone to fcuking up also.

I would go with:

Beye--Tayls--Bass--Jose

which hopefully next week, we should have at our disposal.

Also, Barton can't come back soon enough. Barton/Guthrie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aids of the legs>>>>>>Butt/Nolan.

Colo had to be dropped, he is going through woeful form. I think he's a bit overawed by it all at the moment really.

Edgar actually played well I thought, but long term, he's certainly not teh solution, as he is prone to fcuking up also.

I would go with:

Beye--Tayls--Bass--Jose

which hopefully next week, we should have at our disposal.

Also, Barton can't come back soon enough. Barton/Guthrie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aids of the legs>>>>>>Butt/Nolan.

Guthrie wasnt up to the job today. He looked handy against Chelsea tho in patches

Guthrie wasnt up to the job today. He looked handy against Chelsea tho in patches

He's still regaining match fitness. He's the only midfielder we have that actually knows how to pass the ball, rather than hoof the yoke into row Z. For that reason alone, he gets the nod from me. But considering his competition is Geremi/Butt/Cacapa/Nolan, it should be a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I saw a shot of the Stoke fans there at the end.

I stand by my point. They are NOT normal people. :p

I work with a lot of Stoke fans and they appear to be fairly normal people. I have been to a couple of games with them too and they do not turn into some kind of animal at the game either. Stoke is one of the best atmospheres at a ground that I have experienced of late.

he was brilliant in a reserves match against utd a while back

He's still regaining match fitness. He's the only midfielder we have that actually knows how to pass the ball, rather than hoof the yoke into row Z. For that reason alone, he gets the nod from me. But considering his competition is Geremi/Butt/Cacapa/Nolan, it should be a no brainer.

Of course, i agree wholeheartedly. Seems to be the only player we have, Barton aside that can pick a pass and also turn out of trouble. When fit hes decent, no doubt. He was not in the game today, in fairness fitness played a part. Jasus Nolan has been ****e, had high hopes but i suppose we should have known. Id personally drive Geremi to whatever club he wanted to join absolute donkey. Butt tries but hes past it. Cacapa is not a premier league or even championship class defender, never mind midfielder. If this was the team we could field id be happy

Harper
    Beye--Taylor--Bassong--Jose

Jonas-Barton-Guthrie-Duffer

Owen--Martins

On paper thats not a bad side. Problem is the replacements are not up to it and we play on grass not paper :-)

I'm surprised Smith didn't come on for Owen tbh today. I'd even start Smith ahead of Ameobi. Not the greatest player by any stretch but anyone's better than that waste of space Ameobi.

I work with a lot of Stoke fans and they appear to be fairly normal people. I have been to a couple of games with them too and they do not turn into some kind of animal at the game either. Stoke is one of the best atmospheres at a ground that I have experienced of late.

I was really impressed with the Stoke crowd, the place was a cauldron from start to finish! Not surprised at their home record given that kind of support.

I was really impressed with the Stoke crowd, the place was a cauldron from start to finish! Not surprised at their home record given that kind of support.

Great support from the Stoke fans and it really got to our players for around 65 minutes or so thus ending in a piss poor performance for us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement